Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

**Official thread**

Revised by Alec Empire.

STOP POSTING 'SCARY MONSTERS AND NICE SPRITES' IN THIS DAMN THREAD

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.The official Skrillex/Sonny Moore thread is here! User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. We also have a more dedicated thread for Brostep here.
[********]

'Wikipedia'
Dubstep is a genre of electronic dance music that has its roots in London's early 2000s UK garage scene. Musically, dubstep is distinguished by its 2-step rhythm, or use of snare sounds similar to 2-step garage and grime, and an emphasis on bass, often producing "dark" sounds. Dubstep tracks are generally produced at a tempo of around 140 beats per minute and in recent years have developed signature half time rhythms, often heavily shuffled or syncopated, and usually, though not exclusively, including only one snare drum hit per bar, often on the third beat. Such factors make dubstep rhythms markedly different from four-to-the-floor rhythms used in other styles of electronic dance music such as house music, which usually have two snare hits accompanying the second and fourth kick drum. Often, the sense of rhythm in dubstep is propelled more by the bassline than by the percussive content.

The earliest dubstep releases, which date back to 1999, were darker, more experimental, instrumental dub remixes of 2-step garage tracks attempting to incorporate the funky elements of breakbeat, or the dark elements of drum and bass into 2-step, which featured as B-sides of single releases. In 2001, this and other strains of dark garage music began to be showcased and promoted at London's club night Forward>>, which went on to be considerably influential to the development of dubstep. The term "dubstep" in reference to a genre of music began to be used by around 2002, by which time stylistic trends used in creating these remixes started to become more noticeable and distinct from 2-step and grime.

Well yeah. This is it, THE, OFFICIAL, DUBSTEP thread, Don't get it confused with all the other small "ZOMG DURPSTEP" threads currently in the electronic forum.
No, seriously. This is it. Look, it's got the generic info from wikipedia and all. Trust me.. Anyway, enough of this lame 'welcoming' paragraph. Just continue reading if you're intrigued by the sound to learn a little more about it so you don't sound like a dumb a** and call it 'techno'.

Let me summarize the top in case the wikipedia copy+paste chunk looked too intimidating to attempt to read.
__________Dubstep is a music genre that was originally devised in the very late '90's, and at that time, it mainly took a more 'dark' 2-step sound, and occasionally took from other subgenres of UK Garage(such as Bassline, UK Funky, Grime and Breakstep, specifically), and also occasionally employed elements of early Drum and Bass(Darkcore Ragge Jungle, specifically). This all eventually lead to the invention of early Drum and Bass. At this time, it was quite experimental, with no standard sound. Not only that, but the scene was considerably underground at the time(as was the rest of UK Garage, as it had just experience a humongous increase in mainstream popularity from '94 to early '97).
__________The sound is distinguished by its heavy dependence on the bassline and a 2 step rhythm using a kick and highly distorted snare drum.
__________Dubstep pieces tempo's usually play at 140 beats per minute, but can also be produced at about 130, 150, or anything in between that.
__________The bassline is sometimes controlled by an LFO that makes a 'wobble' effect, fluctuating from low to mid range sound frequencies.

[******** it. I'll post a example.

Ya understand now? Yes? OK. Move on.

In some dubstep (mostly the one with more of a 'dub roots reggae feel') the DJ or [or sometimes the producer] will 'toast' over the composition. 'Toasting' is when the DJ/Producer talks/raps/sings over the top of the piece, sometimes adding rythmn or sometimes completely ruining the song stare
This technique was mainly used prior to the mainstream popularity of Jungle, but it's been used countless times within the realm of UK Garage and Drum and Bass countless times(for better or for worse). Toasting has now evolved into MC'ing though.

Dubstep styles.

Post-Dubstep
Post-Dubstep is a moniker for Dubstep that takes from other genres. Namely Minimal Drum and Bass, Ambient, and Contemporary R&B. Most of it is usually at 130 BPM, which is slower than the normal Dubstep track. Most producers within the track are considerably underground, with the only true mainstream success within it being THE WEEKND. Not only that, but there are also many producers within the genre that also dabble in other genres that are usually associated with Post-Dubstep, such as Ambient, 2-step, and Future Garage(which are all very important to the creation of this genre, anyway). Some producers within the genre are Burial, James Blake, SBTRKT, Joy Orbison, Jamie xx, Scuba, Shackleton, Ramadanman, Pinch, Four Tet and Massive Attack.
Examples of Post-Dubstep:
Burial - U Hurt Me
Kode9 and The Spaceape - Love Is the Drug
Addison Groove - This Is It

'Brostep'_____________
Brostep. It's a genre, unfortunately.
Brostep is Basically a genre that came to be at around '07. Thanks to UK Producers like Rusko, Caspa, Emalkay, Subscape and other producer that were signed to Dub Police records, the idea of using harsh distortion upon basslines within the songs should become the standard of Dubstep. However, Rusko and Caspa have both said that they regret "experimenting" with these sounds, and are slightly bothered by the new scene, and how they have so largely impacted it.
Brostep and the production style is very popular in Canada, and the US. This is because the popularity of Rusko, Skrillex, Borgore and Funtcase has been the only Dubstep that was very mainstream in the US, so therefore, people wouldn't even have known true Dubstep unless they looked it up right before Brostep came about. Some producers within this genre include Funtcase, Borgore, Roksonix, Figure, The KIllabits, Doctor P, Flux Pavilion, xKore, Skrillex, Caspa, and Rusko.
Here are some Brostep songs.
Knife Party - Fire Hive
Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
Sigma - The Jungle(Funtcase remix)

Dubstep discussion.

This thread's purpose is for people like you to discuss and talk about dubstep. Talk about anything Dub or dubstep related. Such as dub gigs in your area, the influence in your area (popularity) etc.
Don't be an arse, share your favorite tunes and share what YOU think is good.
Oh, and follow the T.O.S/C. Yea?

THAT'S IT. LET ME REMIND YOU. THIS s**t IS NOW LEGIT. AIGHT?! Smack yourself if you make another DURPSTEP thread.

**The hangout for all regs/lurkers/and cool guys cool **
Wow. It is legit.
xd
THIS is why all the s**t threads people make are stupid. OP's are always

"YOU GUYS HEARD OF DUBSTEP?!" or "HEY YOU GUYS LIKE DUBSTEP!?!??!"

No one ever did a research paper for the op about the genre. Menyth, heart .

btw you left out gearstep cool

Interesting Regular

and doorstep
menyth
i rubbed the c**t just like wikipedia said

awesome. now we can harass everyone that ever comes here and makes their own thread ever again
savagesarge
and doorstep

And Corestep. rofl

It's about time we got a real Dubstep thread. God damn.
Bookmarked. Going to send all idiots here and report their thread. As regs we have sanctioned this as the official dubstep thread.

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
wubwubwubwubwubw

This is official, yo ninja

Tipsy Smoker

I guess I'll contribute and post a some related tracks in the ACTUAL official thread. If you don't like them, then ******** you, I don't care.

Miss Ganja
I guess I'll contribute and post a some related tracks in the ACTUAL official thread. If you don't like them, then ******** you, I don't care.

I love them all but most of all 'Ganja Dub' good too see people reppin' that tune!

Partying Prophet

menyth
Guys, this thread was created before the official one, check OP date.

s**t, so we have to bump this and *hope* no one necros something older?
fffff
Taliesiin
menyth
Guys, this thread was created before the official one, check OP date.

s**t, so we have to bump this and *hope* no one necros something older?
fffff

3nodding

EDIT:
To not make my post useless I will post up some gangsta fly dubstep.

You're all welcome.

Lop

9,550 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
That sanctuary remix goes from English to Japanese what the ********.

BEST DARKSTEP ARTIST EVER. ENDAH.

Partying Prophet

asphyxzero
That sanctuary remix goes from English to Japanese what the ********.

BEST DARKSTEP ARTIST EVER. ENDAH.

I think I liked the trance you posted better. Which is weird.
Where are you getting this stuff?
Aight guys. I got a PM from dino who thanks me for the awesome work I did. He mentions that I must keep this thread in order, by that, I have to make sure we stay on topic in this thread. Like I said on the OP, please keep this s**t dub related. I will post a link for all the regs (and lurkers) on the OP.
I reckon the "There should be a f.73 comic series" thread is a good thread for ya'll to hang out and chill and to lawl at stupid. =]

Also, more dubstep:
Dkay- Fire (Rusko remix)
Check out the drop at 0.55+ heart

Also, I will be updating the OP with more dub information. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items