Welcome to Gaia! ::

...why should we wait until we /have/ actually changed the climate (or the entire planet, for that matter) for the worst?
Shouldn't we still pollute less and make things more eco-friendly, regardless of whether or not it's affecting us now?
There will always be controversy over global warming/climate change, so I'm not going to argue with anyone about it. My point is, why not just do as little as possible to harm the earth, just for the sake of it?
Even if we haven't had an impact on the climate, we're certainly having an impact on the earth in other negative ways. We are destroying a lot of the environment, and we are polluting. I think it's important to preserve as much of the natural world as possible, even if it won't come back to bite the human race for hundreds of years- that is, given we survive that long. sweatdrop
So, please discuss, if you wish. I'd love to hear some opinions from other people. :3

Shirtless Elder

9,875 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
I've posted my arguement against Global Warming here.
Myriad Lapse
I've posted my arguement against Global Warming http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/earth-day/why-global-warming-is-a-hoax-please-read-whole-first-post/t.60438081/]here.

Yes, I've seen that. But as I've said before, I'm not going to discuss whether Global Warming is indeed taking place or not. I'd like to talk more about the significant impact we're having on the ecosystems of the earth, which is undeniable. :3
Unfortunately our economy relies on "cyclical consumption" -- that we have to constantly consume goods in order to keep our economy afloat. So that means that abuses will take place in the system -- it saves money to dump waste in rivers that people drink from; if there are less trees, then all the better, more money can be charged for paper products which leads to increased profits. That also applies to the oil companies (who by the way, buy up alternate energy patents so they will have little competition and thus get to monopolize the energy market, leaving us all pretty ******** when oil prices start to rise).
Beverast
Unfortunately our economy relies on "cyclical consumption" -- that we have to constantly consume goods in order to keep our economy afloat. So that means that abuses will take place in the system -- it saves money to dump waste in rivers that people drink from; if there are less trees, then all the better, more money can be charged for paper products which leads to increased profits. That also applies to the oil companies (who by the way, buy up alternate energy patents so they will have little competition and thus get to monopolize the energy market, leaving us all pretty ******** when oil prices start to rise).

Yes, it really is a terrible predicament that we're in. I'm not going to even pretend to know much about economics, seeing as how I have yet to take the course in school, but I appreciate your input. :3
Sadly people are so money-hungry. It makes us lose sight of what's truly valuable. D:
*gasp* I must make an Earth Day avatar! :O

4,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
we really should have an earth day, just so we can help the earth, one step at a time.....doing it all at once is too much for us to handle...but if we take time, it will help! blaugh blaugh blaugh
Cynical Optimist
My point is, why not just do as little as possible to harm the earth, just for the sake of it?

I completely agree with this. I do believe we should protect our environment, recycle, waste as little as possible and conserve- I just think Al Gore is full of bullshit.
Not believing in man-made global warming doesn't make us haters of Earth and lovers of pollution. That's like saying an atheist is evil because they don't believe in God. Totally untrue, just as an atheist can be a good, giving person; someone who doesn't buy into global warming can still be an environmentalist.
Latopazora
Cynical Optimist
My point is, why not just do as little as possible to harm the earth, just for the sake of it?

I completely agree with this. I do believe we should protect our environment, recycle, waste as little as possible and conserve- I just think Al Gore is full of bullshit.
Not believing in man-made global warming doesn't make us haters of Earth and lovers of pollution. That's like saying an atheist is evil because they don't believe in God. Totally untrue, just as an atheist can be a good, giving person; someone who doesn't buy into global warming can still be an environmentalist.

Mmhmm, that makes a lot of sense. People need to get past arguing with each other over global warming. If it does exist, then all the more reason to work to prevent it from getting worse. If it doesn't, we still need to respect the earth and take care of it as well as we can. :3
No.
The Earth has gone through very cold and very warm periods in the past before.
MiRaCLExMOOn
No.

...did you read the entire first post? :/
Cynical Optimist
MiRaCLExMOOn
No.

Nope. D:
MiRaCLExMOOn
Cynical Optimist
MiRaCLExMOOn
No.

Nope. D:

Haha, okay, just checkin'. X3

4,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
thats true an also recycle have fun doin it an save water trees an dont do car wash unless its in bikini or topless rofl rofl rofl
Okay. I read the first post. To me Global Warming isn't as big of a deal. We were also supposedly worried about Global Cooling in the 1970s or something.
Yeah, polluting the Earth definitely is bad and its destroying the Ozone layer. That's what I'm worried about.

xD But yes, stop polluting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces