Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Who is your favorite companion in New Who?

Rose Tyler 0.2952380952381 29.5% [ 31 ]
Martha Jones 0.038095238095238 3.8% [ 4 ]
Donna Noble 0.25714285714286 25.7% [ 27 ]
Amelia Pond 0.13333333333333 13.3% [ 14 ]
Rory Williams 0.038095238095238 3.8% [ 4 ]
Clara Oswald 0.076190476190476 7.6% [ 8 ]
Jack Harness 0.076190476190476 7.6% [ 8 ]
River Song 0.085714285714286 8.6% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 105 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

Devoted Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
i really love Rose, but i notice that a LOT of people despise her. i don't understand why that is, so could somebody who is of that opinion please give me some input?

i'm looking for justified hate, not just "OMG, SHE'S SO ANNOYING."

also, this is against ROSE i'm asking about, not Billie Piper. please don't ever hate on an actor for a character they play or vice versa.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
I disliked how petty she could be about the Doctor -- she often acted like she was the only companion of his, and when she found out there were more, she acted like she was the only one who mattered. Don't get me wrong, there were definitely things that I liked about Rose, but she was never my favorite.

Dangerous Loiterer

Here I go, then.

1) Rose is a Mary Sue.
Yes, all companions have been somewhat bland. But, for me, Rose takes it to a new level because of the romance aspect she was specifically written for: as a character, she was bland and entirely intended to be a vehicle for teenage girls of the fandom to wank to (because, for some reason, the BBC believe nobody with a v****a can enjoy science-fiction unless there's some snogging because they completely lack empathy towards anybody who isn't them).

There's nothing to Rose that makes her any more interesting than any of the other companions; so what made the Doctor suddenly break his appearance of being completely asexual and choose a chavvy human teenager he'd known for all of a few weeks over somebody like Romana, who was not only the same species as the Doctor but was nearly equal and earned friendship through intelligence?

And then you've got the whole 'Bad Wolf' bollocks. Don't get me ******** started on that.

2) Rose is the source of the unnecessary and stilted romance in the series today.
Doctor Who survived for more than 40 years without romance even being a significant point; why add it now unless you know your character is so bland that she can't survive with modern audiences unless she becomes an empty vassal for wish fulfillment? She had no interesting personality and was extremely poorly written as a vapid stereotype of a council-house girl.

Donna garnered popularity based on her personality and friendship with the Doctor, showing that romance isn't necessary. Rose, however, seemed to be entirely based on romance and her popularity seems mostly based on this.

3) Rose was selfish and arrogant after Series 1.
As a result of the romance, Rose developed a really annoying and clingy attachment to the Doctor that left her with the impression that she owned somebody infinitely older and wiser than her. To Rose, the idea that the Doctor had a life and friends before her is unthinkable, resulting in her being an utter c**t towards former companions like Sarah Jane, who had not only done more with the Doctor in her time of travelling, but had also travelled with him for far longer.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other companions who had this much of a problem comprehending that they weren't special (perhaps with the exception of Martha, but she was a victim of the Doctor's bizarre infatuation with Roseykins and mostly just had a distaste for the way the Doctor fantasised about her non-stop) seeing as most of them had had a period of transition where they met the previous companions and were phased in (but Special Snowflake Rose didn't because she had the Doctor all to herself because truwuvbadwolfdoomsdaysofeels).

4) Rose became so obsessed with the Doctor that she felt no compassion for other people.
Of course, I've mentioned Sarah Jane, but I think the way Rose treated Mickey and her mum was atrocious. It seemed that she assumed everybody cared that she loved the Doctor so much that she could say or do anything and treat people like dirt in favour of a man she knew next to nothing about.

Sparkly Lunatic

14,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Object of Affection 150
I think she's okay... I liked her okay, but I didn't like how she treated Micky... I liked her more in the first season (series) with the 9th doctor though.

Romantic Senshi

12,425 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
Just love Rose. =x

Romantic Senshi

11,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
Although she's not my favourite, I love her. heart

Plinti's Husband

Distinct Seeker

11,575 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
I love Rose Tyler. ^^

Lonely Lover

18,625 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Budding Witch 250
I can understand some of the hate
But I don't understand it being legitimate full-on "if she were real I'd beat her a**, how dare anyone find her tolerable" utter HATRED people have.
So what if she wasn't the textbook definition of a perfectly rounded character?
And it's not the character's fault the romance element was added!
I thought she was a great, very human character, and thought that her being so average is something that needs to return to the show. I dislike how every companion since has been some kind of puzzle to solve, some interplanetary marvel. Donna being "The Most Important" whatever, Clara the "Impossible Girl", Amy and Rory's craziness, River existing at all--It's all so overboard, shock-tactic, like some scene out of a bad play. I love the characters and all, but their story-arks and everything have been utterly nonsensical. At least with Rose, only her ending was her fault.
Rose was just some girl who worked in a shop, and then found the Doctor, and they flew away.

Eloquent Genius

8,525 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I've heard people say that companions now a days are stock characters meant to serve as a vapid shell for the viewer to step into, and how, the old companions were historians and s**t.

Here's my problem with that though:

1) No, that's what Bella Swan is, she is not. She does have a personality and a trait. Goes through emotions and thinks for herself.

2) Yeah, historians, which is great so long as you're going backwards in earth's history.

3) Any Doctor Who fan fantasies about what it'd be like to travel anywhere and any-when in all of existence. It's a titillating concept, infact I've heard that often they choose companions because they technically already experienced everything, so it's a fresh perspective for them. So to say they're the first is highly unfair.

4) Yeah, she was kind of a selfish b***h, especially when it came to the Doctor, but to me, it never crossed the line for me to despise her, just how far she'd go to keep his attention.

Dapper Citizen

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I think that Rose Tyler was an important part of the Doctor moving forward after the Time War. Mind you, he thought Gallifrey was gone completely (as we all did until the 50th). He began to overcome his guilt and pain while remembering just why he loved human beings to begin with. Rose had her flaws but that's why the Doctor needed her. He needed that companion who'd keep his sense of wonder alive while he was moving on with his life.

I think most people hate Rose because its the first time the Doctor truly showed romantic love with a human being. The 8th technically did but not on that level. I think people hate the idea of the Doctor being romantically involved with a human because it removes pieces of who he is.
Paragon of Virtue

I think most people hate Rose because its the first time the Doctor truly showed romantic love with a human being. The 8th technically did but not on that level. I think people hate the idea of the Doctor being romantically involved with a human because it removes pieces of who he is.

3nodding

I really dislike the idea of this 1000 year old guy hooking up with the kiddies he enjoys sharing the mysteries of the universe and time with. I really think she should have done the same with her that he did with Amy. Say "no thanks, let's just be friends". The Doctor should not be a sexual creature with Earthlings.

Chloride's Husband

Beloved Elder

It's not that I hate Rose. I just sort of dislike her. Kind of like I wouldn't want to be her friend if we knew each other.
I mean. I love her character and what she does. But we wouldn't be friends. I get how strange that sounds. xd

Dangerous Loiterer

Emmitt
Paragon of Virtue

3nodding

I really dislike the idea of this 1000 year old guy hooking up with the kiddies he enjoys sharing the mysteries of the universe and time with. I really think she should have done the same with her that he did with Amy. Say "no thanks, let's just be friends". The Doctor should not be a sexual creature with Earthlings.
Exactly. Even Romana, who was in her 200s, considered the Doctor 'old'. It's weird that he'd go for a human who's even young by her own species's terms, never mind being of school age for Time Lords.

Extragalactic Cosmonaut

I didn't like how she treated people. Everyone was a rival to her. It's like the doctor was "her's" and nobody else.
She was also crap to Mickey and I didn't appreciate how overexposed she was.
It's like as soon as she is gone she's appearing in another episode.

Lonely Lover

18,625 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Budding Witch 250
Emmitt
Paragon of Virtue

3nodding

Romantic =/= Sexual. Just putting this here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff