Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Committee Staff Member

Exotype
Here's my first try and drum & bass. Sorry if it sounds too repetitive. I just need a few pointers and what I could do better next time. Thank you!

D3M0 - D3M0

I lol'd. lol I thought the vocals here were unnecessary. Throughout the whole track, in other words. There wasn't a melody at all. I was expecting to hear something at least. The percussion should have been chopped up a lot. I didn't feel this really had any syncopation like a lot of D&B or jungle does. And speaking of genres, it didn't sound like either one of those. Please, whatever you do, never use the presets in FL Studio. Unless you know for a fact you can make them sound good, which I don't even know how that could ever happen. If you lack any knowledge of music theory, then I would suggest going to a college that teaches you this, go online and look up the topic, or buy an Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. Either one works.

Don't take this the wrong way. This is criticism. If I had said this was great, I wouldn't be doing you any good. I would be lying to you. If this hurts you in any way, I'm sorry. I'm not aiming to fire you down or make you quit. My intentions, as well as anybody elses who says this, is to help you get better at making music.
Pink-chan, you should rename this thread to something more intelligible. Like "Official Music Production Feedback Thread" or "Official Constructive Criticism Thread". The current title is a string of jargon and acronyms.

Mega Kitten

We are Two and a Half Sucky Minutes Later: a two piece music project with a synth player and a drummer. I don't know what genre we'd fit into exactly.. but I'd still love it if you could give us a listen.

We aren't very established and have unfinished recordings up at the moment (our recording interface died on us mid-recording), but you can get a general feel for what we're aiming at.

We would really appreciate it if you took the time to check us out and "like" us on Facebook if we're of any interest to you. Like I said, I know our recordings aren't top grade, but if you find them appealing, they're all up for free download on our bandcamp. I would also really appreciate it if you would message me (either here, PM, or on FB) and give us some of your input! We would love to hear your opinion of our sound, whether it's what we need to work on or what we're doing great that we can build off of.

http://twoandahalfminutes.bandcamp.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twoandahalfminutes
Xephii Chan
We are Two and a Half Sucky Minutes Later: a two piece music project with a synth player and a drummer. I don't know what genre we'd fit into exactly.. but I'd still love it if you could give us a listen.

We aren't very established and have unfinished recordings up at the moment (our recording interface died on us mid-recording), but you can get a general feel for what we're aiming at.

We would really appreciate it if you took the time to check us out and "like" us on Facebook if we're of any interest to you. Like I said, I know our recordings aren't top grade, but if you find them appealing, they're all up for free download on our bandcamp. I would also really appreciate it if you would message me (either here, PM, or on FB) and give us some of your input! We would love to hear your opinion of our sound, whether it's what we need to work on or what we're doing great that we can build off of.

http://twoandahalfminutes.bandcamp.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twoandahalfminutes

Soundcloud?

Also this is not a promotion thread. We give feedback.
Layra-chan
Pink-chan, you should rename this thread to something more intelligible. Like "Official Music Production Feedback Thread" or "Official Constructive Criticism Thread". The current title is a string of jargon and acronyms.

Noted and shall be changed shortly.
Jono Blue
Exotype
Here's my first try and drum & bass. Sorry if it sounds too repetitive. I just need a few pointers and what I could do better next time. Thank you!

D3M0 - D3M0

I lol'd. lol I thought the vocals here were unnecessary. Throughout the whole track, in other words. There wasn't a melody at all. I was expecting to hear something at least. The percussion should have been chopped up a lot. I didn't feel this really had any syncopation like a lot of D&B or jungle does. And speaking of genres, it didn't sound like either one of those. Please, whatever you do, never use the presets in FL Studio. Unless you know for a fact you can make them sound good, which I don't even know how that could ever happen. If you lack any knowledge of music theory, then I would suggest going to a college that teaches you this, go online and look up the topic, or buy an Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. Either one works.

Don't take this the wrong way. This is criticism. If I had said this was great, I wouldn't be doing you any good. I would be lying to you. If this hurts you in any way, I'm sorry. I'm not aiming to fire you down or make you quit. My intentions, as well as anybody elses who says this, is to help you get better at making music.

You have made me scared of clicking that link.

Sadly I did.

1. No fl vocals./ Stop it. Its not even funny.
2. Do not use the random kicks. There are actual breaks out there to be cut up if you don't want to spent a few hours toning out generated samples etc. This is not drum and bass.
3. There is no melody. Random hogdepodge.
4. It sounds like someone set the initial pattern to randomize and hit go.

In totality? You need to learn the software and listen more to the genre you want to produce.
Evolsine
Layra-chan
FL is fine. Evol and I both use FL. Supposedly FL is limited somehow according to DAW snobs, but I've never gotten an answer on how it's limited, other than not being infinitely modular, but to be honest "modularity" rarely makes a difference in music quality. Also there are some people who complain about sound quality issues, which I don't know enough about and am not sensitive enough to say anything authoritative, but again it sounds a bit bullshit.
Anyone whose problem with FL is that people often use it to make crap ought to have their fingers sown to their eyeballs.

I can automate almost everything in fl. Is this not enough? Also it renders in 460 quality and accepts every vst under the sun. You don't even have to use the built in effects or generators. Saying FL is for "noobs and hacks" is like saying one car is not a car for real men. What does that even mean?

Other DAWS I have tried:

1. Rebirth
2. Synapse's Orion
3. Ableton
4. Reason
5. Renoise

Fl versions I have used:
3/ 4 briefly /5 until 2009/2010 / 7/ 8<< currently use / 9

There must be a reason people use it....and not all of them are retarded.

These quotes are true. Hell even Deadmau5 uses FL, and look where he is now! Really it doesn't matter what you use as long as it works right for you.

Mega Kitten

Evolsine
Xephii Chan

Soundcloud?

Also this is not a promotion thread. We give feedback.

We don't have a Soundcloud? We've got a Bandcamp and a Facebook.

Also, I was told to come here because I'm looking for constructive criticism on my project, which is why I state "I would appreciate it if you'd message me and give your input, blah blah blah..." Sorry.

Lonely Noob

Evolsine

Whats that?
xxxOHackOxxx
Evolsine

Whats that?

What is what?

Lonely Noob

Evolsine
xxxOHackOxxx
Evolsine

Whats that?

What is what?

a sitar soundfont
xxxOHackOxxx
Evolsine
xxxOHackOxxx
Evolsine

Whats that?

What is what?

a sitar soundfont

A soundfont is a type of file that is good for sound samples; in particular, it is good for reproducing an entire set of sounds instead of just one or two like normal samples. For example, a sitar soundfont would have samples of a sitar, encoded so that if Evol puts in a C note, the soundfont will give him a sample of a C being played on a sitar, and so on.

Lonely Noob

Layra-chan
xxxOHackOxxx
Evolsine
xxxOHackOxxx
Evolsine

Whats that?

What is what?

a sitar soundfont

A soundfont is a type of file that is good for sound samples; in particular, it is good for reproducing an entire set of sounds instead of just one or two like normal samples. For example, a sitar soundfont would have samples of a sitar, encoded so that if Evol puts in a C note, the soundfont will give him a sample of a C being played on a sitar, and so on.

Sitar is a guitar right?
xxxOHackOxxx
Sitar is a guitar right?

Similar to, but much more complicated. In addition to the normal playing strings, the sitar has numerous sympathetic strings to provide resonance and overtones, leading to a much fuller sound than an acoustic guitar produces. It was popular in the 1960s when George Harrison started playing it for Beatles' songs. For example, you can hear it at the beginning of:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff