Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magic Spirit

17,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Survivor 150
I don't go to the movies often, so I had a toss up between Frankenweenie and Hotel Transylvania. I decided to go with Frankenweenie only because it's what my fiance preferred. The fantastic news is that I wasn't disappointed at all! Granted it had a little bit of a slow start (I found myself saying 'is the dog gonna die already?) and towards the end it seemed to drag on a little...but for the most part I really liked it.

I couldn't help but laugh every time that cat came on. It was just....so creepy LOL

Liberal Genius

Dalek Alex
I was disappointed with it. To me it felt just as soulless as Dark Shadows did. What I didn't like about Frankenweenie is that there were too many characters with not enough depth to their personalities. I feel that if Burton had done with this what he had done with Corpse Bride and focused the story on a couple of well-developed characters, I would have enjoyed it more.

But then again, I'm in the minority when it comes to which of Burton's films I prefer, because I have been totally enamored with Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory while I didn't care much for Beetlejuice (the live-action film) or Nightmare Before Christmas (if that counts as a Burton movie).

It's great to see the other side of the coin so thank you for the post, I agree with you, yes I guess the characters could've been better developed since he had individual posters for them that advertised the movie but Idk for me it worked that way, well actually I guess like you did go into the depth of the character's personalities, like the asian kid is devious, the tall skinny kid is the same only well maybe less than the asian kid, weird girl is into psychic things and her cat is psychic haha and victor is a lonely kid who likes it that way as long as sparky is there

Elsa, her uncle, edgar, I think we got a look into all the character's personalities well, I mean maybe it wasn't done like in Alice and the Willy wonka film but I'm guessing that's because in this one it's not a big intricate tale like those, since someone else wrote them, this is just a simple tale that he thought of in his younger years, I felt soul in it because I guess it's an experience that everyone that's had a pet can relate with you know and Tim had been wanting to take this story to the big screen for the longest time 3nodding

Partying Punching Bag

20,825 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I really want to see this movie, I love the short and was happy when they re-leased it on the Nightmare Before Christmas anniversary DVD.

The trailer looked amazing and i hope the movie is going to be better than some of his more recent works.

Versatile Poster

starsies
Dalek Alex
I was disappointed with it. To me it felt just as soulless as Dark Shadows did. What I didn't like about Frankenweenie is that there were too many characters with not enough depth to their personalities. I feel that if Burton had done with this what he had done with Corpse Bride and focused the story on a couple of well-developed characters, I would have enjoyed it more.

But then again, I'm in the minority when it comes to which of Burton's films I prefer, because I have been totally enamored with Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory while I didn't care much for Beetlejuice (the live-action film) or Nightmare Before Christmas (if that counts as a Burton movie).

It's great to see the other side of the coin so thank you for the post, I agree with you, yes I guess the characters could've been better developed since he had individual posters for them that advertised the movie but Idk for me it worked that way, well actually I guess like you did go into the depth of the character's personalities, like the asian kid is devious, the tall skinny kid is the same only well maybe less than the asian kid, weird girl is into psychic things and her cat is psychic haha and victor is a lonely kid who likes it that way as long as sparky is there

Elsa, her uncle, edgar, I think we got a look into all the character's personalities well, I mean maybe it wasn't done like in Alice and the Willy wonka film but I'm guessing that's because in this one it's not a big intricate tale like those, since someone else wrote them, this is just a simple tale that he thought of in his younger years, I felt soul in it because I guess it's an experience that everyone that's had a pet can relate with you know and Tim had been wanting to take this story to the big screen for the longest time 3nodding

Thanks so much for respecting my opinion. I appreciate that. I suppose you're right in that Burton wanted this to be a simple tale rather than an epic like Alice or Willy Wonka. I guess it's a matter of personal taste - I tend to prefer more character-driven works rather than simpler ones.

This may be slightly off-topic but it's bugging me that I still can't figure out why I didn't like Dark Shadows though, since it was character-driven and I usually get enjoyment out of Burton's remakes. I guess the reason why it bothers me is because I was crazy-hyped to see it, and I can't put my finger on exactly why I didn't feel as emotionally involved with Barnabas like I did with, say, the Mad Hatter or Willy Wonka.

Liberal Genius

Dalek Alex
starsies
Dalek Alex

Thanks so much for respecting my opinion. I appreciate that. I suppose you're right in that Burton wanted this to be a simple tale rather than an epic like Alice or Willy Wonka. I guess it's a matter of personal taste - I tend to prefer more character-driven works rather than simpler ones.

This may be slightly off-topic but it's bugging me that I still can't figure out why I didn't like Dark Shadows though, since it was character-driven and I usually get enjoyment out of Burton's remakes. I guess the reason why it bothers me is because I was crazy-hyped to see it, and I can't put my finger on exactly why I didn't feel as emotionally involved with Barnabas like I did with, say, the Mad Hatter or Willy Wonka.

Well for me Dark Shadows was boring, I was excited for it too but you can tell Burton wasn't too crazy about making that film, it shows lol it was fast paced, the jokes weren't really funny and it was just dull for me, as for Barnabas not being as cool as Mad Hatter or Willy Wonka, it might have something to do with this character not being as colorful and cheerful like the last two, it's a vampire that was put to sleep for years by force haha but I think in the original Barnabas had his funny moments but maybe it's on Johnny's part too cos remember he was going through his divorce at the time of this film

Versatile Poster

starsies
Dalek Alex
starsies
Dalek Alex

Well for me Dark Shadows was boring, I was excited for it too but you can tell Burton wasn't too crazy about making that film, it shows lol it was fast paced, the jokes weren't really funny and it was just dull for me, as for Barnabas not being as cool as Mad Hatter or Willy Wonka, it might have something to do with this character not being as colorful and cheerful like the last two, it's a vampire that was put to sleep for years by force haha but I think in the original Barnabas had his funny moments but maybe it's on Johnny's part too cos remember he was going through his divorce at the time of this film

Yeah, you're right - Dark Shadows was kind of boring. And Barnabas was a pretty serious character. I don't recall him smiling much during the movie. I tend to not get very emotionally attached to serious characters, probably because I myself have a tendency to be overly serious and it's draining to be that way (if that makes any sense?) Looking back, Barnabas reminds me of Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow, which was another character that I didn't take to very well. (Although unlike Dark Shadows I actually do enjoy watching Sleepy Hollow because I enjoy the spooky atmosphere of the movie and it's not boring.)

Also, I had totally forgotten that Johnny Depp was in the middle of his breakup with Vanessa Paradis while Dark Shadows was being filmed! That could explain why, in my opinion, I thought that his performance lacked the passion that you usually find in Johnny Depp roles. I don't know why Burton's directing was lackluster though. Maybe it was because Depp was the one who persuaded him to do the project rather than him deciding to do it out of his own love for the subject matter? question

Liberal Genius

Dalek Alex
starsies
Dalek Alex
starsies
Dalek Alex

Yeah, you're right - Dark Shadows was kind of boring. And Barnabas was a pretty serious character. I don't recall him smiling much during the movie. I tend to not get very emotionally attached to serious characters, probably because I myself have a tendency to be overly serious and it's draining to be that way (if that makes any sense?) Looking back, Barnabas reminds me of Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow, which was another character that I didn't take to very well. (Although unlike Dark Shadows I actually do enjoy watching Sleepy Hollow because I enjoy the spooky atmosphere of the movie and it's not boring.)

Also, I had totally forgotten that Johnny Depp was in the middle of his breakup with Vanessa Paradis while Dark Shadows was being filmed! That could explain why, in my opinion, I thought that his performance lacked the passion that you usually find in Johnny Depp roles. I don't know why Burton's directing was lackluster though. Maybe it was because Depp was the one who persuaded him to do the project rather than him deciding to do it out of his own love for the subject matter? question

Well I've heard from people on here and read it on a site too ^^ll that burton didn't give his all to his last films because he was forced to make them like in order for the studios to let him do his own thing he had to make something else and as an artist I guess when you're really into that one thing and someone tells you to do something else you won't give it your all because you're not feeling it, it's not something that has your inspiration you know ? So Depp's persuading must have been like a "let's just do this" kind of thing maybe
starsies

Dark Shadows was actually a passion project for Burton and Depp. They were fans of the show when they were kids, and it was Depp's dream to play Barnabas in a film ever since he was really young.

The trouble is, Warner Brothers was very apprehensive about the tone Burton was going for, and they figured they should just treat it like a comedy. That meant cutting out a huge chunk of running time (there's around an hour's worth of deleted scenes, but they only put like 6 minutes or so on the DVD and Blu-Ray), and when so much of a film is chopped out like that, character development is bound to take a hit.

Greedy Noob

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
i love the trailer where the kid screams 'your dog is alive'

Liberal Genius

Captain Talavar
starsies

Dark Shadows was actually a passion project for Burton and Depp. They were fans of the show when they were kids, and it was Depp's dream to play Barnabas in a film ever since he was really young.

The trouble is, Warner Brothers was very apprehensive about the tone Burton was going for, and they figured they should just treat it like a comedy. That meant cutting out a huge chunk of running time (there's around an hour's worth of deleted scenes, but they only put like 6 minutes or so on the DVD and Blu-Ray), and when so much of a film is chopped out like that, character development is bound to take a hit.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know all of this ? cos in all the Tim Burton threads I've been in you've made a point as to what was going on and so far it's seemed to be right since "frankenweenie" was a hit for him 3nodding

6,925 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
spoonybard111
Poeden

I want to see it, but honestly... something about the trailer just wasn't all that captivating for me. It felt weak. But that could easily just be a poor trailer rather than reflecting on the film's quality.

That said, I'm very iffy on Burton as a director. I've loved some of his work, and hated others. Very few 'in the middles'.

I had the same feeling about the trailer but the movie itself was good. It's not his best work, but it's definitely better than Charlie in the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland. I guess it depends on which of his movies you loved and whether or not you're into classic monster movies.

I think my favorite movie of his was "Beetlejuice". Although I liked the original Batman with Michael Keaton. And have you noticed how much he loves to work with Danny Elfman?
It was intresting, make favourite character had to be the sister 'skinny waist' 'big butt' xd

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Trick or Treat 100
I loved this movie. The characters, the way the story was built up from the original...brilliant, the animation. Loved it biggrin

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Trick or Treat 100
Finally it's out on Blu ray in Australia....And soon to be in my Blu ray collection by the end of the week wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff