Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friend

I feel like there is a whole lot of hate going on in this sub-forum and the growing EDM community pertaining to misconceptions that people associate with EDM in general.

Keeping the hate train a'moving:

What is the biggest misconception that people make about EDM that justifiably grinds your gears?
Give examples!

The Committee Staff Member

Myth: All electronic music is techno. Trance and techno, or any other genre all sound the same, therefore calling it either/or doesn't matter. After all, they use electronic sounds and have a repetitious 4-to-the-floor beat.

Fact: Actually, like acoustic music, electronic music has many different genres and sub-genres. To say that techno, trance, house, or anything that is electronic music is all the same is to say that rock and roll is the same as heavy metal. Though each genre uses similar instruments, it doesn't make them the same genres. Some genres like D&B have an awful lot of syncopation when it comes to the beat.

Myth: Rap, and hip hop are better than electronic music.

Fact: Actually, it's safe to say that rap, and hip hop are genres of electronic music. They use drum machines and sample, amongst other things electronic based.
"It takes no talent to make because it isn't made with real instruments."
"ZOMG I LOVE DUBSTEP!!!!111"

Mfw:

User Image
Offizier Wolfgang
Myth: All electronic music is techno. Trance and techno, or any other genre all sound the same, therefore calling it either/or doesn't matter. After all, they use electronic sounds and have a repetitious 4-to-the-floor beat.

Fact: Actually, like acoustic music, electronic music has many different genres and sub-genres. To say that techno, trance, house, or anything that is electronic music is all the same is to say that rock and roll is the same as heavy metal. Though each genre uses similar instruments, it doesn't make them the same genres. Some genres like D&B have an awful lot of syncopation when it comes to the beat.

Fact: Actually, it's safe to say that rap, and hip hop are genres of electronic music. They use drum machines and sample, amongst other things electronic based.

This, entirely.

Also, I hate the misconception that all listeners to EDM are constantly rolling on ecstacy or some other club drug.

Most big-name EDM artist shame the use of club drugs to enjoy oneself at shows, in this day and age.

Also, the completely ignorant placement of "dubstep" to what dubstep actually sounds like.

see: skrillex (whose music is 75% electro house/complextro)

It's almost as bad as the "techno" generalization at this point.
i just mostly get bothered that ppl think DJs and producers are the same thing
ive met a number of people who insist hipsters came from us

Lonely Noob

Layra-chan

THIS
You don't know how many people told me this talk2hand
Tuonetar

Mfw:

User Image

^^^

Friend

Offizier Wolfgang

Totally, I like to be educated/open minded to genre classification, that's just the misconception though I guess: People aren't educated on the subject matter when they make up these myths.

Friend

PsyCraft
Tuonetar

Mfw:

User Image

^^^

I try and not get worked up over this, seeing as brostep has been generalized with the early forms of "true" dubstep. The damage has already been done by media outlets, so getting angry at that is kind of pointless. I understand the discontent of the shelling of a whole hardcore underground genre, but I personally find dubstep to be a vass genre now, just not particular to one style, it's almost as early dubstep deserves a new name now that it has evolved so rapidly.

EDIT: Or you just ******** hate Skrillex people, same diff
CAMSHIP
PsyCraft
Tuonetar

Mfw:

User Image

^^^

I try and not get worked up over this, seeing as brostep has been generalized with the early forms of "true" dubstep. The damage has already been done by media outlets, so getting angry at that is kind of pointless. I understand the discontent of the shelling of a whole hardcore underground genre, but I personally find dubstep to be a vass genre now, just not particular to one style, it's almost as early dubstep deserves a new name now that it has evolved so rapidly.

EDIT: Or you just ******** hate Skrillex people, same diff

yeah this is definitely an obnoxious pet peeve of mine, people who act like original dubstep didnt suck too. granted, its not as bad as the american brostep, but the brits arent really known for interesting music

Super Gekko

That it's not considered real music, by some people.
I've had so many people say that electronic music can't be real because it's just computer noises.

The Committee Staff Member

Layra-chan

A synthesizer sure looks like a real instrument to me. After all, it resembles any keyboard instrument. Even if you're not playing it, you still can't just write music without knowledge of music and expect to create a masterpiece.

Joseph Makes Music
i just mostly get bothered that ppl think DJs and producers are the same thing

Before I got started with writing EDM, I used to have that misconception. Then I learned.

eskAe

What does this even mean?

CharlieTehRubberDucky
That it's not considered real music, by some people.
I've had so many people say that electronic music can't be real because it's just computer noises.

Take a MIDI file and deconstruct it in something such as Finale NotePad. Ask them what they see. Oh, that's right. Musical notes! surprised It has to be music. After all, it's organized sound. It doesn't sound messy like noise.
Offizier Wolfgang

eskAe

What does this even mean?
whats the matter with your comprehension, are you unaware of the hipster trend?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff