5,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
pockybot
Digital Malevolence
pockybot
Digital Malevolence

the scene in this area is practically non-existant. There will be on average about 20 people there for the show, then like another 30 or 40 regulars at whatever venue/club it is, unless its a bigger name band like Combichrist or VNV nation then theres a lot of people who just seem like they've only listened to a few songs by those artists and came just for the hell of it or something. Which is cool, because I do that sometimes, but theres like not very many die hard fans or anything. Most of the people just seem like they are trying way to hard to fit in.

Yeah, Digitalism was pretty good, especially since I hadn't heard anything by them before I went. I really enjoyed their performance, especially since the people in the band switched instruments a bit instead of only playing the same thing.

I love the whole guitar driven stuff, I've found so many awesome upcoming artists these past few months, they take me back to the days where I was all about Orgy, NiN, etc.

What did you think of Front Line Assembly's Millennium? I remember a lot of people didn't like it because of the metal sound, but I loved it. I got really into Cleopatra record's goth and industrial stuff like Leatherstrip, X Marks the Pedwalk and later stuff like Wumpscut. But I was big into the guitar industrial bands as well. I remember Tim Skold before he got more well known. I used to write for zines way back in the day so I was always getting cd and cassette promos of albums. I remember I got the promo for "7" by Apoptygma and at first dismissed it since I was more into the harder stuff.

A part of me kind of misses the guitars, since most EBM since the early 2000's took guitars out. Thats why I LOVVVED the last couple Psyclon Nine albums. It was like this mix of slight black metal elements with harsh aggro meets like, Silent Hill or something.

That sucks your scene is so small. Yeah sadly that happened to my town as well. We used to have a number of EBM and goth clubs that would get 100-150 people a week. Now maybe 20-30 come out. Though I guess a live production of Repo! with Ogre Nivek was going on at the same time last saturday with some ebm bands playing(I shoulda gone to that)
The San Francisco scene as well used to be bigger, but not as many people come out for shows either. Same with Seattle from what Ive heard. Los Angeles tho has always had a huge EBM scene. Seriously, like VNV and Skinny Puppy played the same night in 2007 in LA...both sold out.

Id love to check out fests outside of America, as they always seem huge(love seeing the Wave Gottek Treffen footage)
I actually have barely looked into FLA, I keep meaning to check out more of their stuff but never get around to it.

Yeah, times are changing. I've always wanted to vist WGT, as well as Kinetik, and some other fest that goes on in the Netherlands that I forget the name of.

I hope they have the Triton Festival in New York next year. I wasn't able to make it to last years, but I was planning on going this year, until I found out its not happening this year. I have yet to go to a big EBM/Post-Industrial festivals. I've been to Metal, Rock, Punk, Reggae, and Folk festivals, but never an EBM/Post-Industrial one.

Oh dude...

And yeah, sadly I too have never been to a goth/ebm/industrial type fest. Been to a few big outdoor "indie" fests tho, and totally felt out of place

This is where I'd like to jump in I suppose...
I think it is the fact that I do miss the guitar driven, goth-rock-esque sounds when I hear the more mainstream stuff that is out these days, I think I stopped getting excited about the scene after I discovered the Aggrotech movement about 4 or 5 years ago. I feel out of place just listening to it. I may be a decade behind but I had enough time to catch up when I was getting into my teens, while everyone was into the Nu-metal phase of things, I was still grasping the sounds of FLA, Puppy,Grendel NIN all the sweet 90's goodness... I followed it all and I have to say, I really wish I could relate to the mainstreame stuff now, but I really can't.
It sucks for me, because there really isn't a huge following in Las Vegas for anything Industrial-related, most bands pass us by unless they are very mainstream and even then, you see a lot more of the older crowd than kids my age, and if so, they don't ever seem into the music the way i would hope anyway, so the crowds are pretty small here too. I just try to keep an open mind in regards to what's emerging instead of complaining with all the others about how screwed some people are making things, because I don't want to sound like a bitter fan.
There really isn't much of a great scene here so I guess my battle is actually trying to be a part of one.

Greedy Bloodsucker

Also if you want to know what the scene is like in my area, watch this:

Sparkly Prophet

as much as the dying of a scene you love sucks, it is better than a complete lack of any scene. grew up and currently live, for the time being, in a caribbean island. this means anything related to industrial/ebm/gothrock/deathrock and pretty much anything even close to those genres has never been heard here. hell i can count on my fingers the amount of ppl that listen to actual metal.
long story short i am actually jealous of the small scene you guys have

Devout Sex Symbol

11,300 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
yup its been dead pirate
rufilin_sik1

I think it is the fact that I do miss the guitar driven, goth-rock-esque sounds when I hear the more mainstream stuff that is out these days, I think I stopped getting excited about the scene after I discovered the Aggrotech movement about 4 or 5 years ago. I feel out of place just listening to it. I may be a decade behind but I had enough time to catch up when I was getting into my teens, while everyone was into the Nu-metal phase of things, I was still grasping the sounds of FLA, Puppy,Grendel NIN all the sweet 90's goodness... I followed it all and I have to say, I really wish I could relate to the mainstreame stuff now, but I really can't.
It sucks for me, because there really isn't a huge following in Las Vegas for anything Industrial-related, most bands pass us by unless they are very mainstream and even then, you see a lot more of the older crowd than kids my age, and if so, they don't ever seem into the music the way i would hope anyway, so the crowds are pretty small here too. I just try to keep an open mind in regards to what's emerging instead of complaining with all the others about how screwed some people are making things, because I don't want to sound like a bitter fan.
There really isn't much of a great scene here so I guess my battle is actually trying to be a part of one.

It's actually the same for me in my town too now. Combichrist played here in may, maybe 30-35 people showed up. Whereas they sold out a couple years ago. We usually have to drive far to go to bigger shows, but even then attendance is way down. We then sometimes have to drive really epic far to Los Angeles, where there's still somewhat of a thriving scene.

I actually don't feel at all apart of the indie crowd, even though I go to some of those shows in San Francisco. I don't have any hipster friends, and there isnt' a sense of inclusive belonging like there is in the EBM scene. I can talk to pretty much anyone at those sort of clubs, not so much at the indie shows or clubs.

5,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
pockybot
rufilin_sik1

It's actually the same for me in my town too now. Combichrist played here in may, maybe 30-35 people showed up. Whereas they sold out a couple years ago. We usually have to drive far to go to bigger shows, but even then attendance is way down. We then sometimes have to drive really epic far to Los Angeles, where there's still somewhat of a thriving scene.

I actually don't feel at all apart of the indie crowd, even though I go to some of those shows in San Francisco. I don't have any hipster friends, and there isnt' a sense of inclusive belonging like there is in the EBM scene. I can talk to pretty much anyone at those sort of clubs, not so much at the indie shows or clubs.

That is true for e as well, the times i have ever went to any other show, I felt like it was just me there. Here in Las Vegas, the kids are still into the whole "[insert subgenre here] Core" which i have no interest in only because of how crude these people can be if you come out dressed unlike them, they are the ones that are quick to call one a poser just because they may be wearing a Slayer shirt instead of a Pierce the Veil tee... the attitude towards that scene infuriates me because I feel like, hell, if there isn't much going on with the EBM/Darkwave scene, I may as well explore what's available and even then I have experienced people criticising the those who don't look like a cookie-cutter replica of what they assume is a real fan. You may as well avoid most shows here on account of they will shun you based on appearance alone. I never got that when I went to EBM/Darwave shows because it was about the music.. and recently I have realized that the Vegas scene is more a fashion show than about how much you like the band that is playing. I haven't lost hope though, because there is bound to be a place where people like me can congregate and just enjoy music without these no-it-all people.
So I mean, I guess it is the people's attitudes that are making it hard on any LV artist in any scene to emerge. There isn't much heart here so a lot of people who want to make a name for themselves move away, draining this place of movement.
That is what i think is wrong with our music scene in LV. It has got to change!
rufilin_sik1
pockybot
rufilin_sik1

That is true for e as well, the times i have ever went to any other show, I felt like it was just me there. Here in Las Vegas, the kids are still into the whole "[insert subgenre here] Core" which i have no interest in only because of how crude these people can be if you come out dressed unlike them, they are the ones that are quick to call one a poser just because they may be wearing a Slayer shirt instead of a Pierce the Veil tee... the attitude towards that scene infuriates me because I feel like, hell, if there isn't much going on with the EBM/Darkwave scene, I may as well explore what's available and even then I have experienced people criticising the those who don't look like a cookie-cutter replica of what they assume is a real fan. You may as well avoid most shows here on account of they will shun you based on appearance alone. I never got that when I went to EBM/Darwave shows because it was about the music.. and recently I have realized that the Vegas scene is more a fashion show than about how much you like the band that is playing. I haven't lost hope though, because there is bound to be a place where people like me can congregate and just enjoy music without these no-it-all people.
So I mean, I guess it is the people's attitudes that are making it hard on any LV artist in any scene to emerge. There isn't much heart here so a lot of people who want to make a name for themselves move away, draining this place of movement.

I'm not sure I got what you were saying about other subcultures. Are you referring to the hot topic emo screamo kid scene? Like the Black Veil Bride type stuff? Never understood why people liked that stuff...I almost think they like it for the band's hair more than the music

Well Im sure LV has a much livelier scene than Reno on the other end of Nevada. Im going to Reno for the first time in ages to see Crystal Castles and go to a goth industrial after party, but its not a very big scene at all. Most the Reno people come down where I am for stuff.
Im guessing the Vegas goth industrial scene is bigger than in 2004. When I had my first girlfriend, I flew out in 2004 to spend some time with her and we went out looking for goth clubs...had no such luck

5,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
pockybot
rufilin_sik1
pockybot
rufilin_sik1

I'm not sure I got what you were saying about other subcultures. Are you referring to the hot topic emo screamo kid scene? Like the Black Veil Bride type stuff? Never understood why people liked that stuff...I almost think they like it for the band's hair more than the music

Well Im sure LV has a much livelier scene than Reno on the other end of Nevada. Im going to Reno for the first time in ages to see Crystal Castles and go to a goth industrial after party, but its not a very big scene at all. Most the Reno people come down where I am for stuff.
Im guessing the Vegas goth industrial scene is bigger than in 2004. When I had my first girlfriend, I flew out in 2004 to spend some time with her and we went out looking for goth clubs...had no such luck

Yeah, haha That is what I mean. I think it is funny how you brough up the hair, I am kind of thinking that as true for that scene.. I never understiid it myself even though all my friends in high school went through that phase pretty deeply.

Oh, for sure, there aren't any clubs out here that I ever really knew of either.... there was talk of one around 3 years ago or so that someone kept telling me about but no one could ever give out a location, so I assume the place in question never existed or could have just been a gathering of sorts, which is what one has to settle for out here if one ever finds out about it or parties at friends' houses, it is pretty tough to find any type of Goth-ish scene out in the open so it's a task if one is serious about trying to get out to someplace cool.

5,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
Well, I know I'm coming into the conversation a little late, but, I think it's just that the old bats are well, old, tired, and working. The only concert I've been out to in a while was Voltaire, it was nice to see all the old crowd and to remember when dance floors were a swirl in black gowns and fishnet. Not fuzzy boots.

I'm hoping to get out to VNV Nation this weekend, but when it comes down to it. The old scene is just that. We have gotten older and life just has its ways of consuming the elders and leaving all the free time to the young.
cyberbat
Well, I know I'm coming into the conversation a little late, but, I think it's just that the old bats are well, old, tired, and working. The only concert I've been out to in a while was Voltaire, it was nice to see all the old crowd and to remember when dance floors were a swirl in black gowns and fishnet. Not fuzzy boots.

I'm hoping to get out to VNV Nation this weekend, but when it comes down to it. The old scene is just that. We have gotten older and life just has its ways of consuming the elders and leaving all the free time to the young.

I couldnt justify the 2 hour travel and the 30 to see VNV. Nothing could top his shows from 1999-2002. Seen em too many times, and I kind of stopped liking their newer sounds by 2005.
Same with Combichrist and so many of those bands...it feels like a lifetime Ive been into that music and I just feel done. I miss the people tho, they were always warm and friendly even tho its probably good I never dated anyone from that scene.

I seen voltaire! Twice actually. the crowd was 100% nerd/anime kids. Tho that coulda had something to do with it being an anime con. Im sure he and Jhonen get a lot of goth fantard girls bugging them smile

Man I remember the swirly dancing and ornate outfits. Thats why in San Francisco I like to sometimes go to death rock/old school goth/old school industrial nights. Takes me back to the 90's when the scene was more mysterious and uh, filled with awesomeness.

That said, for the last 12 years I had been obsessed with the "00ntz" type EBM stuff, Im just kind of done with it. Sold or gave away most my extensive cd collection, a lot of my outfits/accessories, merchandise, etc. It sucks as the audience for most the music Im into now SUCKS(the hipsters, who I HATE)

I miss the old school goths and rivet nerd chicks smile
Yeah, just wanted to confirm it...given the EBM scene now chooses to be stuck in this 2006 combichrist/aggrotech clone mode, the "Scene" as far as Im concerned is dead.

I checked out a couple "goth" clubs recently, this is the s**t they were playing.

I hate to use this cliche expression, but "really?"

Greedy Bloodsucker

pockybot
Yeah, just wanted to confirm it...given the EBM scene now chooses to be stuck in this 2006 combichrist/aggrotech clone mode, the "Scene" as far as Im concerned is dead.

I checked out a couple "goth" clubs recently, this is the s**t they were playing.

I think I may start agreeing with you soon.

I've found some of the best stuff coming out recently has been the Post-Industrial Rock stuff. The pure EBM electronic stuff is kind of lacking recently.
I've lost faith in EBM.
Digital Malevolence
pockybot

I think I may start agreeing with you soon.

I've found some of the best stuff coming out recently has been the Post-Industrial Rock stuff. The pure EBM electronic stuff is kind of lacking recently.

I remember when THIS was the cutting edge of industrial

Now pretty much the rivethead/industrial/goth scene is just clownish cybergoths dancing flailing in unisom to the same s**t Reaper/Modulate/Suicide Commando was doing 7 years ago.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff