Welcome to Gaia! ::

Diedrich said in the Earth Day room that pikas are going to die because of rising temperatures.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Is this true?

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Befriended 100
Whew, I thought you ment Pikachu..
Spring Fevers

You're kidding, right? gonk

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Befriended 100
hello koala
Spring Fevers

Pikachu helps destroy team rocket, and helps other pokemon/people out and stuff... Without Pikachu, our world would be infested with team rocket members.
Spring Fevers
hello koala
Spring Fevers

Pikachu helps destroy team rocket, and helps other pokemon/people out and stuff... Without Pikachu, our world would be infested with team rocket members.

You have a point.

But pikas are kind of like the IRL pikachu. They're just as cute. ;o;

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Befriended 100
hello koala
Spring Fevers
hello koala
Spring Fevers

You have a point.

But pikas are kind of like the IRL pikachu. They're just as cute. ;o;

Pikachu pwns all. ;O

Hunter

They are kind of the same in a way.

User Image
Spring Fevers

Sparkly Exhibitionist

User Image

Spring Fevers

I thought the same thing.

But they probably will. It's depressing to think that way, but you also have to know that climate change has always existed. It always will. There will always be animals dying out.

I am sorry it's something so cute. ;-;

Capitalist

lol @ global warming. as a geologist, I have to say that panicking over such a thing is utterly futile.

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Befriended 100
Orurouni
lol @ global warming. as a geologist, I have to say that panicking over such a thing is utterly futile.

We shouldn't let Pikachu die, should we?

Capitalist

Spring Fevers
Orurouni

We shouldn't let Pikachu die, should we?
THAT I agree with XD!
nighthawks at phillies
Diedrich said in the Earth Day room that pikas are going to die because of rising temperatures.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Is this true?

Yes, it is true:

Pika Facts

* Pikas live in boulder fields surrounded by meadows on mountain peaks. They avoid the summer heat by seeking the cool crevices under the boulders and by remaining inactive during warm periods.
* Despite the long, cold, snowy winters at high elevations, pikas do not hibernate.
* Pikas spend summers diligently gathering flowers and grasses and store them in “haypiles” for food to sustain them through the long winters.
* These “boulder bunnies,” which weigh only a third of a pound, must collect more than 60 pounds of vegetation to survive the winter.
* Global warming threatens pikas by shortening the time available for them to gather food, changing the types of plants that grow where they live, reducing the insulating snowpack during winter, and, most directly, causing the animals to die from overheating.

This is from this site: http://www.sierraforestlegacy.org/FC_SierraNevadaWildlifeRisk/AmericanPika.php

Because they live at such high altitudes, in some places they have no higher to go to stay cool and are dying out. However, all it not lost! They are being wiped out in many areas but doing well in others.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/american-pika-global-warming.html

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces