Welcome to Gaia! ::

n-n-Dimethyltryptamine
Evolsine

Kick drums is too saturated in the mix imho.

anything else? i'm on vacation right now away from my studio but i might tweak that up a bit when I get back. What are you listening on?

@layra, any feedback? I've always valued your judgement.

The kick is definitely a bit too saturated; it sounds like there's a bit of noise whenever the kick goes, almost snare-like.

You might also try low passing the very, very high bits a bit; some of the high-pitched notes are a bit piercing.

Hi-hats. The only percussion I can really hear at all is the kick; there's some other stuff but it gets lost under the synths and it's not very crisp; mostly noise. You might want some crisper hats.
Otherwise I think it's pretty good. I'm not a fan of psy so I can't really give you more detailed analysis.
Layra-chan
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine
Evolsine

anything else? i'm on vacation right now away from my studio but i might tweak that up a bit when I get back. What are you listening on?

The kick is definitely a bit too saturated; it sounds like there's a bit of noise whenever the kick goes, almost snare-like.

You might also try low passing the very, very high bits a bit; some of the high-pitched notes are a bit piercing.

Hi-hats. The only percussion I can really hear at all is the kick; there's some other stuff but it gets lost under the synths and it's not very crisp; mostly noise. You might want some crisper hats.
Otherwise I think it's pretty good. I'm not a fan of psy so I can't really give you more detailed analysis.

Cool, thanks. I'll make sure to drop a link to the updated version once I get home for a few days.
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine
Layra-chan
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine
Evolsine

Cool, thanks. I'll make sure to drop a link to the updated version once I get home for a few days.

Decent sound card outputing through RCA to a Behringer Mixer and then out to a pair of ATH M30's.
I'm listening to it now on my speakers (decent soundcard to Logitech 5500s). It sounds like the percussion channels are clipped, so that the kick sounds flattened and the hats are getting crushed into noisy squelch.
Koumaru
http://soundcloud.com/somasol/area-grey-freestyle-mix

what happens when I try to put dubstep and tech trance together.

Updated, played with the bass some more for Ilya's sake.
Layra-chan
E-Z Widas
The Finer Things In Life

Can I get some suggestions/critique on this song? It's my first IDM/Ambient song and I'd be interested in making more but I need to know what I need to work on.

The hard panning on some of the things is a bit strange on headphones. It kind of feels like the bass is a bit too full, but that might just be my headphones. I'll see how it sounds on my speakers at home.

Yeah the bass sounds too in-your-face and distracting. Other than that everything else sound beautiful.

If you want some inspiration.

PS I just got some Yamaha RH-5Ma Flat response headphones few days ago. 3nodding
Layra-chan
E-Z Widas
The Finer Things In Life

Can I get some suggestions/critique on this song? It's my first IDM/Ambient song and I'd be interested in making more but I need to know what I need to work on.

The hard panning on some of the things is a bit strange on headphones. It kind of feels like the bass is a bit too full, but that might just be my headphones. I'll see how it sounds on my speakers at home.
Does the percussion come back in a bar early at 2:37? It sounds like it comes in a bar before the melodic phrase begins.

It comes in a bar before the melody repeats but I meant to do that. It works, or does it not? haha
Layra-chan
I'm listening to it now on my speakers (decent soundcard to Logitech 5500s). It sounds like the percussion channels are clipped, so that the kick sounds flattened and the hats are getting crushed into noisy squelch.

I kind of wanted the hats to sound crunchy, and I actually wanted the kick to be more in the background. I wanted the main focus to be on the melody and the 808 hits. Should I beef up that kick with a compressor though and lower the volume then?
E-Z Widas
Layra-chan

I kind of wanted the hats to sound crunchy, and I actually wanted the kick to be more in the background. I wanted the main focus to be on the melody and the 808 hits. Should I beef up that kick with a compressor though and lower the volume then?

Compression might be a good idea. I still think that you overdid the distortion on the hats; maybe a little filtering would be better.
I updated Amlia. By the way, are we still doing the Catharsis release ever? I'm willing to dump this in the pot.
Layra-chan
I updated Amlia. By the way, are we still doing the Catharsis release ever? I'm willing to dump this in the pot.

We are. I just need a track from everyone participating. As soon as we have that, I will either have one of the DJ's mix it, or I will compile it like that 2008 F.73 comp and release it over various channels.

I'm not sure that the piano and the percussion are synced correctly. The downbeats in the piano part and the drum part don't seem to coincide.
Layra-chan

I'm not sure that the piano and the percussion are synced correctly. The downbeats in the piano part and the drum part don't seem to coincide.

I'll look into it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces