Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Smoker

11,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Jack-pot 100
I've had a few neat encounters with rabbits over the course of my lifetime. I will share three, and I'd love if someone came to share theirs with me!

I

When I was a teeny little thing, my neighbor had this hatch of rabbits. I don't remember why. But they all escaped. Some continued to hang around the neighborhood and in the woods, but he was unable to catch any.

We, ourselves, had a huntress of a cat named Curious. She was always killing and eating things, but she never tried to do the rabbits any harm because they were big enough and strong enough to fight back (e.g. kick her in the face).

Now one day, the both of them were outside in our yard. The rabbit was eating a pear that had fallen off our tree and the cat was a little ways away and they were minding their own business.

Until, of course, a harmless and unsuspecting dinky little thing of a bird came a little too close for its own good. Rabbits were out of Curious' league but birds she could (and often did) handle with ease. So, of course, she starts stalking it. The rabbit notices and decides, "No, I don't like that."

So it hops its little tail over and starts harassing our cat. The bird, disturbed by the commotion, makes a smart decision and flies away. Curious, still unable to tussle with the rabbit and having lost her easy prey stalks off in a huff.

The rabbits are long gone now (it might have to do with foxes, which sometimes yip in the night from the woods) but I was old enough to remember seeing them.

Lonely Smoker

11,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Jack-pot 100
II

This one is a bit sad, as well as short.

It was Monday when I still took the bus to school. Right after Easter Sunday, actually! Literally the monday after.

So I wake up, go about my morning routine of falling asleep in the shower and being a general grouch all the way out the door.

We (my mum and I, because she walked the dog while I waited for the bus) were about to head up the horribly irritating hill to get to the stop when I saw that, on the curb, was a rabbit. Unfortunately, it was deceased and though I wanted to bury it (or at least move it out of sight) I would have missed the bus, so my mum urged me on.

It was a hot day and by the time I'd gotten home I didn't dare go near the poor thing. Besides, as my mum told me later, the crows had had a go at it.

I found it eerie to see a dead rabbit the day after Easter, and I tend to remember the story every year when it rolls around.

Frozen Gatekeeper

11,700 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Loiterer 100
one time my cousin's rabbit died
the end

Feral Fatcat

13,700 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
two started living in my backyard a few years ago. they had belonged to two separate families that just ended up not giving a damn about what their bunnies were up to (which honestly makes me so mad because buns are prey animals and if you buy a pet you should actually put in the effort to look after it...) so we adopted them. They never reproduced so they were either fixed or the same sex. On of them died last year, but the other one is happy and alive.

Lonely Smoker

11,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Jack-pot 100
III

Last, but certainly not least, is a short generic "oh my god a baby bunny" story.

It was evening and I was at my grandmother's house. She also has a cat, dubbed Batman, but he is not nearly as good a hunter as Curious was. We probably have him to thank for the story though.

Apparently my grandmother saw him stalking something and went to investigate. I'm sure you can all guess what it was!

She brought inside a little rabbit with bristly, tickly brown fur. I was allowed to hold him. He was big enough to fit in both my hands cupped together, but that's not saying much because I have the hands of that guy in that stupid Whopper commercial now, and my hands were probably smaller since I was significantly younger.

I don't really remember what happened after that, but he hid his teeny little face in the curve of my fingers and wriggled around, frightened. I think my grandmother made up a box for him to sleep safe in for the night until his own mum could be located in the morning.

And those are my strange/interesting/whatever rabbit stories! If anyone has any others, I'd love to hear them. emotion_bigheart

Lonely Smoker

11,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Sodomy Soliloquy
one time my cousin's rabbit died
the end

:^(

Lonely Smoker

11,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Bronia
two started living in my backyard a few years ago. they had belonged to two separate families that just ended up not giving a damn about what their bunnies were up to (which honestly makes me so mad because buns are prey animals and if you buy a pet you should actually put in the effort to look after it...) so we adopted them. They never reproduced so they were either fixed or the same sex. On of them died last year, but the other one is happy and alive.

Aaaah, that's cute! And irresponsible of their owners. cat_stare

Apparently there's a high rate of rabbit adoption around Easter, but the families who get them usually don't see them as the responsibility they're supposed to be and start neglecting them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games