Welcome to Gaia! ::

Exotype
Here is a sample of the music me and my friend are working on. It's been a long process and we are almost done with recording beats for the EP.

Everything's really lowpassed. I don't know if that's Youtube or intrinsic, but it sounds like there's nothing above 2khz. If I don't have the bass boost up on my speakers, I can't even hear the thud which I'm guessing is supposed to be the kick drum.
Also it sounds like you lost a bar around 0:46.
Layra-chan
Exotype
Here is a sample of the music me and my friend are working on. It's been a long process and we are almost done with recording beats for the EP.

Everything's really lowpassed. I don't know if that's Youtube or intrinsic, but it sounds like there's nothing above 2khz. If I don't have the bass boost up on my speakers, I can't even hear the thud which I'm guessing is supposed to be the kick drum.
Also it sounds like you lost a bar around 0:46.

I couldn't take the pretention seriously enough after seeing the image. I'll just stick by whatever Layra said. For gods sakes make a soundcloud and don't pretend to be the backstreet bots sans deux. Oh lawd.

My latest track:
http://soundcloud.com/justcoffee/imps-are-dancing

This is my first post here and I see myself coming back here in the future. So I figure I should post more politely than I usually do(I'm from the CB you see). I don't get much proper criticism. And by proper, I mean criticism that has actual input other than "i like it" or other. Thought it's always nice to receive praise every now and then.

Other tracks by me:
http://soundcloud.com/justcoffee
Note: Tracks tagged with "vocaroo" are tracks that I've made out of other people's vocaroos from gaia. I made them for fun and didn't really put much focus on them as I would have with the rest of the other tracks. But if you think they're worth criticizing, please do. I welcome it.

Be as critical as you want. I crave it.

Also, if any of you have the time, I'd like your thoughts on something.

I'm currently at that point in music-making where I'm confused which genre to stick to. I mean, I enjoy making electronic dance music. But I also enjoy making and experimenting with genres like rock, pop, soft electro, chill, complextro and dubstep(is that edm too? I'm not really sure).

So if you have the time, it'd be great if you could listen to my soundcloud(all of my tracks if you can), weigh out which genre I seem to be better at, and tell me your personal thoughts on which genre to stick with and why.

Cheers! yum_tea
Just Coffee

My latest track:

This is my first post here and I see myself coming back here in the future. So I figure I should post more politely than I usually do(I'm from the CB you see). I don't get much proper criticism. And by proper, I mean criticism that has actual input other than "i like it" or other. Thought it's always nice to receive praise every now and then.

Other tracks by me:
Note: Tracks tagged with "vocaroo" are tracks that I've made out of other people's vocaroos from gaia. I made them for fun and didn't really put much focus on them as I would have with the rest of the other tracks. But if you think they're worth criticizing, please do. I welcome it.

I'm currently at that point in music-making where I'm confused which genre to stick to. I mean, I enjoy making electronic dance music. But I also enjoy making and experimenting with genres like rock, pop, soft electro, chill, complextro and dubstep(is that edm too? I'm not really sure).

So if you have the time, it'd be great if you could listen to my soundcloud(all of my tracks if you can), weigh out which genre I seem to be better at, and tell me your personal thoughts on which genre to stick with and why.

Cheers! yum_tea

Any other tracks you would like us to track through specifically?
Just Coffee

My latest track:

Other tracks by me:

Cheers! yum_tea

Imps: Be careful with your compression; the pad is much louder when the kick is off than even the loudest parts between kicks. The track sort of folds into itself when the kick is going because of the sidechaining. Ideally the sidechain compressor should completely release before the kick hits again.

Better Not Mess: Innocuous enough, although it hits one of my peeves (hey, she's talking about peeves. It's a sign!). Specifically, using vocal samples and ignoring the natural rhythms and cadences of speech.

Noble Step: Not sure if I commented on this one yet. The harpsichord gets a little irritating. Sure, it's the main melody, but it be nice to have longer segments without the harpsichord running. Also a subbass.

Afloat: The melodic synths are too loud; pull the bass and percussion.

Bad Latency: The transition lead-ins are much louder than the following material. It's kind a letdown each time.

Prisoner: Vocal is too loud. Also was the processing necessary? The kick and snare both sound a little low-passed. Blending a clicky hihat into each could fix that.
Evolsine
Just Coffee

My latest track:

Other tracks by me:

Cheers! yum_tea

How about Imps? Or Lonely Kitty?
Layra-chan
Just Coffee

My latest track:

Other tracks by me:

Cheers! yum_tea

Imps: Be careful with your compression; the pad is much louder when the kick is off than even the loudest parts between kicks. The track sort of folds into itself when the kick is going because of the sidechaining. Ideally the sidechain compressor should completely release before the kick hits again.

Better Not Mess: Innocuous enough, although it hits one of my peeves (hey, she's talking about peeves. It's a sign!). Specifically, using vocal samples and ignoring the natural rhythms and cadences of speech.

Noble Step: Not sure if I commented on this one yet. The harpsichord gets a little irritating. Sure, it's the main melody, but it be nice to have longer segments without the harpsichord running. Also a subbass.

Afloat: The melodic synths are too loud; pull the bass and percussion.

Bad Latency: The transition lead-ins are much louder than the following material. It's kind a letdown each time.

Prisoner: Vocal is too loud. Also was the processing necessary? The kick and snare both sound a little low-passed. Blending a clicky hihat into each could fix that.

Thank you. Took notes on all of those. Yeah, it's apparent I still need more practice on EQing. I'm working on that. I've only just recently learned about the sub-bass. So only the new one has a little bit on it. I'm not even sure if its loud enough.

So what do you think of my work based on what you've heard so far?
Just Coffee
Evolsine
Just Coffee

My latest track:

Other tracks by me:

Cheers! yum_tea

Imps: The bass is takign up too much space. Pad feels wrongly levelled. Bass stereo panning is awkward. Feels like there is too much going on everywhere around my heard but without partocular organisation. Bass kick has too much bass at times and lacks definition. The speech synth could use a high pass. Some of the transitions like (2:17) sound awkward to me. Kick seems to overshadow whole mix chain when you side chain to re-intro it. The stereo panning of the dubstep glitch synth drives me insane.

Kitty: Vocals way too loud; drowning out everything. Esp the high sine wave synth when both are playing. Kick is being drowned out, same with snare by the high synth/vocals. Bass could use a boost. Is there another side chain going on here? I would add in more instruments tbh. Otherwise its not bad. Very poppy.

BIG EDIT: Tracking done on headphones. Will retrack later to see if there will be a massive change.
Evolsine
Just Coffee
Evolsine
Just Coffee

My latest track:

Other tracks by me:

Cheers! yum_tea

Imps: The bass is takign up too much space. Pad feels wrongly levelled. Bass stereo panning is awkward. Feels like there is too much going on everywhere around my heard but without partocular organisation. Bass kick has too much bass at times and lacks definition. The speech synth could use a high pass. Some of the transitions like (2:17) sound awkward to me. Kick seems to overshadow whole mix chain when you side chain to re-intro it. The stereo panning of the dubstep glitch synth drives me insane.

Kitty: Vocals way too loud; drowning out everything. Esp the high sine wave synth when both are playing. Kick is being drowned out, same with snare by the high synth/vocals. Bass could use a boost. Is there another side chain going on here? I would add in more instruments tbh. Otherwise its not bad. Very poppy.

BIG EDIT: Tracking done on headphones. Will retrack later to see if there will be a massive change.

Fixed the stereo panning on imps. No worries, you weren't the only one who had problems with it. I thought I'd try something different with the stereo. Apparently, it wasn't really appealing. XD
Imps was born out of experimenting with complextro and was meant to be glitchy and erratic. Can't say I'm starting to get the hang of it though. sweatdrop

Re-EQ'd mostly everything with this one. No sidechains were in this one though. I didn't know how to do them back then. I plan to have the vocals redone. I lost the audio file. X__x

The Committee Staff Member

This one feels promising. Progressive Trance going 140 BPM. I'm going to see if I can make some ambient pads using Massive later on. Don't mind the repetitious drum pattern. I plan on changing it later.

Alte Europa
Offizier Wolfgang
This one feels promising. Progressive Trance going 140 BPM. I'm going to see if I can make some ambient pads using Massive later on. Don't mind the repetitious drum pattern. I plan on changing it later.

Alte Europa

Could you actually post what you have without the drumming entirely? I think what you have is pretty good, except the drumming is both terrible (boring, too rumbly, too loud, too dry) and really distracting.

Layra-chan
Offizier Wolfgang

Alte Europa

Could you actually post what you have without the drumming entirely? I think what you have is pretty good, except the drumming is both terrible (boring, too rumbly, too loud, too dry) and really distracting.

I was trying out different drum patterns earlier. I thought maybe a dubstep kind of beat would go well somewhere in the song. I just don't want to start the song out with a really generic beat. I know what I have posted now is just that, but still.

Piano and strings only:
Alte Europa

Looking at this, it appears that the strings may be too high.
Offizier Wolfgang
Layra-chan
Offizier Wolfgang

Alte Europa

I was trying out different drum patterns earlier. I thought maybe a dubstep kind of beat would go well somewhere in the song. I just don't want to start the song out with a really generic beat. I know what I have posted now is just that, but still.

Piano and strings only:
Alte Europa

I think the main melody line of the piano is a bit too loud compared to the lower notes.

Also I think the piece is actually fine devoid of drumming altogether; I'd actually probably just stick a subbass line to give it a bit of body and warmth instead of putting in any percussion.

Layra-chan
Offizier Wolfgang
Layra-chan
Offizier Wolfgang

Alte Europa

Piano and strings only:
Alte Europa

I think the main melody line of the piano is a bit too loud compared to the lower notes.

Also I think the piece is actually fine devoid of drumming altogether; I'd actually probably just stick a subbass line to give it a bit of body and warmth instead of putting in any percussion.

The lower notes being the bassline, correct? The melody does seem to stand out quite a bit. As for sub-bass, do you mean an extra bass in there? I was considering putting a few more instruments here and there.
Offizier Wolfgang
Layra-chan
Offizier Wolfgang
Layra-chan
Offizier Wolfgang

Alte Europa

Piano and strings only:
Alte Europa

The lower notes being the bassline, correct? The melody does seem to stand out quite a bit. As for sub-bass, do you mean an extra bass in there? I was considering putting a few more instruments here and there.

Bassline? I think I mean that the treble notes are quite a bit louder than the mid-range notes.
And yeah, I was thinking just layer in a soft subbass pad beneath everything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff