Welcome to Gaia! ::

***EDIT****
Perhaps I spoke to soon...while I do feel EBM in America has died, and the overall scene seems to have slowed down/hit a wall...Ive been rediscovering all the amazing 1998-2003 releases and hope something news comes along

----------------------------------

original post:

I have a lot of good memories of dancing to "00ntzy EBM" and death rock/goth/old school industrial dance before that...going to see Skinny Puppy, Front Line, VNV Nation, Funker Vogt, Hocico, Covenant, Grendel, and virtually every other band in concert. I had fun getting dressed up, drinking in the car and dancing at clubs.

But pretty much as of 2011, the scene is dead. To the point where even many people I know that used to be hardcore into it for years are now embarrassed to even be associated with it or the fashion. I knew the handwriting was on the wall when hardly anyone showed up to see Combichrist in San Francisco, when before they would sell out a larger venue. Same with VNV Nation. Hardly anyone goes to the clubs. Not too many bands are even releasing quality stuff, or even making that many new releases.

So yeah, you still have the fresh out of high school kids now with the "cyber goth raver" goofy look, goggles/half gas mask dancing to the 00ntz...but all of the fun and magic associated with that music/scene/etc has long left the building. In Europe I guess there's still a pretty good following for it, but I think a lot of people moved on.

The girls were usually attractive, the music was fun to dance too and it was fun dressing up in new rocks and custom made outfits from the UK and canada. Im just soooo glad after many years I never got involved in people's drama, cliques, dating or any of that in the scene.
is this a bad thing?

Greedy Bloodsucker

What the hell you talking about?

Theres been plenty of great releases this year, and using Eisenfunks shitty album/video for proof does nothing.

Yeah, it seems the following has died down a bit, and theres been quite a few annoying people entering into the scene but that really doesn't mean anything. That stuff happens all the time, if anything I think the whole genre has taken a big leap forward. For a while (from around 2007 to 2009) it seemed like everything was just standing still in the Post-Industrial genre. Now theres been some great releases with a new sound as opposed to the heavily distorted factory aggrotech that came out by the hundreds, and the hundreds of combichrist clones. With bands like Terrolokaust, Die Sektor, Freakangel, The Ludovico Technique, etc coming out with music with a different style.
Well out here in LA it's still thriving, so maybe that could be based on your location.

Though I have to agree, during a good portion of this year there were no decent bands touring and I also felt like it was "dead". But it seems to be starting to pick up in the fall. I know Imperative Reaction and God Module are going to be playing a show out in LA at the end of October, and VNV are going to be playing in November.

And I have to agree with Digital Malevolence. There was definitely a time of harshEBM/aggrotech clones, but there are artists that are trying to escape that and do something a bit more daring this year (thank God, I was never the biggest fan of that particular industrial sub-genre anyway).

Like rhythmic/power noise artists Modulate and Alter Der Ruine for example. If you listened to the previews of their upcoming albums you would see that they at least are trying to incorporate other elements of electronic music into their style. Which I respect.

It's the elitist clones that are afraid of making their music too accessible, that will be the death of the scene if it continues to get out of hand. The scene isn't dead....yet. But it could very well be on it's way there if something doesn't change.
When I saw the people in that music video, I was reminded of how much of a joke EBM is.
A B Up Start
is this a bad thing?

It's a good thing.
Quote:

But pretty much as of 2011, the scene is dead. To the point where even many people I know that used to be hardcore into it for years are now embarrassed to even be associated with it or the fashion. I knew the handwriting was on the wall when hardly anyone showed up to see Combichrist in San Francisco, when before they would sell out a larger venue. Same with VNV Nation. Hardly anyone goes to the clubs. Not too many bands are even releasing quality stuff, or even making that many new releases.

Crusty old rivet heads were saying this five years ago. And then five years before that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZdu3IHhp54

Nontheless, nothing has actually changed.
Hollywood Euphoria
Well out here in LA it's still thriving, so maybe that could be based on your location.

Though I have to agree, during a good portion of this year there were no decent bands touring and I also felt like it was "dead". But it seems to be starting to pick up in the fall. I know Imperative Reaction and God Module are going to be playing a show out in LA at the end of October, and VNV are going to be playing in November.

And I have to agree with Digital Malevolence. There was definitely a time of harshEBM/aggrotech clones, but there are artists that are trying to escape that and do something a bit more daring this year (thank God, I was never the biggest fan of that particular industrial sub-genre anyway).

Like rhythmic/power noise artists Modulate and Alter Der Ruine for example. If you listened to the previews of their upcoming albums you would see that they at least are trying to incorporate other elements of electronic music into their style. Which I respect.

It's the elitist clones that are afraid of making their music too accessible, that will be the death of the scene if it continues to get out of hand. The scene isn't dead....yet. But it could very well be on it's way there if something doesn't change.

I was in the LA and so cal EBM/rivet scene from 2004-2009. Used to go all the time to Das Bunker, Perversion, Bar Sinister, Xile, Malediction, etc. Some very good memories, though never got involved with any cliques or people in the scene. Would just go all the time with friends to clubs or shows. I think one of the best shows I saw in recent memory was Combichrist with Psyclone Nine and Modulate at the Avalon Ballroom.

Now the LA scene is interesting...in 2007 both VNV Nation and Skinny Puppy played the same night on opposite ends of the city. Both shows pretty much almost sold out. You also have a pretty sizeable Hispanic rivethead contingent which is pretty cool. So I think that the health of the LA/so cal scene will be going for awhile. My friend goes to WGT fest in East Germany every year and says its always massive(tho half the fest is strictly goth/neo folk/medieval stuff)
My friend is paying my way to Kinetik festival in Montreal next May.

I guess my point is I noticed I'm not the only one who has felt "meh" on the overall music/scene/fashion as of late. I used to spend a lot on custom outfits and making outfits which was fun.
I'm just glad I never got into any of the drama. I still may see VNV Nation for nostalgic sake, it'll be about 11 years since I first saw them which was an amazing time.
Dread and Freedom
Quote:

Crusty old rivet heads were saying this five years ago. And then five years before that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZdu3IHhp54

Nontheless, nothing has actually changed.

That's so true! I remember in 1998 EVERYONE was saying the goth/industrial scene was dead. And yes, the "goth" part definitely died(tho now I do see a resurgence of old school death rock/goth rock/darkwave which is awesome) By late 1998 and into 1999/2000 "industrial dance" got replaced by trancey stuff or modern "EBM".

So from 1998 and on you had people moving from Puppy/FLA/Leatherstrip/etc to VNV Nation, Apop, Icon of Coil, etc. Then by 2003 you had the era of "aggrotech/terror electro" with Suicide Commando adding rave elements, Tactical Sekt, Hocico, Agonoize, Grendel, etc.
By 2006 you had the Noisuf-X type sound getting bigger.

Now, I don't even know what's going on

My friend claims this is the "future" of EBM, lol

Ace the Masturbator
When I saw the people in that music video, I was reminded of how much of a joke EBM is.

Heh...well sometimes when you're in the thick of something it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

Or in this case the gas masks from the virus synthesizer.
Digital Malevolence

Theres been plenty of great releases this year, and using Eisenfunks shitty album/video for proof does nothing.

Yeah, it seems the following has died down a bit, and theres been quite a few annoying people entering into the scene but that really doesn't mean anything. That stuff happens all the time, if anything I think the whole genre has taken a big leap forward. For a while (from around 2007 to 2009) it seemed like everything was just standing still in the Post-Industrial genre. Now theres been some great releases with a new sound as opposed to the heavily distorted factory aggrotech that came out by the hundreds, and the hundreds of combichrist clones. With bands like Terrolokaust, Die Sektor, Freakangel, The Ludovico Technique, etc coming out with music with a different style.

Well that's good then! I was big into the Suicide Commando/Noitek label clones for awhile, but just got so sick of it. I think the last album I enjoyed was "Rot" by SITD.

I kind of miss stuff like Last Rites by Skinny Puppy or Hard Wired by Front Line Assembly. That sort of cinematic/soundscape elements fused with interesting beats and themes that wasn't all combat disco.

Hot Cat

That was complete and total misuse of a drum kit.

Greedy Bloodsucker

pockybot
Digital Malevolence

Well that's good then! I was big into the Suicide Commando/Noitek label clones for awhile, but just got so sick of it. I think the last album I enjoyed was "Rot" by SITD.

I kind of miss stuff like Last Rites by Skinny Puppy or Hard Wired by Front Line Assembly. That sort of cinematic/soundscape elements fused with interesting beats and themes that wasn't all combat disco.
Have you ever listened to either of these artists?

pockybot

My friend claims this is the "future" of EBM, lol

How? Noisia is a Darkstep and Techstep Drum and Bass group. How the hell would that be the future of Industrial. It sounds dark, but It's not dark enough to be passed for that.
The best industrial show I went to was Dj? Acucrack when they came almost unannounced on a Sunday night in late 07 I think.

They're drum and bass/industrial whatever. Same label as Acumen Nation <3

Versatile Explorer

Digital Malevolence

I want some stuff/albums from this scene of music. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces