Welcome to Gaia! ::

Layra-chan
I like how that thread is specifically "no critique, no discussion, just links". 'Cause apparently actual production talk goes in the main music forum.
Also, Wuzzel. And Glassbox. I miss.

I made this thread just FOR this particular discussion concerning EDM.
Koumaru

Updated, hope the EQ's better with this. Props to Eskae for the thought.

UPDATED AGAIN WOO
Crit this to hell. Needs lots of suggestions, tips and ideas.
Soundy-cloudy

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I think a little variation in the drums would be nice. The hats could use some chance every four bars or so. The bassdrum sounds rather dry to me, after the breakdown is more noticeable, I think you could use some filtering in the lead to cuttoff the lows, that might help to make the bassdrum stand out more.
Zegim
I think a little variation in the drums would be nice. The hats could use some chance every four bars or so. The bassdrum sounds rather dry to me, after the breakdown is more noticeable, I think you could use some filtering in the lead to cuttoff the lows, that might help to make the bassdrum stand out more.

It always sounds so good til I put it in mp3 format, and then soundcloud compresses even more. stressed I put some variation in the kick, tried mastering the volumes a little more to make it stand out more, the hats so terrible with the bassline but really good with the intro so I kept them in the intro, added some effects and a couple more filters to some sounds. Hows it sound now?
sound-cloud-age
Distort everything until it sounds fuller. Then compress.
User Image

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH /HowardDean

Tenchi Techno finished.
Evolsine
Distort everything until it sounds fuller. Then compress.

Im just gunna say screw it, its still sounds good as an mp3 now, soundcloud just ruins quality, not as bad as myspace, but ruined none the less haha.

Anyhooters, I think Im done with it, by far my most complicated track.
Final Edit??

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I think Soundcloud has the option to let people download the sound file as you uploaded it, without the downgrade in quality of the player on the site.

Anyway! It sounds a lot better now, it might need some work in mixing but it's certainly a good job.

By the way, Evolsine is right, some compression helps to make the sound fuller. Reason has a Tape Distortion available on Scream 4, I don't know if you have a plugin available with the same option, but a soft tape distortion helps to make things sound "phat" (because I don't want to say fuller again).

Kepp it up!
Zegim
I think Soundcloud has the option to let people download the sound file as you uploaded it, without the downgrade in quality of the player on the site.

Anyway! It sounds a lot better now, it might need some work in mixing but it's certainly a good job.

By the way, Evolsine is right, some compression helps to make the sound fuller. Reason has a Tape Distortion available on Scream 4, I don't know if you have a plugin available with the same option, but a soft tape distortion helps to make things sound "phat" (because I don't want to say fuller again).

Kepp it up!

I think in the last one to two months i have improved alot. Build-up progression and drop have taken quite the change for me, it might not be as noticeable to everyone else cause i tried to do a pro build up from the beginning but i think has improved quite alot. but compare this track to the "dutch house" track i tried to do and the improvement is almost extraordinary... At least I think so. The track still needs some work, and Im lazy so it probably wont happen, but a couple tracks from now I have alot of hope.

The original is up for download. Soooooooo if you wanna hear it without soundcloud killing it with compression its there.

I have noticed that when playing it on car speakers, computer speakers or anything thats not my ear cans, its kinda too bass-y. So I need some help on mastering a song right still.
-hedkandy-
Zegim

Kepp it up!

I think in the last one to two months i have improved alot. Build-up progression and drop have taken quite the change for me, it might not be as noticeable to everyone else cause i tried to do a pro build up from the beginning but i think has improved quite alot. but compare this track to the "dutch house" track i tried to do and the improvement is almost extraordinary... At least I think so. The track still needs some work, and Im lazy so it probably wont happen, but a couple tracks from now I have alot of hope.

The original is up for download. Soooooooo if you wanna hear it without soundcloud killing it with compression its there.

I have noticed that when playing it on car speakers, computer speakers or anything thats not my ear cans, its kinda too bass-y. So I need some help on mastering a song right still.

YOU. CANNOT. DO. A. PROPER. MIXDOWN. ON. CANS smile

But you can on a set of monitors.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Mastering =/= Mixdown

As I understand it, and my French comrade always seem to appear on this issue, Mastering is POST Mixdown.

Random google search brought up this fact readily:
(I have fixed the use of the English language to suit my deranged literary perfectionism)

"(M)astering is just a final polish. (I)f a master of mine comes back from our engineer sounding drastically different, then there was a problem with my mixdown. Never rely on mastering to fix a problem because it'll never sound as good as if you sorted it in the mixing stage."
Koumaru
User Image

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH /HowardDean

Tenchi Techno finished.

edited link, looked like it was broken.

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
-hedkandy-
Zegim

Kepp it up!

Indeed, you are improving really quickly.

Son, I'm pride emo

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces