What was the best epic battle?

Season 2: Buffy vs Angelus 0.29888357256778 29.9% [ 937 ]
Season 3: Buffy vs. the Mayor 0.11642743221691 11.6% [ 365 ]
Season 4: Buffy vs. Adam 0.1170653907496 11.7% [ 367 ]
Season 5: Buffy vs. Glory 0.15151515151515 15.2% [ 475 ]
Season 7: Buffy vs the Hellmouth 0.31610845295056 31.6% [ 991 ]
Total Votes:[ 3135 ]

Anxious Noob

I just finished the last episode of season 7! I'm sooo sad it ended and I hated that Anya died...and that she's the only one who died annd the way she died. Well, "technically" it seems like Spike died too, but I know he'll be in Angel.

I really really liked Spike in season 7 though. I hated the whole sexual relationship Buffy and Spike had in season 6, but I love their relationship in season 7. The part when Spike turned into dust was so darn sad though it would've been sadder if I didn't know that he really didn't died.

The ending was really happy, but sad at the same time. I miss the whole tight knit circle the original scooby gang had in season 1 to 4. And I'm gonna miss Sunnydale. I'm gonna try to read the comic book, but it seems too epic with all the slayers and technology. I'm gonna miss the show so much...the actors in Buffy were so perfect for their roles...I guess I'm just gonna have to watch Angel now. Hey, maybe in a few years I can re-watch Buffy for the third time all over again! : D

Oh yeah, I don't like Willow with Kennedy...Willow moved on so fast. Why can't she be with Oz again? I love Tara and Oz, but not Kennedy. She's cool too, but I don't really like Willow and her together. : (
Lalaworld
The part when Spike turned into dust was so darn sad though it would've been sadder if I didn't know that he really didn't died.

True, true that. cry

The moment when Buffy holds Spike's hand and he looks down to meet her eyes ( whenever he looks at Buffy, his eyes always convey this inquisitive anticipation, as if waiting for her to possibly say, "I love you" ) was heartbreaking. She finally says it, but Spike replies, "No, you don't, but thanks for saying it."

I used to feel bitter that Angel ever split with Buffy and that Spike would eventually take his place, so I used to wish Spike would just go away. Angel and Buffy were supposed to be forever. Now I just feel bad for ever wanting that.

I really admire Spike now. He was what people called a "sentimental fool", a victim of social derision, and he was deeply hurt by unreciprocated love, all of which drives him to give up his soul (to be sired) for "effulgence". That was what Drusilla promised him anyway. Even as a vampire, even without a soul, he could still love his mom like he always had. Even without a soul, he was capable of loving others passionately. And whomever he loved, he cared about and stayed faithful to.

Even as a vampire, "a different man" as Spike liked to say, he could love others more than anyone else could ever love him back. He was continually abandoned and rejected by those he loved (his mom, Drusilla, then Buffy). In the end, he was still able to forgive and love his mom despite her cruelty to him. After Drusilla left him, he was left broken and unable to move on until he fell in love with Buffy. And even though he loved Buffy and did everything he could to make her happy, he never expected anything in return. He just wanted the person he loved to be happy. He was the ultimate lover and a martyr. He earned that pendant well, the one that he wore to his death, that is meant to be worn only by champions.

Sammirah

I like Tara's character, and I sort of get that the creators meant for her to be a little awkward and shy... but you're right in saying that Amber Benson's acting never really pulled it off. I know it sounds strange, but she's very awkward playing awkard.

And has anyone else noticed all the former Buffy actors making appearances on Supernatural? Amber Benson, Mercedes McNab, Charisma Carpenter, and James Marsters!

I like Tara too. She was the only character that I felt was truly accepting of everyone. So far, I think she's the only one who's been kind to everyone. She was mild mannered and a peacemaker. If Tara had lasted till the final battle with The First, I'd imagine she'd be the only one who wouldn't give Andrew an attitude. Oh, Tara. cry I just can't believe Willow was able to move on so quickly, after how she reacted to Tara's death? Willow almost destroyed the world for Tara, and for Willow to start something with Kennedy just cheapens the whole evil Willow thing for me.

Annnnd... I obviously can't tell when someone is a bad actress because I never once cringed at anyone's acting in the show. :/
Salvatore Graziano

Hated Dawn. It's even worse when you find out that Michelle Trachtenberg only got on the show because she consistently whined to her agent about getting her on. She's just so extremely pointless. She offers nothing to the series as a character, or an actor. They could have just as easily had some unimportant person be the key. Would have had the same general effect, and they still could have gone ahead with the whole Glory/Ben bit.

Also, not too sure I'm clear on what you're asking for. Buffy continues canonically through comics, Season 8 has already been completed. Season 9 is being released as they complete it. What sort of things are you looking for?

I disagree. Without Dawn, Buffy would not have sacrificed herself in Dawn's place (she was able to only because they share the same blood). Xander, Willow, Anya, and Tara would never have had to resurrect Buffy, and The First wouldn't have had the chance to manifest. Spike wouldn't have gotten to ultimately redeem himself. The whole final season would be different.

Dawn was also the medium through which Spike first earned Buffy's trust. He risked his life to save Dawn, then promises Buffy that he would protect Dawn with his life. Even after Buffy dies, Spike continues protecting her sister, saying that he had once promised Buffy to do so. This really lets us see Spike's nobler side. Earned my respect for him, at least.

Dawn also represents the typical sister that feels inferior in the face of a "more competent", "more privileged" sister. I think this is a common experience among many people who grow up with siblings. Dawn is a relatable person. And although most people are probably irritated by her "whining" and overall insufferable attitude, those traits are real. Real people can be like that. I don't think just because a character has some irritating and persistent flaws, she automatically deserves the boot for being real. Sisters, especially, view each other as this annoying. And how can anyone blame her attitude if she was raised by a single parent and overshadowed by Buffy all her life? Not to mention that people around her are always leaving or dying and that her entire past never really existed.

I think Dawn does very well considering her circumstances. She has flaws, but she genuinely cares about everyone around her. You can tell by the way she gets so attached to all of Buffy's friends and boyfriends. She does what's right, as illustrated by that scene where she easily surrenders her brief glory as a supposed potential slayer (something she has always dreamt of being) to the person who deserves it.

Dawn also gives us the chance to hear that little inspirational speech by Xander. He reveals to Dawn his feelings of how it is like to spend 7 years with Buffy as the sidekick who watches as all his friends grow strong and he remains as just the guy who fixes the windows. He expresses how difficult it is to live so close to the spotlight all the while knowing that he would never be in it. But he sees something extraordinary in Dawn (he saw her courage and her willingness to forfeit power) even though she does not have the power and strength that make Buffy special.

Who else to share this intimate confession than with someone who is going through the same?

From that encounter, we're reminded of how sensitive Xander is, the way he sees things others don't (remember when he saw through Buffy and Riley's relationship?). He is in tune with how others feel and is always the one to comfort others. This also leads to one of the central messages of Buffy: that everyone has a role to play, whether in the spotlight or behind-the-scenes. We are all important. Buffy would not have made the decisions she has or been the person she is today if it wasn't for her family and friends.

I guess my point is that not everyone has to be likeable, not everyone has to make major contributions. In reality, there are people that are considered pointless, so why should this be any different in a T.V. show that aims to be believable? In this case, I think Dawn plays an important role though. She definitely helps propel the plotline as well as add to the character development of others, like Spike, Buffy, and Xander.

Sammirah

I like Tara's character, and I sort of get that the creators meant for her to be a little awkward and shy... but you're right in saying that Amber Benson's acting never really pulled it off. I know it sounds strange, but she's very awkward playing awkard.

And has anyone else noticed all the former Buffy actors making appearances on Supernatural? Amber Benson, Mercedes McNab, Charisma Carpenter, and James Marsters!

Amber Benson was also on Grey's Anatomy for one episode, and she was slightly annoying but I don't think the character was that great.
Sessile Traveler
Salvatore Graziano

Hated Dawn. It's even worse when you find out that Michelle Trachtenberg only got on the show because she consistently whined to her agent about getting her on. She's just so extremely pointless. She offers nothing to the series as a character, or an actor. They could have just as easily had some unimportant person be the key. Would have had the same general effect, and they still could have gone ahead with the whole Glory/Ben bit.

Also, not too sure I'm clear on what you're asking for. Buffy continues canonically through comics, Season 8 has already been completed. Season 9 is being released as they complete it. What sort of things are you looking for?

I disagree. Without Dawn, Buffy would not have sacrificed herself in Dawn's place (she was able to only because they share the same blood). Xander, Willow, Anya, and Tara would never have had to resurrect Buffy, and The First wouldn't have had the chance to manifest. Spike wouldn't have gotten to ultimately redeem himself. The whole final season would be different.

Dawn was also the medium through which Spike first earned Buffy's trust. He risked his life to save Dawn, then promises Buffy that he would protect Dawn with his life. Even after Buffy dies, Spike continues protecting her sister, saying that he had once promised Buffy to do so. This really lets us see Spike's nobler side. Earned my respect for him, at least.

Dawn also represents the typical sister that feels inferior in the face of a "more competent", "more privileged" sister. I think this is a common experience among many people who grow up with siblings. Dawn is a relatable person. And although most people are probably irritated by her "whining" and overall insufferable attitude, those traits are real. Real people can be like that. I don't think just because a character has some irritating and persistent flaws, she automatically deserves the boot for being real. Sisters, especially, view each other as this annoying. And how can anyone blame her attitude if she was raised by a single parent and overshadowed by Buffy all her life? Not to mention that people around her are always leaving or dying and that her entire past never really existed.

I think Dawn does very well considering her circumstances. She has flaws, but she genuinely cares about everyone around her. You can tell by the way she gets so attached to all of Buffy's friends and boyfriends. She does what's right, as illustrated by that scene where she easily surrenders her brief glory as a supposed potential slayer (something she has always dreamt of being) to the person who deserves it.

Dawn also gives us the chance to hear that little inspirational speech by Xander. He reveals to Dawn his feelings of how it is like to spend 7 years with Buffy as the sidekick who watches as all his friends grow strong and he remains as just the guy who fixes the windows. He expresses how difficult it is to live so close to the spotlight all the while knowing that he would never be in it. But he sees something extraordinary in Dawn (he saw her courage and her willingness to forfeit power) even though she does not have the power and strength that make Buffy special.

Who else to share this intimate confession than with someone who is going through the same?

From that encounter, we're reminded of how sensitive Xander is, the way he sees things others don't (remember when he saw through Buffy and Riley's relationship?). He is in tune with how others feel and is always the one to comfort others. This also leads to one of the central messages of Buffy: that everyone has a role to play, whether in the spotlight or behind-the-scenes. We are all important. Buffy would not have made the decisions she has or been the person she is today if it wasn't for her family and friends.

I guess my point is that not everyone has to be likeable, not everyone has to make major contributions. In reality, there are people that are considered pointless, so why should this be any different in a T.V. show that aims to be believable? In this case, I think Dawn plays an important role though. She definitely helps propel the plotline as well as add to the character development of others, like Spike, Buffy, and Xander.

I have to admit, at first, I was totally not going to respond to this at all. However, after further thought I have decided to do just that. First and foremost, none of what you said, refutes my idea of the key being replaced by some other character who didn't stick around. I'm going to address things as they come to me, so bear with me.

First, Spike. Spike happens to be a favorite character of mine through the Buffyverse canon. All of Spike's integral character changes are centered around Buffy. Only Buffy. Before the incident on the tower when Spike addresses Buffy about protecting Dawn while he is gone, he takes all of Glory's abuse and never gives Dawn up. Buffy undertakes the guise of 'roboBuffy' to feel Spike out, and finds out that he didn't give her up. This is the first time Buffy voluntarily kisses Spike, this is the first time Buffy truly looks at Spike like he has the ability to be something else. This event alone is enough to build off of to make Spike travel to Africa to get himself his soul. WHICH, I might add, was not his original intention. He meant to go to Africa to get the chip removed, so he could harm Buffy for 'wronging' him. Of course, Whedon had always planned for that moment to be Spike getting his soul, but James Marsters played it as if he was getting the chip removed, because that's what he was told.

So, realistically, Dawn/Michelle Trachtenberg was not necessary for Spikes crucial development.

Also, I should take this time to clarify that it's mostly Michelle Trachtenberg I can't stand, I feel if the character was played by someone else I may not feel the same way I do. Or, at least, perhaps not as strongly as I feel about it.

Onward.

With Buffy's Batman mentality when it comes to humans no matter who the key was, she wouldn't have allowed said person to be sacrificed. The whole blood thing is circumstantial to the character being related to Buffy, they could have done something different and still had the same effect.

Now, for my key point. The First wouldn't have had a chance to manifest? I hope this was a joke. The First first manifests in Season 3 when Angel comes back from the hell dimension that Acathla sucks him into. It uses Jennifer Calender as its first manifestation, and uses her most consistently. The First, according to the Buffyverse, has existed since the dawn of time, so it could have realistically manifested whenever the hell it felt like.

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sessile Traveler
Salvatore Graziano

Well said!
Salvatore Graziano

I have to admit, at first, I was totally not going to respond to this at all. However, after further thought I have decided to do just that. First and foremost, none of what you said, refutes my idea of the key being replaced by some other character who didn't stick around. I'm going to address things as they come to me, so bear with me.

First, Spike. Spike happens to be a favorite character of mine through the Buffyverse canon. All of Spike's integral character changes are centered around Buffy. Only Buffy. Before the incident on the tower when Spike addresses Buffy about protecting Dawn while he is gone, he takes all of Glory's abuse and never gives Dawn up. Buffy undertakes the guise of 'roboBuffy' to feel Spike out, and finds out that he didn't give her up. This is the first time Buffy voluntarily kisses Spike, this is the first time Buffy truly looks at Spike like he has the ability to be something else. This event alone is enough to build off of to make Spike travel to Africa to get himself his soul. WHICH, I might add, was not his original intention. He meant to go to Africa to get the chip removed, so he could harm Buffy for 'wronging' him. Of course, Whedon had always planned for that moment to be Spike getting his soul, but James Marsters played it as if he was getting the chip removed, because that's what he was told.

So, realistically, Dawn/Michelle Trachtenberg was not necessary for Spikes crucial development.

Also, I should take this time to clarify that it's mostly Michelle Trachtenberg I can't stand, I feel if the character was played by someone else I may not feel the same way I do. Or, at least, perhaps not as strongly as I feel about it.

Onward.

With Buffy's Batman mentality when it comes to humans no matter who the key was, she wouldn't have allowed said person to be sacrificed. The whole blood thing is circumstantial to the character being related to Buffy, they could have done something different and still had the same effect.

Now, for my key point. The First wouldn't have had a chance to manifest? I hope this was a joke. The First first manifests in Season 3 when Angel comes back from the hell dimension that Acathla sucks him into. It uses Jennifer Calender as its first manifestation, and uses her most consistently. The First, according to the Buffyverse, has existed since the dawn of time, so it could have realistically manifested whenever the hell it felt like.

Okay, well, then, thanks for choosing to respond. :/ Not sure if you're trying to be depreciating in your post...

But I think you're right, that Dawn could have been replaced by someone else, but that would change many, many things, and not for the better, the way I see it. Even if she COULD be replaced, that doesn't make her a "pointless" character that "offers nothing to the series". Because she does, and I personally like what she has to offer and her character makes enough sense for me to find her tolerable. I understand if you don't because different things matter to different people after all.

I like Buffy's transition as an only child to her role as an older sister. That expands the range of audience that can relate to her. It's kind of weird that no one in the scooby gang has siblings.
Then there's this big responsibility that Buffy is left with when Joyce dies. As the older sister, she struggles to be the grown-up for Dawn. That was the major transitional phase to adulthood for Buffy. I mean, she's already learned how to take care of herself (she could be self-sufficient if she wanted to, as seen by the time when she ran off to take on the identity of Anne) and now, we get to see as she really struggles to take on the responsibility as a guardian. That was a very difficult time for her and we suddenly see how vulnerable she could be, and during this time, again, opportunities opened up for Spike to be that shoulder to lean on. Ultimately, Buffy says to Giles that Spike is the only one who can watch her back (during this time, Giles decided to leave for England because he felt it was the only way she could learn self-reliance). Whenever Buffy needed someone to watch over her family, she resorted to Spike because he was the only one "strong enough", creating this familial bond between them. The way he was so accepted by the family implied he could be a family man, and he was, the way he loved his mom.

This is why I'm convinced having some kind of sister role is integral to the series. Ultimately, this transitional phase strengthened Buffy and prepared her for the responsibility of looking after all the young potential slayers. It made her a better leader.

Also, maybe I shouldn't have used the word manifest. According to the eye thing that Giles and Anya sought information from, The First was given the opportunity to wreak havoc on Sunnydale to such a massive extent is because of Buffy's resurrection.

Why do you dislike Michelle Trachtenberg anyway? Just that she "whined" to get casted? I personally don't like looking up the actors/actresses that play the roles because it might affect the way I see the characters in the show. I also really hate seeing an actor/actress from one show in another. Really messes up my perception.
Sammirah

Well said!

Thanks for the tip emotion_c8

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sessile Traveler
Sammirah

Well said!

Thanks for the tip emotion_c8

I thought you defended Dawn well. I like her as a character, and I think you're right in that she was a catalyst for a lot of the early positive Spike/Buffy interactions.

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
There's a channel here in Canada that's been playing one episode of Buffy every weeknight. I started watching it a couple months ago and they were in the middle of season 2. Season 6 starts tonight. whee I don't think I've ever re-watched any of seasons 6 and 7 (except, of course, for Once More With Feeling.)
Sessile Traveler
Sammirah

I like Tara too. She was the only character that I felt was truly accepting of everyone. So far, I think she's the only one who's been kind to everyone. She was mild mannered and a peacemaker. If Tara had lasted till the final battle with The First, I'd imagine she'd be the only one who wouldn't give Andrew an attitude. Oh, Tara. cry I just can't believe Willow was able to move on so quickly, after how she reacted to Tara's death? Willow almost destroyed the world for Tara, and for Willow to start something with Kennedy just cheapens the whole evil Willow thing for me.

Annnnd... I obviously can't tell when someone is a bad actress because I never once cringed at anyone's acting in the show. :/

Always thought myself that Amber Benson did a great job on her role as Tara. As for Willow. The way its always been shown as. And something I still see it as. Is that each season is basically a year. So by the time the last season has already come around. Its basically been a year after Tara's death. Granted, Willow has lingering issues over it of course. And whether you liked it or not. Kennedy did basically help Willow to be able to move on and be happy.
Sessile Traveler
Salvatore Graziano

Onward.

Okay, well, then, thanks for choosing to respond. :/ Not sure if you're trying to be depreciating in your post...

But I think you're right, that Dawn could have been replaced by someone else, but that would change many, many things, and not for the better, the way I see it. Even if she COULD be replaced, that doesn't make her a "pointless" character that "offers nothing to the series". Because she does, and I personally like what she has to offer and her character makes enough sense for me to find her tolerable. I understand if you don't because different things matter to different people after all.

I like Buffy's transition as an only child to her role as an older sister. That expands the range of audience that can relate to her. It's kind of weird that no one in the scooby gang has siblings.
Then there's this big responsibility that Buffy is left with when Joyce dies. As the older sister, she struggles to be the grown-up for Dawn. That was the major transitional phase to adulthood for Buffy. I mean, she's already learned how to take care of herself (she could be self-sufficient if she wanted to, as seen by the time when she ran off to take on the identity of Anne) and now, we get to see as she really struggles to take on the responsibility as a guardian. That was a very difficult time for her and we suddenly see how vulnerable she could be, and during this time, again, opportunities opened up for Spike to be that shoulder to lean on. Ultimately, Buffy says to Giles that Spike is the only one who can watch her back (during this time, Giles decided to leave for England because he felt it was the only way she could learn self-reliance). Whenever Buffy needed someone to watch over her family, she resorted to Spike because he was the only one "strong enough", creating this familial bond between them. The way he was so accepted by the family implied he could be a family man, and he was, the way he loved his mom.

This is why I'm convinced having some kind of sister role is integral to the series. Ultimately, this transitional phase strengthened Buffy and prepared her for the responsibility of looking after all the young potential slayers. It made her a better leader.

Also, maybe I shouldn't have used the word manifest. According to the eye thing that Giles and Anya sought information from, The First was given the opportunity to wreak havoc on Sunnydale to such a massive extent is because of Buffy's resurrection.

Why do you dislike Michelle Trachtenberg anyway? Just that she "whined" to get casted? I personally don't like looking up the actors/actresses that play the roles because it might affect the way I see the characters in the show. I also really hate seeing an actor/actress from one show in another. Really messes up my perception.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was not trying to be depreciating. I suppose my quoted statements of Dawn as a character are a bit dramatic, and if we look at them semantically, then they're also wrong. She isn't 'pointless,' and the character isn't lacking in what she adds to the show. To be fair.

I think I just dislike Michelle Trachtenberg. I don't find her agreeable, in any way. Even though I am aware that her immaturity is supposedly a part of her character I tend to find it outlandish. It's so drastic in comparison to the constantly evolving, maturing characters of the Buffyverse. I think that has something to do with it, and it may not be all but that's probably the core of my problems with her. Also, I find her high pitched squealing to be unbearable. I mean, holy hell.

Also, I know what you're referring to about the conversation with the eye. I just look at it as retcon, but who knows. For me, a great deal of things get out of hand during 7. Particularly the whole potentials fest. Not related to my upcoming rant, I really don't care for Kennedy either.

Onwards.

Unless I misunderstand the Slayer stuff, it is actually impossible for there to ever be more then one Slayer at a time. The ancient shamans in Africa that bound the demon to the original Slayer only bound one demon. Now, once more, unless I am misunderstanding... When the Slayer dies, the demon bound to her is forced to find another potential to be bound too. In this way, there will always be one Slayer.

While I understand the axe and all that, it just seems so cheap to me. More and more retconning. It's not that bad over all, it just seems very strange to me, because season 8 is a bit out there, and I think the example 7 set didn't help that. I also think they did a better job with Whedon's magical ability to develop characters within the television series, as opposed to the canonical continuation in the comics. I haven't started 9, but 8 just doesn't seem to do the whole character development for me.

fradrian's Significant Otter

Vicious Witch

39,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Rebel Spark 50
I voted for season 7 finale, but buffy against Angelus was really pretty epic
I was a big Glory V Willow fan myself

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff