Welcome to Gaia! ::

B Banzai
Didn't hate it, but it was underwhelming. Though it says it is looking for the historical Dracula, I am ignoring how it completely conflicts with history, because, well, vampire flick.

For the good, Charles Dance was almost worth the price of (matinee) admission, reminding me of Nicol Williamson's turn in Excalbur by flavor more than substance.

For the bad? Gah, a lot. It felt like the kick off of an Avengers franchise rather than a complete film, (and I disliked Captain America for the same reason.) It was way to light a fluff to renovate Dracula into a hero, and really, do we need to? Also, there has never been a good PG-13 vampire film. Ever.

So, it wasn't Van Helsing, but it still wasn't very good.

I disagree.

1) It's more historically accurate than you may think, including Dracula's depiction. Many elements of the plot are straight from the true story.

2) There's only a couple of things that suggest its place in the Monster Universe, which were added during reshoots. Otherwise it was initially made as a stand-alone thing.

3) All the best Dracula films are under an R rating, including the original 1931 film that started the original Monster Universe. Also the novel, if filmed accurately, would probably get a PG-13. Vampires don't require explicit blood and gore. The best examples have a minimalist approach, including Shadow of the Vampire, the only vampire film in which the vampire was nominated for an Oscar for his performance. Said film was admittedly rated R, however it's largely for language and a very brief moment of unnecessary nudity.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Captain Talavar
Well, I've seen it. Twice. And it's awesome. ******** the haters. Their whining is unfair andrea lly quite ignorant.

I highly recommend you guys check it out.

Personally, my issue with the movie was they seemed to spend too much time on "I'm turning into a monster but I love my family what do I do?" (I get why they did it, but it was still...bleh). Honestly it could have done with more bits of him killing Turkish soldiers or figuring out the full extent of his powers or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff