Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ice-Cold Lunatic

6,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Time to dive into the underbelly of Time Lord history.
The Master, you don't see many people talk about his past.
His number of incarnations are 33% fewer than that of The Doctor.
Why? What does he do when he's not trying to destroy The Doctor
and Earth? Does he have his own little adventures that lead to the
destruction of those he encounters?
Imagine a spin-off of Doctor Who focusing on the travels of
The Master and his companions/hostages.

Roger Delgado (1st Master)
Peter Pratt (2nd Master)
Geoffrey Beevers (3rd Master)
Anthony Ainley (4th Master)
Eric Roberts (5th Master)
Derek Jacobi (6th Master)
John Simm (7th Master)
Michelle Gomez (8th Master)

Probably the most known of them would be John Simm
for those who started the series recently.But who is your
favorite Master? For me, it's between Roger Delgado for
both The Master's and The Doctor's TARDIS's being inside
each other and John Simm for the crazy, hyper, paranoid
aspect he brings to the role of The Master.

Spoopy Sweetheart

27,475 Points
  • Simple Romantic 50
  • Sweetest Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
I haven't gotten as far into the classic series as I would like, so the only Master I've had the pleasure of experiencing besides Simm and Gomez is Delgado, and I love me some Roger Delgado. He just had such a style about him. Simm was a bit too far gone and over the top. That may be reminiscent of some of the Masters I haven't seen? I like the reserved Master better. But I have to give major credit to Michelle Gomez. She seems to have found the perfect blend of the polite and reserved Delgado AND the bat s**t insane Simm. I hope we see more of her. And I hope it won't be too long before I can have an opinion about the other Masters. wink

Unbeatable Gekko

9,825 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
John Simms for me, I first started watching Dr Who with Christopher Eccleson and as far as I know, the Master didn't appear in that season at all. Michelle Gomez was an utter failure as the Master recently, she should just stick to BBC3 comedy's!
Animefan6-6-06
Time to dive into the underbelly of Time Lord history.
The Master, you don't see many people talk about his past.
His number of incarnations are 33% fewer than that of The Doctor.
Why? What does he do when he's not trying to destroy The Doctor
and Earth? Does he have his own little adventures that lead to the
destruction of those he encounters?
Imagine a spin-off of Doctor Who focusing on the travels of
The Master and his companions/hostages.

Roger Delgado (1st Master)
Peter Pratt (2nd Master)
Geoffrey Beevers (3rd Master)
Anthony Ainley (4th Master)
Eric Roberts (5th Master)
Derek Jacobi (6th Master)
John Simm (7th Master)
Michelle Gomez (8th Master)

Probably the most known of them would be John Simm
for those who started the series recently.But who is your
favorite Master? For me, it's between Roger Delgado for
both The Master's and The Doctor's TARDIS's being inside
each other and John Simm for the crazy, hyper, paranoid
aspect he brings to the role of The Master.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Master is already on his second round of regenerations. In the Doctor Who Movie, the Master had died, and his remains were being taken back to Gallifrey when he snuck out and stole a human body and tried to steal the Doctor's body/regenerations. Then, when the Doctor found Professor Yana, we learned that the Timelords had resurrected the Master to fight in the Time War, but he ran away and hid himself at the end of the universe. So the Master has actually already used up his previous 13 lives (ending with Roberts). Now he's had three more - Jacobi, Simm, and Gomez.

Ice-Cold Lunatic

6,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
I gotta give props to Michelle Gomez though. How lucky do you have to be, to be the one that creates undead cybermen? I called it three weeks before that particular episode just hoping they'd do it. I wasn't expecting The Master to come back, as a woman no less.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I've only seen..I think it's John Simm during the time of the Tenth Doctor. His crazy/off-kilter style really got me interested. He was a good foil to The Doctor.
The 20-Pound Cherry

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Master is already on his second round of regenerations. In the Doctor Who Movie, the Master had died, and his remains were being taken back to Gallifrey when he snuck out and stole a human body and tried to steal the Doctor's body/regenerations. Then, when the Doctor found Professor Yana, we learned that the Timelords had resurrected the Master to fight in the Time War, but he ran away and hid himself at the end of the universe. So the Master has actually already used up his previous 13 lives (ending with Roberts). Now he's had three more - Jacobi, Simm, and Gomez.

We don't know what number incarnation the Delgado Master was, but the Master used up all his original set of regenerations when the Doctor was only in his fourth incarnation. But he refused to let himself die, hence why the Pratt and Beevers Masters look so corpse-like. It's also why he tried to steal the Doctor's regenerations; when that failed, he killed Nyssa's* father and used his body to renew himself, remaining in that "incarnation" until the Classic Series ended in 1989. We don't see what he looked like when the Daleks executed him at the beginning of the TV Movie, so he may or may not have still been the Ainley Master. But we do know that body was destroyed, so he stole another, that of a human paramedic.

Anyway, the Gomez Master (or should that be the Gomez Mistress?) is at least the third incarnation in his/her new regeneration cycle. Add together the Master's first thirteen incarnations and the two bodies he's known to have stolen and there have been at least eighteen Masters.

*A companion from the early Eighties. She was the penultimate companion to be introduced during the Tom Baker era.

Blessed Survivor

6,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Besides John Simm's Master and Michelle Gomez' Mistress, I've seen the Ainley!Master in action.
Clare_N
The 20-Pound Cherry

We don't know what number incarnation the Delgado Master was, but the Master used up all his original set of regenerations when the Doctor was only in his fourth incarnation. But he refused to let himself die, hence why the Pratt and Beevers Masters look so corpse-like. It's also why he tried to steal the Doctor's regenerations; when that failed, he killed Nyssa's* father and used his body to renew himself, remaining in that "incarnation" until the Classic Series ended in 1989. We don't see what he looked like when the Daleks executed him at the beginning of the TV Movie, so he may or may not have still been the Ainley Master. But we do know that body was destroyed, so he stole another, that of a human paramedic.

Anyway, the Gomez Master (or should that be the Gomez Mistress?) is at least the third incarnation in his/her new regeneration cycle. Add together the Master's first thirteen incarnations and the two bodies he's known to have stolen and there have been at least eighteen Masters.

*A companion from the early Eighties. She was the penultimate companion to be introduced during the Tom Baker era.

Thanks for elaborating and explaining more of the history of the Master. smile

Also, your avatar is SUPER CUTE!
Aside from a handful of clips from Classic Who, I've only seen Eric Roberts through to Michelle Gomez in action as the Mastress. (<--totally typed that on accident but gonna use it now.) Roberts did okay, Jacobi wasn't really the Master, even if he was one of the incarnations he was more of a hero-type character until he got his memories back. Simm was far too over-the-top for me and I did not like him. Gomez, on the other hand, I freaking love.

Nimble Giver

You mean Formerly The Master; I thought it was The Mistress now. lol

Ice-Cold Lunatic

6,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
It's more of a general term. I prefer to keep it simple so I don't have to do things like him/her, he/she etc. every time I refer to The Master. otherwise, whenever I make long posts with several mentioning of The Master it just looks weird and unnecessarily long.

Space Werewolf

Eh, I'm still calling her the Master; "Missy" only to specify the Master during the Series 8 story arc. She may have dropped the alias by next time; we'll see.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff