Welcome to Gaia! ::

materva
Upped the vocals. Better?

new

Think I am going to re-record the vocals. I can hear pitch imperfections now.

Much better. Really it's the fact that you're basically whispering that makes the vocals hard to hear; whispers have a lot of noise and not so much tone, and the noise often gets diminished when you record.

Dangerous Rogue

7,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Hello, I see I have finally stumbled upon the music producers of Gaia at last. I would love some criticism, I've been taking a great interest in producing Progressive House and I've kind of developped my own sound. What do you guys think? Soundcloud

Rosiels

ModPlug Tracker

I thought was the only around here who used Music Trackers still.

Greedy Bloodsucker

I've been working really hard on all my tracks, I just finished recording the vocals on this one about a week or two ago and I've been editing it a whole bunch since then.

I wouldn't mind some constructive criticism on it, or any sort of comment.

http://soundcloud.com/neoteric-empire/virus-core-rruption
Digital Malevolence
I've been working really hard on all my tracks, I just finished recording the vocals on this one about a week or two ago and I've been editing it a whole bunch since then.

Your vocals aren't synced with the instrumental. There are a lot of places where it comes in a noticeable bit behind the beat, especially on phrases that begin with S.
Also the vocal doesn't really seem to attach to the music much. It sounds like it was put in on top of the song, which it was, but it sounds overdubbed in a way that is very different from what it would sound like if this were performed live by a band. I'm thinking maybe compressing the vocals together onto maybe the drum track or the main melodic synths might help.
Xeethe Ingram

Hello, I see I have finally stumbled upon the music producers of Gaia at last. I would love some criticism, I've been taking a great interest in producing Progressive House and I've kind of developped my own sound. What do you guys think? Soundcloud

Fly: The two sections between 0:30 and 2;27 are fairly flat and repetitive. I'd suggest cutting them each in half.

Emerald: Watch the volume on that transition at 3:37; it's ridiculously loud and it's forcing the rest of the track to be relatively quiet. Also the sharp drop in volume after it makes the section after the transition seem really weak in comparison, which is probably not what you were looking for.

Sapphire: The beginning of the track seems a bit muffled or compressed. Which is odd, because the second half of the track is fine in that regard, at least until you start glitching things. Maybe the melodic instruments in the first half are just too quiet? Or it's too mono?
No, the problem comes back when you introduce the bassline.

Greedy Bloodsucker

Layra-chan
Digital Malevolence

Your vocals aren't synced with the instrumental. There are a lot of places where it comes in a noticeable bit behind the beat, especially on phrases that begin with S.
Also the vocal doesn't really seem to attach to the music much. It sounds like it was put in on top of the song, which it was, but it sounds overdubbed in a way that is very different from what it would sound like if this were performed live by a band. I'm thinking maybe compressing the vocals together onto maybe the drum track or the main melodic synths might help.
Really? I'm quite surprised by this, I thought it was right on target both sound and timing(well, theres a few parts I thought I could fix a bit). But thats why I wanted others to listen.

looks like its back to editing then, any specific parts that stand out the most that need fixing?
Digital Malevolence
Layra-chan
Digital Malevolence

Really? I'm quite surprised by this, I thought it was right on target both sound and timing(well, theres a few parts I thought I could fix a bit). But thats why I wanted others to listen.

looks like its back to editing then, any specific parts that stand out the most that need fixing?

1:10 is just the tiniest bit late.
1:46 through 1:50 sounds off.
2:11?
2:40
2:51
3:02
3:39
3:50
I think a bunch of these might actually be a little awkwardness in your phrasing of "control", but I'm not actually sure. Anyway, I don't think any of these are more than like 1/32 or 1/64 of a beat off, but it sounds like you're aligning by the beginning of the letter, rather than by onset of the sound.

Greedy Bloodsucker

Layra-chan
Digital Malevolence
Layra-chan
Digital Malevolence

1:10 is just the tiniest bit late.
1:46 through 1:50 sounds off.
2:11?
2:40
2:51
3:02
3:39
3:50
I think a bunch of these might actually be a little awkwardness in your phrasing of "control", but I'm not actually sure. Anyway, I don't think any of these are more than like 1/32 or 1/64 of a beat off, but it sounds like you're aligning by the beginning of the letter, rather than by onset of the sound.
Thanks. I think your right, I'll have to have my friend help me out, timing is always one of the things I've had the hardest time with. My friend is really good on the other hand, so perhaps he can help me fix these things.

Dangerous Rogue

7,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Layra-chan

Fly: The two sections between 0:30 and 2;27 are fairly flat and repetitive. I'd suggest cutting them each in half.

Emerald: Watch the volume on that transition at 3:37; it's ridiculously loud and it's forcing the rest of the track to be relatively quiet. Also the sharp drop in volume after it makes the section after the transition seem really weak in comparison, which is probably not what you were looking for.

Sapphire: The beginning of the track seems a bit muffled or compressed. Which is odd, because the second half of the track is fine in that regard, at least until you start glitching things. Maybe the melodic instruments in the first half are just too quiet? Or it's too mono?

The fly track is well... Sadly that's all it is, a simple 16 step pattern so I'm doing what I can to work on the progression. I'm actually making a different remix but I am also fixing this one as well, there was a contest and I didn't know about it. So I gotta pull out all my party bag tricks on the next. emotion_dowant

Sapphire/Emerald: Yeah, EQ work has been my arch nemesis since like forever. Sure, I can make melodies and chord progressions left and right, but if you only knew how much time I spend on EQ work and fail so hard. Thank you though, I will fix those issues. {Or attempt to.]

Xeethe Ingram
Layra-chan

The fly track is well... Sadly that's all it is, a simple 16 step pattern so I'm doing what I can to work on the progression. I'm actually making a different remix but I am also fixing this one as well, there was a contest and I didn't know about it. So I gotta pull out all my party bag tricks on the next. emotion_dowant

Sapphire/Emerald: Yeah, EQ work has been my arch nemesis since like forever. Sure, I can make melodies and chord progressions left and right, but if you only knew how much time I spend on EQ work and fail so hard. Thank you though, I will fix those issues. {Or attempt to.]

Many people argue against using them, but spectrum analyzers are really useful when looking for sub-issues.
Also try to go very lightly on the EQ; I mean, surgical EQ, when you're getting rid of a single frequency, you can cut out the frequency entirely, but for anything broader the idea is to only do the bare minimum to clear up clutter.
Layra-chan
Xeethe Ingram
Layra-chan

Many people argue against using them, but spectrum analyzers are really useful when looking for sub-issues.
Also try to go very lightly on the EQ; I mean, surgical EQ, when you're getting rid of a single frequency, you can cut out the frequency entirely, but for anything broader the idea is to only do the bare minimum to clear up clutter.

I love spectrum analysers!
New things up. @SC

Dangerous Rogue

7,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Hello folks, how have you all been? I have a lil something new I'm working on, my next submission for the Vinny contest. This is what I have so far though, any thoughts?

_WiP.mp3]Link

Dangerous Rogue

7,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Well, track is done.

http://soundcloud.com/exkyre/vinny-fly-higher-exkyre-remix

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff