Welcome to Gaia! ::

If I was an alien from another planet with NO knowledge of human culture, or like, say I was a 5-year-old--Whichever you prefer--how would you explain different genres of electronica (Is that an umbrella-term? I dont even know, lol.) I mean like Trance, Dubstep, Techno, etc. I've seen the letters "EDM" associated with it, but I don't even know fore SURE-sure what that means. (I'm assuming Electronic Dance Music...?) Oh God, I hope it's not an artist. sad
They're are no genres, and no music.
Music is none existent.
I love this rant. I'm going to do it again.

Terms like EDM and Electronica and 'Techno' are born out of music retailers trying to broadly classify "electronic" music. Which is sort of dumb, but it makes it easier for them to sort things if they can just lump Ambient in with top 40 Euro hits. Unfortunately it spills over into mainstream language.

So, if you ignore EDM and Electronica, genre's like Trance, and Dubstep become their own thing and cease to be sub-genres of this fictional, lazy umbrella genre.

Just like Country is not Rock because they use similar instruments.

BUT, all that said... who really gives a s**t? It's all nonsense, just listen.
electronica doesnt really apply to anything. EDM refers to the dance music side of electronic music, so using it for all electronic music is wrong. neither of those phrases refer to an actual genre.

THIS is a good place to start, but the guy who made it didn't really know an awful lot so he just went by what other people told him in some spots, and in other spots he shows obvious bias, and it's also outdated and missing all the hip new garbage that all these twinkletoe faggots love, like dubstep.

GlassBox
I love this rant. I'm going to do it again.

Terms like EDM and Electronica and 'Techno' are born out of music retailers trying to broadly classify "electronic" music. Which is sort of dumb, but it makes it easier for them to sort things if they can just lump Ambient in with top 40 Euro hits. Unfortunately it spills over into mainstream language.

So, if you ignore EDM and Electronica, genre's like Trance, and Dubstep become their own thing and cease to be sub-genres of this fictional, lazy umbrella genre.

Just like Country is not Rock because they use similar instruments.

BUT, all that said... who really gives a s**t? It's all nonsense, just listen.

you're so wrong that it's funny
Maybe you want to try backing that up, bigot.
GlassBox

1) the term techno was coined by the creators of the music, not retailers
2) EDM does not apply to ambient, since its not dance music
3) umbrella terms such as EDM are not genres, so genres like trance or whatever are not subgenres of anything, they are the root genres, under the blanket term of EDM
4) there are reasons for all of this organization, it's not all nonsense
eskAe
GlassBox

3) umbrella terms such as EDM are not genres, so genres like trance or whatever are not subgenres of anything, they are the root genres, under the blanket term of EDM

Indeed it is, however, retailers appropriated it to describe electronic music as a whole.

That's a matter of opinion really, I dance to ambient on occasion. Its wavvvvy, but then... what's Ambient really, how do you classify that? does it have a beat, does it not? If it doesnt, I can't dance to it? I dance to Flock of Seagulls, they have synths, does that mean its edm? Why are you defending this nonsense?

3) umbrella terms such as EDM are not genres, so genres like trance or whatever are not subgenres
That was my point. Good job reading comprehension. And this statement contradicts your previous statement claiming that EDM is a valid way to classify music.

"...retailers trying to broadly classify "electronic" music." That's the reason these terms exist.
GlassBox
eskAe
GlassBox

Indeed it is, however, retailers appropriated it to describe electronic music as a whole.

That's a matter of opinion really, I dance to ambient on occasion. Its wavvvvy, but then... what's Ambient really, how do you classify that? does it have a beat, does it not? If it doesnt, I can't dance to it? I dance to Flock of Seagulls, they have synths, does that mean its edm? Why are you defending this nonsense?

3) umbrella terms such as EDM are not genres, so genres like trance or whatever are not subgenres
That was my point. Good job reading comprehension. And this statement contradicts your previous statement claiming that EDM is a valid way to classify music.

"...retailers trying to broadly classify "electronic" music." That's the reason these terms exist.

1) any retailer that uses techno as a blanket term is hardly relevant, so i'm not quite sure why you're clinging on to this.

2) that's great that you possess the unheard of ability of dancing to ambient, but that doesnt mean its dance music, theres a certain way things work in the music scene and that aint it. ambient music is beatless, and was not produced with the intent of dancing. and as much as you'd love to think it were true, music classification isnt based on whether or not YOU can dance to it.

3) classification doesnt necessarily mean genre. EDM certainly has a proper role in all of this. also you had said that trance etc were subgenres of a blanket/umbrella term, so you can giggle to yourself about reading comprehension but it would help if you didnt communicate like a pleb.

4) looks like youve done a complete 180, at first you were knocking any sort of organization, since OP was asking for an explanation of the differences between genres and you said it was all pointless?
eskAe
GlassBox
eskAe
GlassBox

1) any retailer that uses techno as a blanket term is hardly relevant, so i'm not quite sure why you're clinging on to this.

2) that's great that you possess the unheard of ability of dancing to ambient, but that doesnt mean its dance music, theres a certain way things work in the music scene and that aint it. ambient music is beatless, and was not produced with the intent of dancing. and as much as you'd love to think it were true, music classification isnt based on whether or not YOU can dance to it.

3) classification doesnt necessarily mean genre. EDM certainly has a proper role in all of this. also you had said that trance etc were subgenres of a blanket/umbrella term, so you can giggle to yourself about reading comprehension but it would help if you didnt communicate like a pleb.

4) looks like youve done a complete 180, at first you were knocking any sort of organization, since OP was asking for an explanation of the differences between genres and you said it was all pointless?

1) You're a dense creature.

2) You must be to young to remember chill out rooms. Look up Spacetime Continuum and get back to me when you know what your talking about.

3) lol.

"classification doesnt necessarily mean genre."
okaayy... explain yourself?

"EDM certainly has a proper role in all of this."
ok... go on?

"also you had said that trance etc were subgenres of a blanket/umbrella term,"
Yes, I did... I also said that was wrong, your point?

"so you can giggle to yourself about reading comprehension but it would help if you didnt communicate like a pleb."
I'm communicating like a pleb? rofl

4) I was just clarifying where these blanket terms/genres/nonsense came from. Your butt hurt about your favourite acronym being a bunch of rubbish.

Dangerous Conversationalist

******** Glassbox and Eskae arguing.
*grabs lawnchair and strong beer*
Oh this is gonna be fun.
Crazy french Tom fun on the horizon.
Well since everyone wants to be dumb and just argue, I suggest you Google Ishkur's guide to electronic music. It should give you a basic idea of the electronic genres.
White ******** Glassbox and Eskae arguing.
Oh this is gonna be fun.
Crazy french Tom fun on the horizon.[/quote]

I hate sometimes enjoy it when older regs fight with newer
j4f21dv6:0="White ******** Glassbox and Eskae arguing.
Oh this is gonna be fun.
Crazy french Tom fun on the horizon.[/quote]

I [strike]hate[/strike] [color=red]sometimes enjoy[/color] it when older regs fight with newer regs.

Greedy Bloodsucker

1. its never to early for waffles

Electronic genres I listen to:
    ► Chiptune
    ► Seapunk
    ► Electropical
    ► Breakcore
    ► Chipbreak
    ► Lolicore
    ► Witch House
Idk this genre but here is an example of this guys music:

Quick Reply