Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Genius

So what are you guys' thoughts on this movie ?

I know "Alice in Wonderland" and "Dark Shadows" was a huge drag but I personally have faith in this one because it's an original idea from him ( well not completely original sweatdrop ) it was his first short film, if I'm not mistaken. The original short film of this was good and maybe this one might have that same magic...hopefully 3nodding

Dapper Lunatic

I think it's kind of silly that they remade it in a different format, so I'm not terribly tempted to see it.

I thought the original was charming and a good representation of his unique style. This new one will probably have lost all of that, but I would love to be wrong on this.

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
I pretty much agree with both of you. I want to see it because it looks similar to Burton's old style. But I have felt rather let down by his new works (although Alice in Wonderland was apparently really popular, which I don't get because I didn't care for it. I thought it was okay).
I'm looking forward to it. Why? He has free reign on this one. Alice In Wonderland was made for Disney as a deal. It's not one he wanted to do, but they made a deal that if he made that movie for them and it was successful, he would get free reign on a remake of his short, Frankenweenie. Alice was successful despite him totally sleepwalking through it, so with this Disney has pretty much let him do whatever he wants.

I enjoyed Dark Shadows but it's painfully obvious that he clashed with Warner Brothers over that movie, creatively. I think he started with creative control when he shot it, or at least for part of the shoot, but at some point while they were making it somebody got pissed at somebody and it spiraled out of control. It's clear when you consider how they didn't start marketing until March, when the film came out in May, not to mention that it was released a week after a guaranteed box office giant. Finally, just think about this: Danny Elfman had a pretty great score written for it, and almost none of it was used. If that doesn't scream "conflict in the editing room" I don't know what does, because not only are there photos of the film from scenes that were nowhere near it, but apparently about an hour of footage had been chopped out of the film. The biggest complaint was pace and character development, and if Burton struggled in the editing room, that's not his fault. It's the execs who were probably breathing down his neck.

ANYWAY, Frankenweenie looks great. I think the fact that it's been done as stop-motion animation only helps keep it from being redundant, not to mention it's a long-form remake of a short-form film.

Dapper Lunatic

Sevi Rais
I pretty much agree with both of you. I want to see it because it looks similar to Burton's old style. But I have felt rather let down by his new works (although Alice in Wonderland was apparently really popular, which I don't get because I didn't care for it. I thought it was okay).

I don't understand why it was popular either. I've always been enamoured with Burton because of his earlier definitive style seen in Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Frankenweenie, etc. Somehow he always managed a mix of wistfulness, horror, and whimsy. His latest films seem to be hollow versions of their predecessors, there in body but lacking the vital Burton spark. Maybe he's just a little burnt out on the Hollywood scene but I just feel like he's just not enthusiastic about his art anymore. Or it could be execs breathing down his neck.
Eira Gwynn
Sevi Rais

I don't understand why it was popular either. I've always been enamoured with Burton because of his earlier definitive style seen in Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Frankenweenie, etc. Somehow he always managed a mix of wistfulness, horror, and whimsy. His latest films seem to be hollow versions of their predecessors, there in body but lacking the vital Burton spark. Maybe he's just a little burnt out on the Hollywood scene but I just feel like he's just not enthusiastic about his art anymore. Or it could be execs breathing down his neck.

Context is always important. You'll notice that a lot of the films that turn out really bad are ones where the director doesn't have enough creative control. Sure, once in a while a director needs to keep his or her ambition in check, but for the most part the studio suit types have no idea how to make a movie.

Alice he only did to have full control on Frankenweenie and Dark Shadows was clearly a matter of fighting behind the scenes.

Liberal Genius

Sevi Rais

I think Alice as popular cos remember alice is a story that's very popular, everyone loves it most likely because you know how it has drug references, and people expected a lot from it because it was from a director who does twisted takes on things. I also think it's popular because most of the kids that went to see it weren't familiar with his old works, this was their first "burton" film, you know ? most were scene kids trying to fit in...the people who are familiar with his old works are the ones that saw through it

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it. Why? He has free reign on this one. Alice In Wonderland was made for Disney as a deal. It's not one he wanted to do, but they made a deal that if he made that movie for them and it was successful, he would get free reign on a remake of his short, Frankenweenie. Alice was successful despite him totally sleepwalking through it, so with this Disney has pretty much let him do whatever he wants.

I enjoyed Dark Shadows but it's painfully obvious that he clashed with Warner Brothers over that movie, creatively. I think he started with creative control when he shot it, or at least for part of the shoot, but at some point while they were making it somebody got pissed at somebody and it spiraled out of control. It's clear when you consider how they didn't start marketing until March, when the film came out in May, not to mention that it was released a week after a guaranteed box office giant. Finally, just think about this: Danny Elfman had a pretty great score written for it, and almost none of it was used. If that doesn't scream "conflict in the editing room" I don't know what does, because not only are there photos of the film from scenes that were nowhere near it, but apparently about an hour of footage had been chopped out of the film. The biggest complaint was pace and character development, and if Burton struggled in the editing room, that's not his fault. It's the execs who were probably breathing down his neck.

ANYWAY, Frankenweenie looks great. I think the fact that it's been done as stop-motion animation only helps keep it from being redundant, not to mention it's a long-form remake of a short-form film.

Yea I agree the fact that it's stop motion makes me hopeful as well and yea it's a longer version. Also I like how the characters have been made, especially "weird girl" she looks just like this illustration of his poetry book, she looks like the little girl who stares haha. But I get what you're saying, I discussed this with you before haha, yeah obviously Burton didn't have control over the last two films but if that was the case I guess we'll find out with this one...

5,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
What's that? Tim Burton is making yet another remake of an existing property? Except this time it's one of his earlier films? Oh I'm SO excited. burning_eyes
Mutant Headcrab
What's that? Tim Burton is making yet another remake of an existing property? Except this time it's one of his earlier films? Oh I'm SO excited. burning_eyes

The irony of course is that you appear to be a Hellsing fan, one of many, many, many takes on Dracula that have been made over the years.

Tim Burton is playing in the best toy box money can buy, and he's picking out his favorite toys to play with. What's the big deal?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff