Welcome to Gaia! ::

Offizier Wolfgang
Layra-chan
"It takes no talent to make because it isn't made with real instruments."

A synthesizer sure looks like a real instrument to me. After all, it resembles any keyboard instrument. Even if you're not playing it, you still can't just write music without knowledge of music and expect to create a masterpiece.

The real point that these Luddites are trying to make is that since most of the time electronic music is not played in real-time at the point of recording, but is rather done on a computer or hardware sequencer/looper/whatever, it doesn't take any playing skill and therefore is less legitimate as music.
They're hung up on the act of physical playing rather than composition, as if playing other people's compositions were all there was to music (cf. all those people who want to be DJs), mostly because most of them couldn't write anything but four-chord tripe if their lives depended on it. And sure, there's something to be said for expressive playing, but for the vast majority there's no creativity going on, at least not in the aspect that they're focusing on. Technical ability is not art; I thought we learned this with the punk movement but apparently not.

The Committee Staff Member

eskAe
Offizier Wolfgang

eskAe
ive met a number of people who insist hipsters came from us

What does this even mean?

whats the matter with your comprehension, are you unaware of the hipster trend?

If I tell you that I'm not sure what the definition of a hipster is, then I'm going to be called one. So by that logic, if I didn't know what a goth was, then I'd be considered one, apparently, even though I don't dress, act, listen, or do what a goth does. I'm aware of a hipster trend, I just don't know what the definition of a hipster is. I'm being very legitimate here. So if you could give me a true definition instead of all sorts of definitions by everybody else, then that would be great.

Layra-chan
The real point that these Luddites are trying to make is that since most of the time electronic music is not played in real-time at the point of recording, but is rather done on a computer or hardware sequencer/looper/whatever, it doesn't take any playing skill and therefore is less legitimate as music.

Well, if that's how they're going to go about it, then I guess if I take real (acoustic) music such as classical music and write it all out on my computer, then sorry, Beethoven. You're not a real musician. Your music is on the computer, and so it isn't in real-time.

Layra-chan
They're hung up on the act of physical playing rather than composition, as if playing other people's compositions were all there was to music (cf. all those people who want to be DJs), mostly because most of them couldn't write anything but four-chord tripe if their lives depended on it. And sure, there's something to be said for expressive playing, but for the vast majority there's no creativity going on, at least not in the aspect that they're focusing on. Technical ability is not art; I thought we learned this with the punk movement but apparently not.

Well, a synthesizer is played physically, and it can be played expressively. Even in a DAW, you can make the notes expressive, change up the timbre, add dynamics, etc. Perhaps not in real-time. Tweak the bpm if you must. As for creativity, what would they like us to do? Play a song with a swing feeling to it? But I guess some people are just too elitist.
Offizier Wolfgang
eskAe
Offizier Wolfgang

eskAe

If I tell you that I'm not sure what the definition of a hipster is, then I'm going to be called one. So by that logic, if I didn't know what a goth was, then I'd be considered one, apparently, even though I don't dress, act, listen, or do what a goth does. I'm aware of a hipster trend, I just don't know what the definition of a hipster is. I'm being very legitimate here. So if you could give me a true definition instead of all sorts of definitions by everybody else, then that would be great.

to my understanding, a hipster is somebody that likes obscure and unpopular things just for the sake of being different. its what the middle school losers that go around shouting "PENGUIN" grow up to be.

eskAe
Offizier Wolfgang
eskAe
Offizier Wolfgang

eskAe

to my understanding, a hipster is somebody that likes obscure and unpopular things just for the sake of being different. its what the middle school losers that go around shouting "PENGUIN" grow up to be.

Is that it? Thanks for not being a douche and actually explaining. I really mean it. Thanks.
eskAe
CAMSHIP
PsyCraft
Tuonetar
"ZOMG I LOVE DUBSTEP!!!!111"

Mfw:

User Image

^^^

I try and not get worked up over this, seeing as brostep has been generalized with the early forms of "true" dubstep. The damage has already been done by media outlets, so getting angry at that is kind of pointless. I understand the discontent of the shelling of a whole hardcore underground genre, but I personally find dubstep to be a vass genre now, just not particular to one style, it's almost as early dubstep deserves a new name now that it has evolved so rapidly.

EDIT: Or you just ******** hate Skrillex people, same diff

yeah this is definitely an obnoxious pet peeve of mine, people who act like original dubstep didnt suck too. granted, its not as bad as the american brostep, but the brits arent really known for interesting music
It's really funny, come to think of it. For our buddy Skrillex was still doing his emo hardcore band thing when dubstep was doing it's mostly underground (to America) thing.
Myth: All Bass Wobbles are Dubstep.

Fact: Dub Music, Jungle and Drum n' Bass did it first, goddamn it. And they weren't as retarded as Dubstep bandwagoners turned them into.

Also, this thread is great.

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
I have the biggest pet peeve for when some idiot calls anything that's electronic music 'techno.'

When kids think that sampling anything is stealing someone else' work, because they don't understand how music software or turntables work. (******** metalheads)

When idiots praise artists like Lady Gaga for example, who uses constant octave jumps in her music in order to keep it from sounding too boring. They don't understand that it's the same exact ******** note, only an octave higher because they haven't been musically trained at all. This also applies to Lil Wang for using the same snare drum in every god damn track.

When someone assumes that just because something is on the computer, it's easy and everything is done for you. Talk about downs syndrome. I had some douche bag who's two years older than me try to argue with me about how making hip hop takes no talent, because he was a ******** metalhead who didn't understand how music software works at all.

I should've made him cry, but I was merciful. He still came off as a huge dumbass to everyone in the room though and shut up as soon as I explained how it works.
Yeah, "ohhh..." is right.

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
eskAe

That's freaking hilarious.
They came from avant garde s**t if anything. They're obsessed with anything that's abstract or isn't the norm. "DAS SO AVANT GARDE I LUV IT."
Just because a band is becoming well known to the general public or "mainstream" or doing massive concerts instead of little shows or is delving into a IT genre aka "brostep" that you're a poser, suck, or a TRUE edm fan. And that you can't like the "mainstream" stuff and the TRUE EDM at the same time.

Too much musical elitism among EDM fans.

Tipsy Smoker

8,800 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
I hate that so many people think that all people who listen to EDM do drugs, and judge them in a bad way because of it. (Ecstasy or Molly as main ones)
I know lots of people who stay sober when going to shows or raves.
As for me, I started experimenting with E and molly BEFORE I got into EDM. So, yeah.. I'm an "EDM druggie" like they like to say. But it's not because of EDM, or FOR EDM.
I take Molly when I go to rock concerts, or even when I'm just at a raging party.
It's the wannabe prostitots who roll hard as ******** and makes fools of themselves that cause this misconception. Seems to me that they don't actually enjoy the music, but rather the attention and feeling.

I also hate that people don't know that there's subgenres, it's not all 'techno' or 'dubstep' rolleyes
I mean, I know I couldn't identify everything, but I know there's a difference, and I know the general sense of most sub genres.
lol kids that call it "molly". molly is a fat chick. mali is MDMA.
Have I posted yet about how I hate it when people use either house or electro in place of "electro house"?

BECAUSE I HATE THAT s**t.
Exotic Rave Angel
I hate that so many people think that all people who listen to EDM do drugs, and judge them in a bad way because of it. (Ecstasy or Molly as main ones)
I know lots of people who stay sober when going to shows or raves.
As for me, I started experimenting with E and molly BEFORE I got into EDM. So, yeah.. I'm an "EDM druggie" like they like to say. But it's not because of EDM, or FOR EDM.
I take Molly when I go to rock concerts, or even when I'm just at a raging party.
It's the wannabe prostitots who roll hard as ******** and makes fools of themselves that cause this misconception. Seems to me that they don't actually enjoy the music, but rather the attention and feeling.

I also hate that people don't know that there's subgenres, it's not all 'techno' or 'dubstep' rolleyes
I mean, I know I couldn't identify everything, but I know there's a difference, and I know the general sense of most sub genres.

I hate that in music... People think if I listen to this (Phish lol) I have to smoke weed, or if I like EDM - X, or if I like some trip-hop ...cid.
Yes I have partaken in drugs but I've been sober for 2 years now and like music for music. It never was about the girls or the scene or the drugs.

People need to grow up.

Likewise as an aside just because I like the internet and xbox doesn't mean I'm a teen living in mom's basement covered in taco bell, doritos and mountain dew....

Greedy Capitalist

PsyCraft
Tuonetar
"ZOMG I LOVE DUBSTEP!!!!111"

Mfw:

User Image

^^^

^x100000000

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff