Welcome to Gaia! ::

Am I really the only person here that thinks E3 was a letdown this year? Yeah they showed some good titles and whatnot but quite honestly there were no surprises at all. Nintendo announced the Wii U which sadly seems to be just another gimmicky console which makes me sad because I remember when Nintendo ruled the industry. Playstation Vita which at this point just seems like they are trying to cram as much into a handheld without any actual substance. I'll give both the benefit of the doubt though since both still have a ways to go till release. As for the games nothing new was announced that hasn't already been covered by gameinformer or G4 so the surprise factor was no where to be seen. As someone who grew up a gamer with the NES when graphics sucked but that meant all the time was spent building good stories and gameplay. I'm a little disappointed in the gaming industry. It just seems like they are getting lazy and are more about the flash and bang then gameplay and story anymore.

Maybe It's cause I'm 22 or maybe it's something else but I'm tired of playing games catering to 14 year old's obsession with blowing s**t up and I'm tired seeing them repackage the same game with a pretty new cover. I'll stop with that cause that is a totally different conversation but I can't be the only one that feels this way, am I?

Oh and by the way for those who think I'm just bitching for the sake of it. I own both a ps3 and 360 (used to own a Wii before it got stolen) and I am definitely looking forward to Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Bioshock Infinite and more. Just kinda felt like E3 let us down as gamers this year.

Newbie Noob

6,000 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
A little bit.
yea i guess they did not show much really , just a few new trailers to games whe already knew were coming ( did like the updated trailers for skyward sword do ) . only thing interesting was the via and U . i have to say the Wii U looked versatile as hell but it will all depend on what the software makers do whit the hardware as always , the hardware looked cool and possess infinite potential but i need to watch some actual software for the console , the WII U zelda demo looked great but not enough to satisfy mi curiosity and it just made mi more curious lol .
RAFAKUN MORRY
yea i guess they did not show much really , just a few new trailers to games whe already knew were coming ( did like the updated trailers for skyward sword do ) . only thing interesting was the via and U . i have to say the Wii U looked versatile as hell but it will all depend on what the software makers do whit the hardware as always , the hardware looked cool and possess infinite potential but i need to watch some actual software for the console , the WII U zelda demo looked great but not enough to satisfy mi curiosity and it just made mi more curious lol .

Well my biggest issues with the Wii U is one the reasoning behind why they created it. To paraphrase what they said they pretty much wanted something that was in HD that could compete with PS3 and the 360 because the Wii wasn't selling well anymore. Two because of their lame halfassed excuse at why it would not support DVD's or be media friendly as they said "We feel they have enough devices to play media on, we would rather not spend money on the patents" not word for word but close enough. Nintendo nowadays just feels too gimmicky first it was "The first ever motion controller!!!" then it was "First 3D gaming system you don't need glasses for and alt reality!!!" now it's "A tablet that you can use as a screen either instead of your tv or along with your TV but it's not portable and you can't watch movies on it".

At least it feels that Sony is trying to do something with Vita it just feels like they are trying to do too much with it.

5,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
A Moment Past No Return
RAFAKUN MORRY

Well my biggest issues with the Wii U is one the reasoning behind why they created it. To paraphrase what they said they pretty much wanted something that was in HD that could compete with PS3 and the 360 because the Wii wasn't selling well anymore. Two because of their lame halfassed excuse at why it would not support DVD's or be media friendly as they said "We feel they have enough devices to play media on, we would rather not spend money on the patents" not word for word but close enough. Nintendo nowadays just feels too gimmicky first it was "The first ever motion controller!!!" then it was "First 3D gaming system you don't need glasses for and alt reality!!!" now it's "A tablet that you can use as a screen either instead of your tv or along with your TV but it's not portable and you can't watch movies on it".

At least it feels that Sony is trying to do something with Vita it just feels like they are trying to do too much with it.

lol so your problem is 1 that they made it cause the wii is no longer selling ( which what do you expect every one and there grandmas already owns one ) and cause you are afraid that the console will sell only cause of its new feature rather then the software that will be made for it which its natural sense the wii is currently suffering over the large amount of shovel ware third party software makers over loaded on the console to make a quick buck ( in a sad case of the game selling cause its on the console rather then the console selling cause of the games in it ) personally i dont give a dame cause i actually google things before i buy them ( reason why im one of the feww who actually like there wiis) but i just hope this time around third party programers will actually support the console properly ( god i remember when the wii started and they tried to port games from the 360 and ps3 to the wii AS IS whit out making adjustments for compatibility like they do now like whit black ops and prince of persia which actually runs perfectly fine. )
RAFAKUN MORRY
A Moment Past No Return
RAFAKUN MORRY

lol so your problem is 1 that they made it cause the wii is no longer selling ( which what do you expect every one and there grandmas already owns one ) and cause you are afraid that the console will sell only cause of its new feature rather then the software that will be made for it which its natural sense the wii is currently suffering over the large amount of shovel ware third party software makers over loaded on the console to make a quick buck ( in a sad case of the game selling cause its on the console rather then the console selling cause of the games in it ) personally i dont give a dame cause i actually google things before i buy them ( reason why im one of the feww who actually like there wiis) but i just hope this time around third party programers will actually support the console properly ( god i remember when the wii started and they tried to port games from the 360 and ps3 to the wii AS IS whit out making adjustments for compatibility like they do now like whit black ops and prince of persia which actually runs perfectly fine. )

I think you mistook what I said. What I was saying is the reason I have an issue with them making the Wii U for the reason they did is because it seems like it was rushed. They didn't take time to plan things out for the future of developers. It seems like it was more of a 'get this system out in the open quickly so that people don't lose interest' which sometimes is okay to a point but this seemed a little too much. The Wii was fun for what it was but nothing for real gamers and the sad part is I usually used my Wii for the gamecube compatibility between the few good releases. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like they made it for the gamers or the developers, it feels more like they made it because they felt like they were losing money and that feels sloppy to me. That is my problem with it. I was gonna say something else but I don't remember what it was.

Romantic Cheerleader

19,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
Let down? Nope, because a crappy E3 is exactly what I expected. Like every year, it delivers just that to me. Son'y doesn't even care about my top three favorite game genres at all anymore, so I seriously never ever see E3 worth it.
A Moment Past No Return
RAFAKUN MORRY
A Moment Past No Return
RAFAKUN MORRY

I think you mistook what I said. What I was saying is the reason I have an issue with them making the Wii U for the reason they did is because it seems like it was rushed. They didn't take time to plan things out for the future of developers. It seems like it was more of a 'get this system out in the open quickly so that people don't lose interest' which sometimes is okay to a point but this seemed a little too much. The Wii was fun for what it was but nothing for real gamers and the sad part is I usually used my Wii for the gamecube compatibility between the few good releases. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like they made it for the gamers or the developers, it feels more like they made it because they felt like they were losing money and that feels sloppy to me. That is my problem with it. I was gonna say something else but I don't remember what it was.
plz dont go elitist on me cause i will stop taking you seriously . they made a console to play games , it has many good games some which are not casual at all . on the subject of the wiiu yea most people seem to be speculating that they are releasing it cause they are no longer making money of the wii and considering how they have sold to every one and there grandmas its hard to make sale but thats not the only factor for releasing the new console . there is the hole wiii is running in last gen spects , the wii needs to update to next gen spects to be able to continue competing whit the current gen consoles . now what they should worry about is what back up plans will they have for when sony and microsoft release next gen consoles to . btw you should relax lol why do hardware makers release hardware to sell it simple as that .
RAFAKUN MORRY
plz dont go elitist on me cause i will stop taking you seriously . they made a console to play games , it has many good games some which are not casual at all . on the subject of the wiiu yea most people seem to be speculating that they are releasing it cause they are no longer making money of the wii and considering how they have sold to every one and there grandmas its hard to make sale but thats not the only factor for releasing the new console . there is the hole wiii is running in last gen spects , the wii needs to update to next gen spects to be able to continue competing whit the current gen consoles . now what they should worry about is what back up plans will they have for when sony and microsoft release next gen consoles to . btw you should relax lol why do hardware makers release hardware to sell it simple as that .

No I'm telling you they have said in more than one interview that the reason they are releasing the Wii U is because they aren't selling Wii's anymore. That is straight out of the horses mouth. Not word for word but basically the same concept and they were saying that when they announced that it was just going to be called Nintendo. If you want proof look at the original gameinformer and G4 announcements.

And I mean come on let's be honest here. You are honestly willing to go out on a limb to defend the Wii. I never said it didn't have any good games but they were few and far between. I mean half the games were Hello Kitty and Carnival Games. I'm just saying compared the the other two systems game content on the Wii was scarce. Some of the games would have been better in my book if they hadn't try to make you buy a million different peripherals. I'm not pulling anything elitist I am telling you that compared to the golden age of Nintendo (I mean even up till the gamecube) was the leading company in the industry. Take what I say however you will but the Wii really dropped the ball when it came to the Wii. Oh and yeah It does have last gen specs but it was released as a current gen along with the PS3 and 360.

As for the whole hardware makers release to sell thing. That is true...however when I was younger the companies cared more about the gamer then they did now. You know why? Because before it was a multimillion dollar industry they had to earn our hard earned money, now they just expect us to buy it whether it sucks or not. That truth however can be attributed to most any company nowadays.

Oh and if you want to know why I am being so hard on Nintendo and not cutting them any slack is because they are veterans. It's not as if they are new to the industry, they were one of the companies that skyrocketed gaming to what it is today. I just expect more from a company that used to be unbeatable back in the day.
Minak0
Let down? Nope, because a crappy E3 is exactly what I expected. Like every year, it delivers just that to me. Son'y doesn't even care about my top three favorite game genres at all anymore, so I seriously never ever see E3 worth it.

I'm not sure what your favorite genres are. Mine are RPG's and Platforms and those aren't announced very often at E3 unless it's a Final Fantasy (which XIII disappointed me because it was nothing like an FF story gameplay or anything), or a Mario game. Or come from high profile developers like Bethesda with The Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

Romantic Cheerleader

19,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
A Moment Past No Return
Minak0

I'm not sure what your favorite genres are. Mine are RPG's and Platforms and those aren't announced very often at E3 unless it's a Final Fantasy (which XIII disappointed me because it was nothing like an FF story gameplay or anything), or a Mario game. Or come from high profile developers like Bethesda with The Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

JRPGs/Platformers/Visual Novels.

Only game shown at E3 this year of interest was Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny. I seriously don't care about anything else shown.

5,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
it wasn't a letdown, i thought nintendo had a great e3
Minak0
A Moment Past No Return
Minak0

JRPGs/Platformers/Visual Novels.

Only game shown at E3 this year of interest was Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny. I seriously don't care about anything else shown.

Well to be honest Visual Novels aren't really considered video games they are more on the side of anime. So it's understandable why they wouldn't showcase those. I do agree that the other two haven't had a lot of coverage at E3. JRPG's (or dungeon rpgs) originally were the only RPG's up until about the dreamcast save for a few exceptions. Now I do like rpg's such as Skyrim and whatnot but I miss the good ole' rpg's the likes which I grew up with.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff