Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
Hesiod's Theogony tells how, after Chaos, arose broad-breasted Gaia, the everlasting foundation of the gods of Olympus. She brought forth Uranus, the starry sky, her equal, to cover her, the hills (Ourea), and the fruitless deep of the Sea, Pontus, "without sweet union of love," out of her own self through parthenogenesis. But afterwards, as Hesiod tells it,

She lay with her son, Uranus, and bore the world-ocean god Oceanus, Coeus and Crius and the Titans Hyperion and Iapetus, Theia and Rhea [that's my name!], Themis, Mnemosyne, and Phoebe of the golden crown, and lovely Tethys. After them was born Cronus the wily, youngest and most terrible of her children, and he hated his lusty sire.

Hesiod mentions Gaia's further offspring conceived with Uranus: first the giant one-eyed Cyclopes: Brontes ("thunderer" wink , Steropes ("lightning" wink , and the "bright" Arges: "Strength and might and craft were in their works." Then he adds the three terrible hundred-handed sons of Earth and Heaven, the Hecatonchires: Cottus, Briareos, and Gyges, each with fifty heads.

Uranus hid the Hecatonchires and the Cyclopes in Tartarus so that they would not see the light, rejoicing in this evil doing. This caused pain to Gaia (Tartarus was her bowels) so she created grey flint (or adamantine) and shaped a great flint sickle, gathering together Cronus and his brothers to ask them to obey her. Only Cronus, the youngest, had the daring to take the flint sickle she made, and castrate his father as he approached Gaia to have intercourse with her. And from the drops of blood and semen [sorry for the graphic-ness!, hey, it's just life tho], Gaia brought forth still more progeny, the strong Erinyes and the armoured Gigantes and the ash-tree Nymphs called the Meliae.

From the testicles of Uranus in the sea came forth Aphrodite. After Uranus's castration, Gaia, by Tartarus, gave birth to Echidna (by some accounts) and Typhon. By her son Pontus (god of the sea), Gaia birthed the sea-deities Nereus, Thaumas, Phorcys, Ceto, and Eurybia. Aergia, a goddess of sloth and laziness, is the daughter of Aether and Gaia.
Tellus Mater, a Roman counterpart of Gaia, steps out of her chariot - detail of a sarcophagus in the Glyptothek, Munich

Zeus hid Elara, one of his lovers, from Hera by hiding her under the earth. His son by Elara, the giant Tityos, is therefore sometimes said to be a son of Gaia, the earth goddess.

Gaia is believed by some sources to be the original deity behind the Oracle at Delphi. Depending on the source, Gaia passed her powers on to Poseidon, Apollo or Themis. Apollo is the best-known as the oracle power behind Delphi, long established by the time of Homer, having killed Gaia's child Python there and usurped the chthonic power. Hera punished Apollo for this by sending him to King Admetus as a shepherd for nine years.

In classical art Gaia was represented in one of two ways. In Athenian vase painting she was shown as a matronly woman only half risen from the earth, often in the act of handing the baby Erichthonius (a future king of Athens) to Athena to foster.

Gaia also made Aristaeus immortal.

Oaths sworn in the name of Gaia, in ancient Greece, were considered the most binding of all.

Later in mosaic representations she appears as a woman reclining upon the earth surrounded by a host of Carpi, infant gods of the fruits of the earth

User Image

Interstellar Scrounger

I did not expect to stumble upon such dense reading while perusing this thread.

Schlaghund's Princess

Sweetest Delight

58,900 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Sunny Side Up 100
It does my old heart good to see the youth of today taking an interest in the classics.
i think a bit more modern language might have made that make a bit more sense ---

that looks like something from a 1600's translation! LOL

4,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
AWw you guys are all so cuute !
I'm sorry I'm a nerd.
Lady Gaia......my pagan goddess watches over me everyday......

2,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Voter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Yay the earth made it through another earth day, that like a birthday for it, way to go Earth

Conservative Survivor

shellsmachine
It does my old heart good to see the youth of today taking an interest in the classics.

It's just a copy/paste...you can tell from the captions indicating pictures and lack thereof that she didn't carefully read through it. Interesting read, for those who do.

Quote:
Aergia, a goddess of sloth and laziness, is the daughter of Aether and Gaia.

There's a god I didn't know about, of which I always suspected the presence!

4,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
Sigh. Yes, well... this isn't my thesis paper or something I would spend a lot of time on. I have a job, a busy life, things to do, people to see, places to be... I don't have all freakin' day to write some published worthy bit of information for you. Sorry.. It's not about perfection in this instance, it's about LIFE~ so go out there and live some and get off the COMPUTER <3

4,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
Intuet
shellsmachine

It's just a copy/paste...you can tell from the captions indicating pictures and lack thereof that she didn't carefully read through it. Interesting read, for those who do.

Quote:
Aergia, a goddess of sloth and laziness, is the daughter of Aether and Gaia.

There's a god I didn't know about, of which I always suspected the presence!

And what makes you think I didn't read it just because I didn't set up a template and carefully copy and paste it so you can have some perfected thing which I am not going to sit here and type for some meaningless fraction of a minuscule nothing that I could have just entered a link for.. obviously I know enough about Gaia from studying theology and history and meaning for the past 15 years. If I was going to write something poignant myself, I'd paste it into wikipedia from my document instead of putting it into Gaia.. hahaha. I'm sorry, I guess it's rather funny to me that someone would have said something snarky and impolite about something that, if thought through, would have told you was something I'm not trying to perfect anyways. Ha! good luck out there working through imperfections sweethart.

Conservative Survivor

aarlah

And what makes you think I didn't read it just because I didn't set up a template and carefully copy and paste it so you can have some perfected thing which I am not going to sit here and type for some meaningless fraction of a minuscule nothing that I could have just entered a link for.. obviously I know enough about Gaia from studying theology and history and meaning for the past 15 years. If I was going to write something poignant myself, I'd paste it into wikipedia from my document instead of putting it into Gaia.. hahaha. I'm sorry, I guess it's rather funny to me that someone would have said something snarky and impolite about something that, if thought through, would have told you was something I'm not trying to perfect anyways. Ha! good luck out there working through imperfections sweethart.

So Gaia isn't worthy of more than "a meaningless fraction of a miniscule nothing?" That's harsh. neutral

And you're telling me to get off the computer, yet you felt it was important enough to spend the time on the computer to compose posts telling me so?

I liked the article anyways. razz
Keep it GREEN!!!!

4,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
No, I obviously like Gaia too.. all I was trying to point out was that yeah, its more of a stream of consciousness sort of place. People posting at 1000 or more times a minute, often times quoting or just saying one sentence. So if you think this is a scientific or religious discourse, then I suppose I might be wrong in assuming that it was anything otherwise; but I'm pretty sure theres a topic thread suggesting in depth discussions, but I am pretty sure this was not that thread as well.

Yeah.... go outside, its great out. Glad you enjoyed the article. I guess every time I post or read something meaningful, there's always someone who has to come along and point out some flaw or imperfection on something, without adding any of their own thoughts or even saying anything though provoking on the proposed topic, so that's why I have a lackadaisical attitude about posting here, unless in the extended topic forum. But it doesn't mean I'm lazy, just trying to get a lot done.

ciao

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces