Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Genius

I saw it & I think this really is Tim Burton's big comeback, it has everything that to me makes Tim the amazing director he is but this one had something the other greats didn't it had his emotions I felt that this time we got into the lighter side of Tim Burton's soul, we got into his heart

This was based on a childhood experience and it is a remake of an old short film he made for those who weren't aware (:

Anyone else who saw it want to share reactions ? (:

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Object of Affection 150
I thought Frankenweenie had a distinctly Edward Scissorhands-y feel. This meshes with your idea that the film is a glimpse into Burton's heart as the latter dealt with the feelings of isolation that he was suffering at that stage in his life, and Burton himself stated that Edward Scissorhands is his most personal film. Let's hope this marks a permanent return to form for him as a director and he stays away from making any more horrible adaptations or remakes of other people's works in the future.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150

I want to see it, but honestly... something about the trailer just wasn't all that captivating for me. It felt weak. But that could easily just be a poor trailer rather than reflecting on the film's quality.

That said, I'm very iffy on Burton as a director. I've loved some of his work, and hated others. Very few 'in the middles'.

Liberal Genius

spoonybard111
I thought Frankenweenie had a distinctly Edward Scissorhands-y feel. This meshes with your idea that the film is a glimpse into Burton's heart as the latter dealt with the feelings of isolation that he was suffering at that stage in his life, and Burton himself stated that Edward Scissorhands is his most personal film. Let's hope this marks a permanent return to form for him as a director and he stays away from making any more horrible adaptations or remakes of other people's works in the future.

Totally agree 3nodding

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Poeden

I want to see it, but honestly... something about the trailer just wasn't all that captivating for me. It felt weak. But that could easily just be a poor trailer rather than reflecting on the film's quality.

That said, I'm very iffy on Burton as a director. I've loved some of his work, and hated others. Very few 'in the middles'.

I had the same feeling about the trailer but the movie itself was good. It's not his best work, but it's definitely better than Charlie in the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland. I guess it depends on which of his movies you loved and whether or not you're into classic monster movies.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
spoonybard111
Poeden

I had the same feeling about the trailer but the movie itself was good. It's not his best work, but it's definitely better than Charlie in the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland. I guess it depends on which of his movies you loved and whether or not you're into classic monster movies.

Only Tim Burton movies I really loved were Big Fish, Sweeney Todd, and Sleepy Hollow. Nightmare Before Christmas if counted, but I don't include it.

Not crazy about really old monster movies, but I don't mind newer movies 'inspired' by them.
I want to
see if just due
to its about a dog...

Liberal Genius

Poeden
spoonybard111
Poeden

Only Tim Burton movies I really loved were Big Fish, Sweeney Todd, and Sleepy Hollow. Nightmare Before Christmas if counted, but I don't include it.

Not crazy about really old monster movies, but I don't mind newer movies 'inspired' by them.

Well I love Edward Scissorhands, that's my all time favorite film that he made, I loved beatlejuice as well 3nodding

I feel that all his movies were great, I even liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I think they were great until after Sweeny Todd, that was an amazing film, I adore it but after that one was released, his films began to suck, well it's only been 2 misses, Frankenweenie has awaken hope again (:

Plus remember, Tim Burton movies weren't released so quickly behind each other, if I remember right we had to wait like 2 years for another burton movie to amaze us and The last two that sucked terribly followed each other quickly, yea Frankenweenie immediately followed Dark Shadows but it seems that Burton took more time with this one than the one before, they were probably being made at the same time and since he always wanted to make this one a full length film, it's understandable to see why he would take more time on it than the other one

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
starsies
Poeden
spoonybard111
Poeden

Well I love Edward Scissorhands, that's my all time favorite film that he made, I loved beatlejuice as well 3nodding

I feel that all his movies were great, I even liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I think they were great until after Sweeny Todd, that was an amazing film, I adore it but after that one was released, his films began to suck, well it's only been 2 misses, Frankenweenie has awaken hope again (:

Plus remember, Tim Burton movies weren't released so quickly behind each other, if I remember right we had to wait like 2 years for another burton movie to amaze us and The last two that sucked terribly followed each other quickly, yea Frankenweenie immediately followed Dark Shadows but it seems that Burton took more time with this one than the one before, they were probably being made at the same time and since he always wanted to make this one a full length film, it's understandable to see why he would take more time on it than the other one

Can't say I agree all his films up until the two before Frankenweenie were good... did you SEE Mars Attacks and Planet of the Apes?

Liberal Genius

Poeden
starsies
Poeden
spoonybard111
Poeden

Can't say I agree all his films up until the two before Frankenweenie were good... did you SEE Mars Attacks and Planet of the Apes?

I did and yeah they were a bit on the corny side but they were still good in my opinon it wasn't as good as the others but still good in my opinion it wasn't as mediocre as Alice or Dark Shadows
Just saw it today. It was really entertaining.

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Really liked it!

It definitely felt like classic Burton.

Simple storyline, but also twisted and hilarious at lots of points. Refreshing since Burton pays attention to details like developing Victor's classmates' personalities and motivations as opposed to making a prostitute of a movie wherein the special effects and look of characters are the show a la Alice in Wonderland.

Generous Giver

7,875 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Timid 100
I love his work so much but my favorite will always be "Edward Scissorhand' heart
FRANKENWEENIE!~ that would be a must watch!~ heart

Versatile Poster

I was disappointed with it. To me it felt just as soulless as Dark Shadows did. What I didn't like about Frankenweenie is that there were too many characters with not enough depth to their personalities. I feel that if Burton had done with this what he had done with Corpse Bride and focused the story on a couple of well-developed characters, I would have enjoyed it more.

But then again, I'm in the minority when it comes to which of Burton's films I prefer, because I have been totally enamored with Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory while I didn't care much for Beetlejuice (the live-action film) or Nightmare Before Christmas (if that counts as a Burton movie).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff