Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300

I know this story is old but how does everyone feel about this now that E3 is going on?

I think this is foolish. Alot of their sales comes from places like gamestop and a big part of Gamestops cash cow is their buyback and resale of used games.

Businesses like Gamefly will also be affected by this as well..

Idk i'm still trying to find more information on this.. Anyone care to enlighten me? please

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
Rumors and nothing but.

The only way PC developers get away with this kind of stuff is because PC's are Personal Computers. They aren't meant for more than a single user.

Doing this means:

1. You can't sell back the game
2. You can't return the game
3. You can't lend the game to a friend

Nobody would buy into that.

Witty Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I don't know, you'll be surprised what people will buy into.

I am an example of that.. I have an xbox and pay for the online when I could've gotten a ps3 instead w/ free online play plus I can use the ps3 as a web-browser.

I think there is a large market of gamers (mostly the kids that have their parents buy em games) that will still buy into it. Most kids don't think about reselling their games in order to buy a new game and most parents (that I know off) don't even know you can trade in old games lol

Kharras's Princess

Phantom

I wouldn't buy into that. I got a PS3 because the X-box's Online membership set up is just far too expensive. If it weren't for games like Gears of War I probably would have sold my X-box 360 a long time ago and switched all my games over to the PS3.

Half of what I do is buy used games--it's the only way I can offered most of the games I have. I wait months for games to drop down from 60$ to 30$ or less and scoop them up when they're low. I just can't afford a damn near 100$ game (some games are starting to go for 80$ with tax, if not more) every time something new comes out. It's ridiculous.

So I probably wouldn't buy something that I know takes away that sort of thing for me. It would just be far too costly. Not to mention I constantly let my friends borrow my stuff, and vice versa. Eh. Just, no ...

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
FurryTyrant

I am an example of that.. I have an xbox and pay for the online when I could've gotten a ps3 instead w/ free online play plus I can use the ps3 as a web-browser.

I think there is a large market of gamers (mostly the kids that have their parents buy em games) that will still buy into it. Most kids don't think about reselling their games in order to buy a new game and most parents (that I know off) don't even know you can trade in old games lol
You don't know how wrong you are.

I work at GameStop and a majority of our trade ins come from children between 7-14. Usually accompanied by their parents too.

And XBox Live vs PSN are very different. XBL has many more features and you get what you pay for.

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
Ember-babe
I wouldn't buy into that. I got a PS3 because the X-box's Online membership set up is just far too expensive. If it weren't for games like Gears of War I probably would have sold my X-box 360 a long time ago and switched all my games over to the PS3.

Half of what I do is buy used games--it's the only way I can offered most of the games I have. I wait months for games to drop down from 60$ to 30$ or less and scoop them up when they're low. I just can't afford a damn near 100$ game (some games are starting to go for 80$ with tax, if not more) every time something new comes out. It's ridiculous.

So I probably wouldn't buy something that I know takes away that sort of thing for me. It would just be far too costly. Not to mention I constantly let my friends borrow my stuff, and vice versa. Eh. Just, no ...
$100 per game?

Where do you live?

Kharras's Princess

Phantom

Pinkie Pyro
Ember-babe

$100 per game?

Where do you live?

I said near. 3nodding On average it's 60$ to 70$ per game without tax. A 74.99$ game is almost 80$ which is only 20$ short of 100, therefore being near. Altho, my friend from Brazil has to pay 80-90$ per game.

For the record, I live in Canada.
Ember-babe

I can relate to this.

At the same time I have to say that this is somewhat happening what with "One-Time Exclusive Codes" that are put into games (one example is the Cerberus Network code for ME2, or the Online Pass for BF3, as well as other exclusives like pre-order codes) I mean yeah sure you can spend $10 more to get it (referring to the online pass and cerberus code, not the exclusive content), but even at that I feel like that is ridiculous. You shouldn't have to pay extra for a feature that is integral to a game--regardless of whether that game is new or used. (once again mainly referring to the online pass concept.)

The concept you brought up here is like what I mentioned above, only taken to a higher extreme.

Do I think its ridiculous? Yes
Do I think some people will buy into it? Sadly, Yes. There will be a storm of controversy for the first few releases, and then a few issues after that, but eventually the gaming community will grow to live with it.

Although I really hope (And doubt) that will become a reality.
Pinkie Pyro
FurryTyrant

I work at GameStop and a majority of our trade ins come from children between 7-14. Usually accompanied by their parents too.

And XBox Live vs PSN are very different. XBL has many more features and you get what you pay for.
You work at gamestop, i have a question. If someone is buying a new game and you have the used in stock do you try to get them to buy the used?

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
FurryTyrant

You work at gamestop, i have a question. If someone is buying a new game and you have the used in stock do you try to get them to buy the used?
We do offer it to them for a few reasons.

1. Yes, it's 100% revenue for the store.
2. If they're unsure about the game, they can return it for their money back.
3. It's cheaper. Yes, only by a bit, but with discounts and coupons, that bit grows to a lot.
4. If they don't want to play online, the used can be cheaper since you don't have to pay for an online pass (certain titles apply).
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
FurryTyrant

3. It's cheaper. Yes, only by a bit, but with discounts and coupons, that bit grows to a lot.
4. If they don't want to play online, the used can be cheaper since you don't have to pay for an online pass (certain titles apply).
Ok but if i said no once would you continue to push me to get the used version?

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
FurryTyrant

Depending on how much you let me talk and let you know how much money you'd be saving.
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
FurryTyrant

Depending on how much you let me talk and let you know how much money you'd be saving.
Well once i had to tell the sales guy no 4 or 5 times that i didnt want the used version.

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God

Well once i had to tell the sales guy no 4 or 5 times that i didnt want the used version.
I'm a lot more laid back than others. I don't like pushing people. No means no, no matter what situation.

While their pushy-ness gets them better numbers and helps the store, I'd rather have a happy customer and a healthy relationship with the consumer base.
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God
Pinkie Pyro
legendary Golden God

I'm a lot more laid back than others. I don't like pushing people. No means no, no matter what situation.

While their pushy-ness gets them better numbers and helps the store, I'd rather have a happy customer and a healthy relationship with the consumer base.
Most the people that work at the gamestop i go to are way to pushy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff