Welcome to Gaia! ::

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
MarkM117
1. when isn't an xbox owner playing online? during storms? oh no! that means you have to go out and be social! If you think you can't be social during a storm you obviously never lived in Oklahoma

If you HAVE to play your video games online, you already have lost the fabric of a social life.

Quote:
2. Sharing is caring
sharing is allowed
limiting shares keeps them from losing too much money. money used to make better games and keep them from going bankrupt

And now for a dose of reality:

That argument is complete bullshit propaganda. Sharing games does NOT affect the company, in the slightest. They already got the FULL PRICE of the game, the first time it was sold. Trading it does not stop them from getting the revenue. They got that with the primary distribution. And, by allowing someone to trade a game, possibly in the form of "borrowing", there's an increase in likelihood of a second full sale, as the borrower may very well decide to get their own copy. This, however, depends on the quality of the game.

Also, this issue does not affect Microsoft. If anything, it effects the developers, which, more often than not, are 3rd party vendors.

Microsoft did this just to squeeze a few extra dollars from their loyalists. Nothing about lost profits. Just more POTENTIAL profits.

Quote:
3. DRM restrictions
authorized traders is a good idea. companies lose money because of gamestop and the sort. less money to make better games and dlc. this is also partly(look that word up. it doesn't mean entirely) why game prices are as high as they are now.

And this is where game quality comes in. People are not going to want to pay full price for a game that sucks out loud. I remember buying Yoshi Touch and Go, for the full price of a premium DS title. The game had exactly 2 levels, with a total play-through of about 5 minutes. Needless to say, I was rather pissed that I paid full price for a shitty game that I didn't play for even a second day...This is where trading comes in. It forces the developers to focus on making quality games that people will not only want to play, but want to OWN. It's quality assurance.

Quote:
You do realize that without their DRM, there would be nothing to stop someone buying a game, installing it and then selling the game on or giving it away while still keeping his or her installed copy, right?

That's why previous systems (excluding early PC) haven't allowed for disc based games to be "installed" onto the hard-drive, and then passed along. You have to have the disc in the machine, to play. Cuts down on hard-drive memory expense, and helps prevent that sort of piracy. Much like how you have to have the key in the car, to start the engine.

Quote:
4.Kinect privacy
"When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too."

sounds like i can turn the kinect off if i want to. if you're that paranoid, like i said cover the lens and mic, or are you too lazy for even as simple a task as that?

You're crying "lazy" to people who don't want to buy a system that's turned on by a voice command, as opposed to having to get out of the chair, walk across the room, and actually physically press a button?

Quote:
5. and now ps4 players have to pay to play online! welcome to playstation live kiddies. sure you may get a free game once in a while but you still get crap security! yay! emotion_awesome

If you're an intelligent person, you don't need security. Just like Facebook. Don't put anything online, that you wouldn't want exposed to the general public.

And I've yet to actually see anything saying you HAVE to pay for PSN, now. I'm pretty sure that's only if you want the PS+, which is a premium upgrade.

Quote:
The xbox one does more than just games. It's a family system. They thought about how families use the system.

Whatever happened to gaming systems being for gaming?

Yes, it seems the guys at Microsoft have forgotten that everyone who would even consider buying their shitty video game console, already has a machine to do all of those other features. I'm typing this message on it, right now. It's called a PC. Since they created the OS for it, I would think they, of all people, would remember this fact...

Quote:
you all seem to be getting your panties in a twist over nothing. if you would think and do research you'd know these things. it seems though, that the education system has failed to teach you these skills.

I could say the same for you, Micro-naught.

Quote:
i blame your schools for lack of fund raisers to afford the books you would need to read and the money to pay teachers to give a crap about your education

Says the guy who obviously failed economics 101.
MarkM117
1. when isn't an xbox owner playing online? during storms? oh no! that means you have to go out and be social! If you think you can't be social during a storm you obviously never lived in Oklahoma

2. Sharing is caring
sharing is allowed
limiting shares keeps them from losing too much money. money used to make better games and keep them from going bankrupt

3. DRM restrictions
authorized traders is a good idea. companies lose money because of gamestop and the sort. less money to make better games and dlc. this is also partly(look that word up. it doesn't mean entirely) why game prices are as high as they are now.

You do realize that without their DRM, there would be nothing to stop someone buying a game, installing it and then selling the game on or giving it away while still keeping his or her installed copy, right? It's why they have install codes on pc games. but even that was cracked. now authentications and one code per customer has been implemented. They would lose serious money and go bankrupt otherwise. Sony has practically stated that they don't care if you pirate their games thus losing them mass amounts of money forcing them to go broke

4.Kinect privacy
"When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too."

sounds like i can turn the kinect off if i want to. if you're that paranoid, like i said cover the lens and mic, or are you too lazy for even as simple a task as that?

5. and now ps4 players have to pay to play online! welcome to playstation live kiddies. sure you may get a free game once in a while but you still get crap security! yay! emotion_awesome

The xbox one does more than just games. It's a family system. They thought about how families use the system.

you all seem to be getting your panties in a twist over nothing. if you would think and do research you'd know these things. it seems though, that the education system has failed to teach you these skills. i blame your schools for lack of fund raisers to afford the books you would need to read and the money to pay teachers to give a crap about your education

lol you seem to post the same s**t on different threads, but can't respond when someone makes a valid point. You are truly an Xbox fanboy. wink

Greedy Capitalist

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
Just a few things I'd like to point out to you here:

black_wing_angel
AdvanceEX
Okay, I find that it's kind of ridiculous how there's so much hate around the Xbox One. As a console, the Xbox One looks fine and is still a worthy rival to the PS4

By what standard? It's a glorified, digitized money-pit. $500 to buy the system. $15 a month for MANDATORY online access, and fees out the a**, for the most trival things.

Vs $400 for the system, free access to OPTIONAL online functionality (with "premium" online being a mere $5 a month, I'm told), and to my knowledge, no fees for anything.

So save $100 right out of the box, and you can honestly get away with not spending another penny, outside of software purchases. And you can use it, even in the most remote locations, where internet access is barely available, and not without a steep price-tag...

But it's still a contender? rofl

Yes if we were discussing the price and value between the two consoles then the Xbox One would lose horribly in that category but I'm not talking about price here, I'm talking about the specs. Both consoles both use modified 8-core AMD processors. However, the PS4 uses 8GB of DDR5 RAM while the Xbox One uses 8GB DDR3 RAM. This does give the PS4 a slight advantage, but the gap between the two consoles isn't large enough to warrant a major difference in performance. (Sorry Wii-U, a tri-core processor and 2GB of RAM won't cut it in the next gen console wars.)

black_wing_angel
Quote:
Now if we leave the consoles alone, the real screw up lies with Microsoft's marketing team. I'd have to say that quite a few mistakes that they made were easily avoidable. The whole DRM and "always on" policy was really poorly projected to the consumers, having the system check for updates and download them in the background is a convenient feature, having to check in every 24 hours isn't and it isolates a moderate portion of potential customers who don't constantly have access to an internet connection.

Ok, but there's a massive difference between having a system that will quietly check for updates, when I'm not playing, for convenience sake, and if I'm not able to connect to the internet for 2 weeks, no problem....and one that REQUIRES that check be made every 24 hours, or it flips its s**t.

Microsoft should have stopped at the background updates part but nope.

black_wing_angel
Quote:
Full details on licencing is here: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license. Being able to digitalize your entire games library after buying them is one the Xbox One's new features.

In my day, you didn't need that. You just bought a book-case to store all of your games on.

Not everybody needs this feature but it's there for those who want it. If companies didn't bring out new features and such we'd then go on to accuse them of lacking in innovation.

black_wing_angel
Quote:
Microsoft utilizes the cloud system to allow you to share your entire digital games library with up to 10 family members and friends on any console is one of the most innovative ideas I've seen so far and the most overlooked.

Also completely unnecessary, when I can just hand a small plastic disc to a buddy, and achieve the same basic result...For free, no less.

Yes, it is completely unnecessary but it's a risk they made. I honestly thing that the current system of handing your game to your friend to share it is better but me and my friend have an idea that could make use of this feature to save us more money than before hehehe....

black_wing_angel
Quote:
In comparison, Sony's decision to retain the current used games model is undoubtedly the smarter business practice since if the system ain't broke, don't fix it.

In terms of pricing, yes the PS4 is $100 cheaper than the Xbox one. Sony wins this round when it comes to price. If Microsoft took a minute to think that the majority of gamers don't use Kinect, they could make it a separate accessory like they do now and not tack on the extra $100. Let's face the truth, not everybody is rich, people will lean towards what is cheaper. Subscription service wise, despite Sony finally charging people approximately $60 for PS+ and online play,

Um...you want to fact check that for me? Last I heard, there is no fee for online play with PSN. Only a PS+ account, which is not a requirement for online play.

They announced that multiplayer on the PS4 will require PS+, I believe that the PS3 will be unaffected

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
La Pieuvre Inanimee
The only reason why people are hating on Microsoft right now is because of the trash talk that Sony did at E3. In the end, you would feel that both of them would have gone in the same direction as what Microsoft is doing due to the fact that both of the rumors were being thrown around for both consoles for months to a year. Sony saw the reaction of gamers and quickly worked out a way to get more of the hype train building up.

Both companies actually ******** up a little bit because they didn't talk about much. Microsoft talked about using tablets for extra gameplay mechanics and while that sounds cool, I don't a tablet and that's a little expensive for an extra controller. Plus they mentioned Kinect very little so I'm wondering why they even have it. They went into detail about how much the Kinect improved but showed no gameplay what so ever to see how it works.

Sony ******** up too, so back down you bandwagoners. Sony came up and talked games and that was amazing. However they basically mentioned Vita very little and totally skipped over any usage of the Playstation Move and the new camera accessory that the PS4 will have seperate. Not only that but the cloud service that they will be working with won't be up until some time in 2014. The PS4 doesn't come with the camera. Had they seen how interested people were in a new Kinect, they would have bundled it and increased the price. However they didn't because it feels like they created a useless accessory.

I could go on about the streaming bit but in the end, I'm not happy with both services. Both Twitch and uStream are janky and unresponsive at times. It's all boiled down to what you want. You'll get an Xbox One if you also love TV, Movies, and entertainment in general. You'll get PS4 if you like that stuff but your sole purpose is gaming.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Friendly Lunatic

9,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
La Pieuvre Inanimee
The only reason why people are hating on Microsoft right now is because of the trash talk that Sony did at E3. In the end, you would feel that both of them would have gone in the same direction as what Microsoft is doing due to the fact that both of the rumors were being thrown around for both consoles for months to a year. Sony saw the reaction of gamers and quickly worked out a way to get more of the hype train building up.

Both companies actually ******** up a little bit because they didn't talk about much. Microsoft talked about using tablets for extra gameplay mechanics and while that sounds cool, I don't a tablet and that's a little expensive for an extra controller. Plus they mentioned Kinect very little so I'm wondering why they even have it. They went into detail about how much the Kinect improved but showed no gameplay what so ever to see how it works.

Sony ******** up too, so back down you bandwagoners. Sony came up and talked games and that was amazing. However they basically mentioned Vita very little and totally skipped over any usage of the Playstation Move and the new camera accessory that the PS4 will have seperate. Not only that but the cloud service that they will be working with won't be up until some time in 2014. The PS4 doesn't come with the camera. Had they seen how interested people were in a new Kinect, they would have bundled it and increased the price. However they didn't because it feels like they created a useless accessory.

I could go on about the streaming bit but in the end, I'm not happy with both services. Both Twitch and uStream are janky and unresponsive at times. It's all boiled down to what you want. You'll get an Xbox One if you also love TV, Movies, and entertainment in general. You'll get PS4 if you like that stuff but your sole purpose is gaming.

well said. i give. i forgot i was only getting it so i can stay in touch with my brothers. i let my anger get the best of me.
to you ps4 players i apologize. i hope you have fun with yours and i'll enjoy mine. i hope some day we can all get along. i'm sorry

who wants to change subject to what games we're excited for? i honestly can't wait for bf4. #@&* your building! imma drop that on yo a$$!
MarkM117

My brother isn't always online on my XB360... and I'm not much of an online gamer personally and the aforementioned 360 is mine. I might ask him to buy it off me and put the money to a PS4 since he keeps playing it instead of his Wii U.

Quote:
2. Sharing is caring
sharing is allowed

But allowing gamers to share gives developers free publicity and prompts people to think 'I had a lot of fun with these guys' previous games, I should buy the new one too'. It has been one of the things that made gaming shift from being the sign of being a dork and a loner to being normal. The same has gone for books and movies for a long time.

Quote:
3. DRM restrictions

You do realize that without their DRM, there would be nothing to stop someone buying a game, installing it and then selling the game on or giving it away while still keeping his or her installed copy, right? It's why they have install codes on pc games. but even that was cracked. now authentications and one code per customer has been implemented. They would lose serious money and go bankrupt otherwise. Sony has practically stated that they don't care if you pirate their games thus losing them mass amounts of money forcing them to go broke

Clearly someone is out of touch with the fact that developers are fighting piracy on a code level. Arkham City has a code that stops Batman's cape working properly, which will ultimately run the game to a stop, if the copy is a bootlegged one. I have no trouble with limiting downloaded copies of games, but a disc becoming useless is very wasteful on a resource level. They might as well make a monopoly for themselves and say you can only download the games from the Marketplace.

Pre-owned games may not make the developer money, but they are a good service because they encourage a form of recycling, which is better for the environment and resources. They also mean that instead of sitting in someone's shelf collecting dust, they have a chance to give the developer publicity the same way as borrowing a game off a friend does. This increases the market for gaming overall.

Quote:
4.Kinect privacy

I'm afraid that the fear of the world turning into something straight out of Orwell's 1984 are not new, enough said.

Quote:

But it is still optional to do so, unlike Live Golden. I should note that PS + was giving away free games monthly and exclusive discounts for ages now.

Quote:

My family's TV can connect to the Internet and use the same services without the need of an extra box. My family also hates redundancy.

Quote:
you all seem to be getting your panties in a twist over nothing. if you would think and do research you'd know these things. it seems though, that the education system has failed to teach you these skills. i blame your schools for lack of fund raisers to afford the books you would need to read and the money to pay teachers to give a crap about your education

I think you need to look at yourself on this one. I suggest you do a little more studying on marketing and how when your fanbase doesn't sound happy about a feature you drop it like a hot rock instead of recommending a soon to be obsolete console to people who, for whatever reason, don't always have access to the Internet.

Dapper Capitalist

3,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
MarkM117
La Pieuvre Inanimee

well said. i give. i forgot i was only getting it so i can stay in touch with my brothers. i let my anger get the best of me.
to you ps4 players i apologize. i hope you have fun with yours and i'll enjoy mine. i hope some day we can all get along. i'm sorry

who wants to change subject to what games we're excited for? i honestly can't wait for bf4. #@&* your building! imma drop that on yo a$$!

Oh you were fine, my friend. Your post really didn't seem like an attack like what many PS4 fanboys are doing, you were defending it with some facts that people are overlooking. It's going to be a while before people can accept it because Don Mattrick is a dumbass.

As for games, I have way too many that I'm interested in:

-The Order 1886
-Titanfall
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-DriveClub
-The Crew
-Watch_Dogs
-The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
-Rayman Legends
-Knack
-Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
-Destiny
-Mad Max
-Yoshi's New Island
-Outlast
-The Evil Within

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
There are some things people overlook. Not sure if they were covered at E3.

You do not need PS+ for all of Sony Playstation's games. You can move some games to your PS4 from other consoles ( through the Playstation Network). PS4 is going to have some new features, such as letting your friends take over your game to get you through difficult spots and allowing your friends to jump into some games you have that they do not own.

So Playstation has some new things, but noone feels like bringing them up. It's like " PS4 has crushed XboxOne enough, let's not get into extra things." Probably better off things stay that way. But here, on your thread, maybe you are interested in knowing a little bit about those things people are leaving out of the arguements and fanboy battles.

What I'd like to know is if Xbox uses PC games yet. I haven't been paying attention. That was one of the initial goals for Xbox that Microsoft had years ago. They wanted to give you an option to play some PC games on your television with your family instead of sitting at your little personal computer and it's bulky little monitor. So do you know if they ever managed that? Or did they abandon that completely?

Dapper Capitalist

3,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Sailor Tin Nyanko

You do not need PS+ for all of Sony Playstation's games. You can move some games to your PS4 from other consoles ( through the Playstation Network). PS4 is going to have some new features, such as letting your friends take over your game to get you through difficult spots and allowing your friends to jump into some games you have that they do not own.

So Playstation has some new things, but noone feels like bringing them up. It's like " PS4 has crushed XboxOne enough, let's not get into extra things." Probably better off things stay that way. But here, on your thread, maybe you are interested in knowing a little bit about those things people are leaving out of the arguements and fanboy battles.

What I'd like to know is if Xbox uses PC games yet. I haven't been paying attention. That was one of the initial goals for Xbox that Microsoft had years ago. They wanted to give you an option to play some PC games on your television with your family instead of sitting at your little personal computer and it's bulky little monitor. So do you know if they ever managed that? Or did they abandon that completely?

But the whole PS network thing involves with their Gaikai which won't launch until sometime in 2014. Also there are going to be people who don't want backseat gamers to help them because that removes the hardships and experience you have with the game.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
La Pieuvre Inanimee
Sailor Tin Nyanko

But the whole PS network thing involves with their Gaikai which won't launch until sometime in 2014. Also there are going to be people who don't want backseat gamers to help them because that removes the hardships and experience you have with the game.

I hear some games people are excited about won't even be out for 3 years. That's how these E3 go any more. I saw a game shown off at one that was supposed to have already come out and it still hasn't come out,.. that was like 3 years ago by now. Freaking rediculous! Anyways, things will be optional with Playstation. That is vital for some people. That is what people are flipping about right now. They want Xbox to have options. This is an optional feature, having or not having Backseat Drivers. Besides that you are supposed to set it to alert people you want help and then you are able to select who you will allow to try to help you. Atleast those were the details when they went over this... I can't even remember how long ago at this point.

Eloquent Streaker

La Pieuvre Inanimee
The only reason why people are hating on Microsoft right now is because of the trash talk that Sony did at E3.
Clearly, this explains the amount of s**t the console has received since it's unveiling back in late May.
Until My Heart Explodes
Kvatheo
Okay so I was a HUGE Nintendo fan up until the release of the Wii but I also loved to play the PS2 back in the day. I never had an Xbox 360 until about 2 1/2 years ago so I can't really speak to being a Microsoft fan-boy.

However, ever since getting the 360, I've bought a LOT of games and been a huge fan of Microsoft. I've also been really REALLY critical of the PS3 and PSVita due to lack of great game development and price point.

So from someone who's been distant from Sony for about 7 years now... I have to say that this week has changed everything. I'll be getting a PS4 for sure. At a lower price point, less restrictions, and huge opportunities for developers to move forward, Xbox will most likely lose a lot of that development that made the 360 a success.

And Sony's been capitalizing on Microsoft's weak showing so well that it almost makes me feel like their roles have totally reversed. It's pretty cool actually.

PLUS, Free Interwebz now!

Nope. PS+ is requirement for online play. However you get a ton of free games each month with it, so it really does pay for itself.

Hah. You're right. But its worth it.

Dapper Capitalist

3,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Requiem ex Inferni
La Pieuvre Inanimee
The only reason why people are hating on Microsoft right now is because of the trash talk that Sony did at E3.
Clearly, this explains the amount of s**t the console has received since it's unveiling back in late May.

The problem is back when the rumors started, it was discussed between people who read the articles and did research. Right now it's fanboys attacking Microsoft because of what they hear and how Sony handle them at E3. Is Microsoft good for what they have said? No, Don Mattrick is a sack of s**t. However in the end it'll be a console that has gaming and that's what people want. You either want a console that games and does much more entertainment as well or a console that does entertainment but focuses on gaming.

Either way, the PC still seems to perform better than both of them but I myself have in favor of PS4 because of my childhood.
I'm pretty sure a ton of European countries (most notably Germany) are telling Microsoft the "kinect watching you" thing is illegal in most non-corporation run states (as in country-states not US).

Spoopy Chomper

29,575 Points
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Marathon 300
Chaotic Rhythm
I'm pretty sure a ton of European countries (most notably Germany) are telling Microsoft the "kinect watching you" thing is illegal in most non-corporation run states (as in country-states not US).

It's also very unsettling that the kinect is built into the system and can't be removed, we have been facing tough times when it comes to our privacy, and I really don't want a system that tracks my facial expressions and voice.

If it was a separate thing that you could remove from your system, I might consider getting the system, but as of now I want no part of it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff