Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Lionheart

14,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Has anyone seen the new Sherlock Holmes adaption by CBS? I have and I think it's fantastic.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. (x)

I think one of the most fantastic things about Elementary is casting Lucy Liu as Joan Watson - it's a clear breakaway from most shows and adaptations since it cast a woman of colour in what is typically a white male role. The show's basis has Sherlock Holmes (played by Jonny Lee Miller) fresh out of rehab and living in New York to get away from his past, and Joan Watson as a surgeon who walked away from the practice after losing a client. Watson is hired by Holmes' father to act as Holmes' 'sober companion' to help him adjust to life after rehabilitation (and keep him in line while doing so). It's an interesting take on lesser known aspects of both their lives and has them meeting at the lowest points and helping each other build themselves back up.

If anyone's interested, it's on CBS 10 PM EST on Thursdays! Two episodes have aired so far and it's really great. Has anyone else seen it yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

(By the way, I'm a big fan of BBC's Sherlock as well, but I really won't tolerate fans coming here and acting as if Sherlock was the end-all, be-all for Sherlock Holmes adaptations. If I must, I will break out my annotated volumes by William Baring-Gould and do a thorough take-down of why Elementary is just as fair and decent as Sherlock. Believe me, I'm extremely capable. Also, racism and sexism towards Liu's casting will definitely not be tolerated. Thanks!)

Hopeful Bookworm

Captain Sway
Has anyone seen the new Sherlock Holmes adaption by CBS? I have and I think it's fantastic.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. (x)

I think one of the most fantastic things about Elementary is casting Lucy Liu as Joan Watson - it's a clear breakaway from most shows and adaptations since it cast a woman of colour in what is typically a white male role. The show's basis has Sherlock Holmes (played by Jonny Lee Miller) fresh out of rehab and living in New York to get away from his past, and Joan Watson as a surgeon who walked away from the practice after losing a client. Watson is hired by Holmes' father to act as Holmes' 'sober companion' to help him adjust to life after rehabilitation (and keep him in line while doing so). It's an interesting take on lesser known aspects of both their lives and has them meeting at the lowest points and helping each other build themselves back up.

If anyone's interested, it's on CBS 10 PM EST on Thursdays! Two episodes have aired so far and it's really great. Has anyone else seen it yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

(By the way, I'm a big fan of BBC's Sherlock as well, but I really won't tolerate fans coming here and acting as if Sherlock was the end-all, be-all for Sherlock Holmes adaptations. If I must, I will break out my annotated volumes by William Baring-Gould and do a thorough take-down of why Elementary is just as fair and decent as Sherlock. Believe me, I'm extremely capable. Also, racism and sexism towards Liu's casting will definitely not be tolerated. Thanks!)

I am so excited! I still need to watch it and all but I am very interested. I like that they decided to go with a uncommon route almost making Sherlock all there own. I hope it goes well.

Divine Lionheart

14,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
ll Amitiel ll
I am so excited! I still need to watch it and all but I am very interested. I like that they decided to go with a uncommon route almost making Sherlock all there own. I hope it goes well.

Like I said, I've seen both episodes out so far and I love it! The dynamic between the two is interesting, fresh, and new~ The creators genderswapped Watson because in the books, Holmes has a serious mistrust of women in general, so they thought they would work with that dynamic.

Also, Lucy Liu's Watson faces are priceless. She has that down 100%!

Inquisitive Spirit

42,350 Points
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
  • Ian's Valentine 100
I really like it. 3nodding I've been a fan of Jonny Lee Miller for a long while. I really enjoy him as Holmes. I too am a fan of the BBC show but I really like the dynamics of Elementary. I want to see more! biggrin

Divine Lionheart

14,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
RAPsody Ltd
I really like it. 3nodding I've been a fan of Jonny Lee Miller for a long while. I really enjoy him as Holmes. I too am a fan of the BBC show but I really like the dynamics of Elementary. I want to see more! biggrin

Woo! Another fan!

I think it's hilarious that both JLM and Cumberbatch played in Frankenstein in the same roles and now they're both different versions of Holmes. JLM's Holmes is such a puppy! He reminds me of Ronald Howard's version~

I wish there was an episode this week, but the US VP debates are on instead, bawww.

Familiar Member

7,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
I just started the series recently. I actually kind of like the fact that it doesn't take much of your attention span compared to BBC Sherlock's (that runs more than an hour). But ugh I love Joan Watson so much!

Divine Lionheart

14,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
lizlemonparty
I just started the series recently. I actually kind of like the fact that it doesn't take much of your attention span compared to BBC Sherlock's (that runs more than an hour). But ugh I love Joan Watson so much!
I'm really used to the mysteries since I've seen too much Law and Order, but I like it. Holmes solved /interesting/ cases, but he also solved plenty that appeared mundane at first.

Joan Watson is the best! She's definitely my favourite Watson at the moment~

Dedicated Entrepreneur

I like how they actually bring up his dug problems. Most other productions gloss over it.

I just watched the new episode. It was pretty cool but some parts were a bit of a stretch.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

Captain Sway
lizlemonparty
I'm really used to the mysteries since I've seen too much Law and Order, but I like it. Holmes solved /interesting/ cases, but he also solved plenty that appeared mundane at first.

Joan Watson is the best! She's definitely my favourite Watson at the moment~
I actually thought she was extremely dull.

Divine Lionheart

14,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
ProjectLazy
I like how they actually bring up his dug problems. Most other productions gloss over it.

I just watched the new episode. It was pretty cool but some parts were a bit of a stretch.
Some productions HAVE to leave it out - the Russian series couldn't even mention it because of their laws.

The mysteries aren't the main focus, it's the relationship between Holmes and Watson. Watson is far from dull, she's better at observing than any other Watson (besides probably Ian Hart's or certain parts of the Granada Watsons) and keeps Holmes in line fairly well.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

Captain Sway
ProjectLazy

Some productions HAVE to leave it out - the Russian series couldn't even mention it because of their laws.

The mysteries aren't the main focus, it's the relationship between Holmes and Watson. Watson is far from dull, she's better at observing than any other Watson (besides probably Ian Hart's or certain parts of the Granada Watsons) and keeps Holmes in line fairly well.
the last eps was the first one I've watched start to finish. She was dull in that but I'm being told they had a rift between them.
I tried. I tried so freaking hard to like this show.

After failing to stay awake the last three attempts to watch it I pretty much had to write it off.

Divine Lionheart

14,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Kyoujin Tsuru
I tried. I tried so freaking hard to like this show.

After failing to stay awake the last three attempts to watch it I pretty much had to write it off.
You could probably try watching it earlier.

Divine Lionheart

14,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
ProjectLazy
the last eps was the first one I've watched start to finish. She was dull in that but I'm being told they had a rift between them.
They did. A bit prying into each other's pasts and it's a bit heavy right now, but it's starting to mend again.

You should probably try watching it from the beginning. It's easier to get a read on their individual characters that way.

And again, she's way better than most other Watsons I've seen, lol.

Mega Fatcat

I've seen bits and pieces of it from time to time.
From what I have seen, He's all over the place owo like a kid in a candy store lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff