Total Votes:[ 77 ]
1 2 3 >

~Kiri~Kunoichi~'s Significant Otter

Charming Glutton

54,375 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
This is just a thing I wondered since I realized what could have been.

I think I'd prefer to be a Whooligan more than a Whovian... though the latter isn't terrible or anything.

Charming Glutton

54,375 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Or Wholigan, but I think the pronunciation would be more confusing. XDa

Dangerous Glitch

Saffrons_Curse
This is just a thing I wondered since I realized what could have been.

I think I'd prefer to be a Whooligan more than a Whovian... though the latter isn't terrible or anything.

Daaamn. Whooligan sounds kind of amazing. The people who started the Whovian trend dun f*cked up.

Spoopy Sweetheart

27,475 Points
  • Simple Romantic 50
  • Sweetest Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
Both are used, but for some people Wholigan is considered derogatory because of the silly rivalry between the classic fans and fans of the new series. We try to avoid all that nonsense around here as best we can and just all be huge Doctor Who geeks, since a lot of us love both the classic and new stuff as it is. blaugh

Also, Wholigan can also refer to fans of The Who, so it avoids confusion in places where there might be large numbers of either type of fan. Maybe England. xp

Charming Glutton

54,375 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
I-Stole-the-TARDIS
Both are used, but for some people Wholigan is considered derogatory because of the silly rivalry between the classic fans and fans of the new series. We try to avoid all that nonsense around here as best we can and just all be huge Doctor Who geeks, since a lot of us love both the classic and new stuff as it is. blaugh

Also, Wholigan can also refer to fans of The Who, so it avoids confusion in places where there might be large numbers of either type of fan. Maybe England. xp

Oh I see~~ I didn't know both were used. C:! XD D-derogatory how? Like are the classic fans more -shakes cane- Damn whippersnappers basically? > w<!!!
[well, the term it comes from is derogatory, too. XDa ]
Avoiding nonsense is always the best course. 3nodding heart

Oooooooohhh~~ I never knew thatttt~ even though I know that band. o wo! I see I see~~~ That makes a lot of sense. 3nodding

Dangerous Survivor

4,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Survivor 150
Good point, since the Doctor himself does qualify as a hooligan, so I can see the play on words there.

Dangerous Survivor

4,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Survivor 150
Saffrons_Curse
I-Stole-the-TARDIS

Oh I see~~ I didn't know both were used. C:! XD D-derogatory how? Like are the classic fans more -shakes cane- Damn whippersnappers basically? > w<!!!
[well, the term it comes from is derogatory, too. XDa ]
Avoiding nonsense is always the best course. 3nodding heart

Oooooooohhh~~ I never knew thatttt~ even though I know that band. o wo! I see I see~~~ That makes a lot of sense. 3nodding

Mostly it's just a lot of stupidity at work. Some people of my generation seem to think that just because they've seen every episode from the Pilot til now makes them special or something. I started on Tom Baker and I got tired of the attitudes pretty fast. So these days, when I see that kind of behavior I'll let'em know where to shove it.

Lupine Cookie

48,750 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Ghost Hunter 250
  • The Committee Staff 25
Whooligan sounds better than Whovian, can't we just switch those definitions? stare

Feral Rogue

23,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
I figured whooligan would be the more aggressive part of our fan base that would sooner jump someone and rip their throat out then hear them even utter the phrase "I hate Doctor Who."

Charming Glutton

54,375 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Mists of the Dawn
Mostly it's just a lot of stupidity at work. Some people of my generation seem to think that just because they've seen every episode from the Pilot til now makes them special or something. I started on Tom Baker and I got tired of the attitudes pretty fast. So these days, when I see that kind of behavior I'll let'em know where to shove it.
I see I see. xD
Well, since some of the episodes have been lost, there is a certain degree of specialness I could understand... but not enough to exert some illusory sense of superiority lol. XD

Those kinda of attitudes exist everywhere; elitists permeate the whole of humanity haha. xD
I only started watching about mmm a year or so ago, watching New Who, though I have seen the movie with theeeee 8th [I believe it was]. I haven't seen much of anything before that though, outside of the documentary things BBC America's done. xP!
I usually like to take elitists down a peg or two myself hahaha

CookiesWolf
Whooligan sounds better than Whovian, can't we just switch those definitions? stare

Haha, well, Whovian has the history behind it, I don't see why it'd make a lot of sense to just suddenly change it... I just think it was a bit of a missed opportunity. x'Da

Twisted Time Lord
I figured whooligan would be the more aggressive part of our fan base that would sooner jump someone and rip their throat out then hear them even utter the phrase "I hate Doctor Who."

Hmmmm~ the rabid ones.. I could see that.
However, I don't think that supposition existed when they were coming up with the names, did it? :Ua

Feral Rogue

23,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Saffrons_Curse

Twisted Time Lord

However, I don't think that supposition existed when they were coming up with the names, did it? :Ua

I've heard the word Whooligan mentioned before over the last 2 years but then again I don't really pay attention to names to describe the fan base so it could have been a thing for longer then that who knows?

Charming Glutton

54,375 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Twisted Time Lord
Saffrons_Curse

Twisted Time Lord

I've heard the word Whooligan mentioned before over the last 2 years but then again I don't really pay attention to names to describe the fan base so it could have been a thing for longer then that who knows?
Ooooh really? o wo!
-nod nod- That's true. Hm I wonder if Whovian and Whooligan have been things since the beginning, but Whovian just was always more popular or something. o wo
I don't pay much attention either, I'm just curious about it~~ > w<

Feral Rogue

23,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Saffrons_Curse
Twisted Time Lord
Saffrons_Curse

Twisted Time Lord

Ooooh really? o wo!
-nod nod- That's true. Hm I wonder if Whovian and Whooligan have been things since the beginning, but Whovian just was always more popular or something. o wo
I don't pay much attention either, I'm just curious about it~~ > w<

I think they probably were both a thing but whovian caught on faster for whatever reason be it luck or just that people subconsciously like the sound of whovian better then whooligan since whooligan literally sounds like but is spelled differently then the actual word hooligan.

Lupine Cookie

48,750 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Ghost Hunter 250
  • The Committee Staff 25
Saffrons_Curse

CookiesWolf

Haha, well, Whovian has the history behind it, I don't see why it'd make a lot of sense to just suddenly change it... I just think it was a bit of a missed opportunity. x'Da

Yup, I know :3 Probably a missed opportunity. It's a bit of a shame that the word which is a bit pejorative is also the one that sounds the coolest emo

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff