Total Votes:[ 30 ]
1 2 3 4 >

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
(Naturally, as this thread will be discussing various plot points as a result of its nature, it will contain spoilers; PLZ use spoiler tags when discussing such things.)

So, after being hyped for months, I saw Dragon2 last night as a double-feature along with the first one, and I've gotta say... it not only wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be, it wasn't as good as the first one at all.

While it was cool to see the progression of Berk and its inhabitants, I felt like there wasn't enough of the latter. Astrid's character in particular seemed neutered, as though she had completely lost all of the feisty attitude she had in the first film, and both Fishlegs and Snotlout were reduced to 100% comic relief. Ruffnut's infatuation with Eret was amusing (if a little nonsensical), but I don't remember her twin saying a single relevant thing in the entire movie.

His mother was an interesting character, and the movie focuses a lot on her, but there was something that really bugged me about the entire Dragon Sanctuary scene: there wasn't enough of the dragons. I'm not saying that there weren't lots of gorgeous shots of them in all their colorful glory, I mean that, in the first movie, each dragon specie had the spotlight for a minute in some form or another. We learned about their strengths, weaknesses, shot limits, etc, and had a lot of Hiccup interacting with them all. In this film, Valka tells Hiccup she'll share all the dragon secrets she knows with him, and I thought "Oh, okay; cue something like the academy montage from the first movie, as we get to know all these cool new dragons"... but then we don't see that happen. No real attention in the form of screen-time is drawn to any of the new dragons.

For instance: Stoick is riding Skullcrusher these days, after giving up Thornado (more on that in a minute), and Gobber has Grump (who looks a lot like a Gronkle, but isn't one), but did anybody actually hear the name of their respective species, or any details about them? We don't even really get any info on Cloudjumper (whose name and design is apparently an homage to Star Wars), who gets a decent amount of screen time.

But it's not just the dragons that get this treatment. Hiccup's flame-sword? Offhandedly explained halfway through the movie by Hiccup, who pretty much says 'Oh, yeah; I made that' by way of explaining it. The villain? All we're really given about him is that he lost his arm to a dragon, that he's a bad dude who can't be reasoned with, and, oh yeah, he somehow has another Alpha dragon that he can control (along with others) by yelling really loudly and swinging around an ankus-headed spear.

Another thing that bugged me was how little the film drew off of the events of the two seasons of the tv series. For something that was supposed to serve "as a bridge between the first film and the sequel", the only thing from it I saw from it was Gobber playing dentist.

...And then there was "Oh, Stoick, why do you have to be so stoic?"
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Now I'd like to address the real Bewilderbeasts in the room; this section is actually being double-spoiler'd, since it's pertinent to the climax of the film:
Stoick's death pissed me off, but for the wrong reasons (not the least of which being the Ironic Echo they set up a few minutes prior to it happening). For one, it happened after what felt like all of 5 minutes of being reunited with his long-lost wife. For two, he was just dead; no final words to his son, or Valka, or anything. I know some would argue that this is more realistic - but considering that we got a "TVY7" cut-away edit when one Bewilderbeast gores another (without so much as a death knell from the fallen or a drop of blood on the aggressor's tusks), it doesn't so much feel like they're going for "darker & grittier" or anything like that. Finally, the whole thing sort of like we just traded Hiccup's dad for his mom. Overall, the scene, which was probably supposed to be the strongest moment in the movie, just sort of felt flat, to me.

As for the other thing that really bugged me, perhaps even more than Stoick's incredibly abrupt departure was Toothless' Eleventh-Hour Superpower - which was much more of a blatant Deus ex Machina, since there was no foreshadowing whatsoever of his ability to glow blue (???) and suddenly be able to exert control over other dragons (to the point of overpowering the Bewilderbeast's hold on them), as well as surpassing his shot limit (which is 6, according to the website).

In all, the film's "climax" felt a little like it was faking it.

Writer/director Dean DeBlois has referred to this film as 'his Empire Strikes Back', but IMO it falls far short of that bar. In Empire the entire supporting cast wasn't reduced to background characters, when new concepts were introduced they were actually explained, and "I am your father" packed significantly more punch that "I am your mother".

EDIT; 6/22 - The first two weekends since the movie's been out have come and gone, so I'm changing the poll, now. Here's the results of the first one:

Was HTTYD2 better than the first one?
Yes, the sequel was better: 43.4% [ 53 Votes ]
No, the first one was better: 56.6% [ 69 Votes ]
Total Votes: [ 122 ]

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Totally agree. I don't even know anything about these new dragons. Like do they have different temperaments or personalities? At least in the first one, we see Hiccup going into the arena and learning how to deal with different dragons and how they are special and different from one another, like what each one needs to be tamed.
Also agree with the death scene. It's so abrupt...

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Hitachin
Totally agree. I don't even know anything about these new dragons. Like do they have different temperaments or personalities? At least in the first one, we see Hiccup going into the arena and learning how to deal with different dragons and how they are special and different from one another, like what each one needs to be tamed.
Also agree with the death scene. It's so abrupt...
Arrg, PLZ edit your post so that last bit is inside spoiler tags; I had this spoiled for me, and did not appreciate it.

All you've got to do type "spoiler" inside of brackets [ ] before the start of the sentence, then "/spoiler" at the end in brackets.

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Arcoon Effox

Death scene. I ain't said who died.
For all we know I could be talking about the big bad boss, but okay lol.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Hitachin
Arcoon Effox

Death scene. I ain't said who died.
For all we know I could be talking about the big bad boss, but okay lol.
I know, but it's the logical conclusion that I'd jump to, so...

Anyway, thanks sweatdrop

I'm kind of split decision on it.

I really enjoyed the overall storyline, but it was just too much packed into too short of a time. I don't feel like they gave the audience enough time to react and absorb what was happening.

I think all of the major plot points felt right, but there just wasn't enough padding in between.

There definitely could have been a montage in there about Valka teaching Hiccup about the dragons, and the movie definitely would have been better for it.

It went straight from Stoick's death/funeral to LOL FUNNY BABY DRAGON scene, and it just didn't feel right. Even though Stoick didn't get a LOT of screen time in the first movie, they made him real, the gave him a connection to the audience. It was just bizarre that they just snatched him away without giving his death a more thorough treatment. I didn't feel much at all when Stoick actually died. It happened so quickly and so unexpectedly that I didn't really absorb or process it until they were into his funeral scene. Which made me cry like a b***h.

Even the characters kind of glossed over it, though. After the funeral, there was no sign that his death really was weighing on anyone. Even the loss of Hiccup's leg seems to have a more lasting impact on the tone of the film. The first ended on a note of "We barely won. We lost some things, and it will take time to adjust, but we have big changes coming on the horizon and our future is looking up." The second sort of felt like "Lol everything's cool nothing bad happened."

And honestly... the soundtrack was a disappointment. The soundtrack can make or break a movie, and in this one, it was more a hindrance than a help. Honestly, they could have kept everything as it was, and redid the soundtrack, and I think it would have helped the audience keep up with the fast-paced plot while still maintaining the proper impact of the actual events.

The entire film was filled with tired rehashes of the tune from "This is Berk/Astrid Goes for a Spin" that didn't fit at all. The few times that the music wasn't like that, it just didn't seem to fit at all. For example, when Hiccup first discovers the ice-encased ship belonging to Eret, the music was extremely intense and borderlining a frightened/ing tone, while the 'camera-work' and characters reactions seemed more like curiosity fused with a bit of concern or awe. It didn't work at all and made me unsure of how I should be taking in the scene.

I heard mention that the TV series isn't canon.
This is apparently word-of-god, although I never saw a source, so I'm not sure if it's true.

I thought Snotlout, Fishlegs, and the twins were always sort of the joke characters. Even in the first movie. But the lack of Tuffnut was truly sad since he's one of my favourites. I disagree on Astrid, though. I didn't feel like her spirit died at all. Still really competitive, outgoing, supportive, aggressive, commanding, and courageous. Maybe Hiccup's softened her up a bit, but that's about it. Hiccup himself has changed. He's not as sarcastic. So I guess the kids just grew up.

I'm sure a lot of things just had to be cut out for time, they already crammed a lot in there. The TV series is supposedly going to explain the flame-sword (and flight suit).

The only complaint I had of Stoick's death was that it seemed to have been brushed aside after the fact. I guess I wanted something a little more at the very end at least.

I don't know if it's very clear in the movie, but ANY dragon can become an alpha, so long as it defeats the alpha before it. So Toothless took control over the other dragons when he showed power over Drago's Alpha. Basically like any species that lives in groups with a dominant male.
Hearts_Are_Cold

I'm kind of split decision on it.

I really enjoyed the overall storyline, but it was just too much packed into too short of a time. I don't feel like they gave the audience enough time to react and absorb what was happening.

It went straight from Stoick's death/funeral to LOL FUNNY BABY DRAGON scene, and it just didn't feel right.

Even the characters kind of glossed over it, though. After the funeral, there was no sign that his death really was weighing on anyone. Even the loss of Hiccup's leg seems to have a more lasting impact on the tone of the film. The first ended on a note of "We barely won. We lost some things, and it will take time to adjust, but we have big changes coming on the horizon and our future is looking up." The second sort of felt like "Lol everything's cool nothing bad happened."

My friend and I both felt the pacing was just too fast. I loved everything, but I was really expecting at least one scene that was some kind of equivalent to Forbidden Friendship. This was just... one thing after another. Which was fine for the beginning, because you don't want to be sitting on your hands, but it never slowed down.

This is basically how I felt. But at the same time I know they can't spend forever on his death when the climax is just around the corner. I just wanted some more acknowledgement or something.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Hearts_Are_Cold
...Even the loss of Hiccup's leg seems to have a more lasting impact on the tone of the film. The first ended on a note of "We barely won. We lost some things, and it will take time to adjust, but we have big changes coming on the horizon and our future is looking up." The second sort of felt like "Lol everything's cool nothing bad happened."
Actually, speaking of that...

At the end of the first movie, in the (incredibly poignant) scene when Hiccup realizes he's an amputee, we get that shot of him walking towards the door, supported by Toothless. As he walks, we see Toothless' tail swish across camera, reminding us that he's missing his left tail-fin.

(In case it's not cued to where it should be, skip to 3:40)
They do this to present the parallel between them - they're the same, now.

Now, bearing that in mind: Drago's arm, and the Bewilderbeast's tusk.

~~~

MooMooJuice
This is apparently word-of-god, although I never saw a source, so I'm not sure if it's true.
Interesting; Wikipedia (and now Netflix) states that the series "serves as a bridge between the first film and its 2014 sequel".

Do you remember where you heard it was non-canon?
MooMooJuice
The TV series is supposedly going to explain the flame-sword (and flight suit).
...but it didn't; I spent the last two weeks re-watching the series as sort of a primer to go into the new movie.

Are you talking about the 3rd season? If so, I thought it was supposed to span events between the 2nd & 3rd movies...

MooMooJuice
I don't know if it's very clear in the movie, but ANY dragon can become an alpha, so long as it defeats the alpha before it. So Toothless took control over the other dragons when he showed power over Drago's Alpha. Basically like any species that lives in groups with a dominant male.
Is this a device from the books, by any chance?

Either way, having it explained in the film would have been really nice, along with even an inkling of foreshadowing about Toothless having his Godzilla power-up.
MooMooJuice

Pretty much. I suppose I just wish it were longer.

Can I get like an extended cut, pls? I need some nice bonding scenes or something.

I'd really hoped to see more of Valka and Stoick together.

Also your sig art is fabulous. Your HTTYD art in general is fabulous.

Can I keep you?

Arcoon Effox

The parallels between Bewilderbeast and Drago with Hiccup and Toothless definitely caught my eye as soon as it happened.

Makes me expect that we haven't seen the last of Drago.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Hearts_Are_Cold
Hearts_Are_Cold
Makes me expect that we haven't seen the last of Drago.
Well, if the whole 'they fell into the sea and the bodies weren't found' part wasn't enough, there was the extra shot of Hiccup pensively looking out over it, with dialog to suggest as much.

Huh. That just made me realize something else that was lacking in the movie: Valka does little else than shed a single tear when Stoick dies, but we do get her shooting an arrow during his 'viking funeral'.

Contrast that to what she did at the funeral scene for the fallen Alpha, the dragon she revered almost to the point of worship.
Arcoon Effox
Hearts_Are_Cold
...Even the loss of Hiccup's leg seems to have a more lasting impact on the tone of the film. The first ended on a note of "We barely won. We lost some things, and it will take time to adjust, but we have big changes coming on the horizon and our future is looking up." The second sort of felt like "Lol everything's cool nothing bad happened."
Actually, speaking of that...

At the end of the first movie, in the (incredibly poignant) scene when Hiccup realizes he's an amputee, we get that shot of him walking towards the door, supported by Toothless. As he walks, we see Toothless' tail swish across camera, reminding us that he's missing his left tail-fin.

(In case it's not cued to where it should be, skip to 3:40)
They do this to present the parallel between them - they're the same, now.

Now, bearing that in mind: Drago's arm, and the Bewilderbeast's tusk.

~~~

MooMooJuice
Interesting; Wikipedia (and now Netflix) states that the series "serves as a bridge between the first film and its 2014 sequel".

Do you remember where you heard it was non-canon?
MooMooJuice
The TV series is supposedly going to explain the flame-sword (and flight suit).
...but it didn't; I spent the last two weeks re-watching the series as sort of a primer to go into the new movie.

Are you talking about the 3rd season? If so, I thought it was supposed to span events between the 2nd & 3rd movies...

MooMooJuice
Is this a device from the books, by any chance?

Either way, having it explained in the film would have been really nice, along with even an inkling of foreshadowing about Toothless having his Godzilla power-up.

I was expecting Hiccup to compare his leg when Drago revealed his missing arm tbh.

Tumblr, I think. No where official, unfortunately.

Yes, the 3rd season was already confirmed to take place after the second season, but before the second movie (although I would sure have loved to see more Valka. Hopefully DreamWorks gives us some more short films like Gift of the Night Fury but after the sequel).

I haven't read the book, so I have no idea. If you look under the Bewilderbeast profile on the official website, though, it says as much. (I'd just copy and paste the text, but it won't allow me, and I don't feel like typing it all)
Basically, Bewilderbeast are so far above other dragons in terms of size and power that few dragons can challenge their status. So they just naturally become leaders. But another dragon species to become an alpha is not out of the question.

No explanation for Toothless' power up, other than it probably had something to do with Valka revealing that 'secret' of his.
Considering how young Toothless is (assuming httyd dragons are like other dragons and live for years and years and years), I don't think it's entirely farfetched to think that he is still maturing into his full potential. Really, we just have nothing to compare him to. I'd really really love if the third movie actually gave us some insight to his species. (One in particular: is he indeed the last of his kind and why) It's a thing that's mentioned and poked at again and again. I can't imagine them not going anywhere with it.
Hearts_Are_Cold
MooMooJuice

Pretty much. I suppose I just wish it were longer.

Can I get like an extended cut, pls? I need some nice bonding scenes or something.

I'd really hoped to see more of Valka and Stoick together.

Also your sig art is fabulous. Your HTTYD art in general is fabulous.

Can I keep you?

I certainly would not turn down more dragons.
Thanks. Ha, I don't know if you'd want to keep me.
MooMooJuice

For real. I spent half the movie bewildered by Gobber's Big-Salamander-Gronkle-Dragon. I really want to see more of the Dragons and such.

I'm stoked for the HTTYD2 art book. And I think it would be really cool if they released like a 'dragon guide' for all the dragons they showed and didn't explain.

Also, maybe I just need to watch the series more. But Thunderdrums' size-differences were interesting. In what I've seen about the show, Stoick almost crushed Thornado because he wasn't much larger than Stoick himself. But then in the opening scene, Toothless glides under the wing of what looked like a Thunderdrum to me, and Toothless's entire wingspan doesn't match that of just one of its' wings. Is Thornado just a baby?

I guess I have to get caught up on the show.

And awwww, I dunno about that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces