Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just finished the 1996 movie, and it left me wondering two things, well, actually, three things.

1. Why is Eight half-human? I thought the Doctor was a full Time Lord?

2. Why is Eight considered an "official" Doctor when several other acts who have played him, like Peter Cushing, are not?

3. When does the Time War take place, since Gallifrey is alive and well in the movie?

Interesting Friend

4,650 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
I just finished the 1996 movie, and it left me wondering two things, well, actually, three things.

2. Why is Eight considered an "official" Doctor when several other acts who have played him, like Peter Cushing, are not?

3. When does the Time War take place, since Gallifrey is alive and well in the movie?

1. It's Doctor it never makes sense
2.his film continues the story of him plus there's loads of novels and audio book adventures based on his adventures whereas there isn't any of Cushion (as Hartnell is considered the real first Doctor
3. Gallifrey is in a different time zone to the rest of the universe if thats my understanding of it

Karasunosaki's Prince

Feline Friend

17,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
x0_FATIMAGIC

1. Out-of-universe answer: Because Fox are idiots and thought Spock was the coolest thing ever.
In-universe answer: Because Eight is a fountain of BS, if you're going by the comics. No, really.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

2. Because the Peter Cushing Doctor probably wasn't intended to be canonical in the first place. He was a human inventor who made a time machine, if memory serves, so there really doesn't seem to be a way to reconcile him with the Doctor Who "canon"...

...although note that canon is in quotation marks. The Doctor Who canon policy essentially boils down to "whatever you feel like believing, it's a time travel show". If you don't like Eight, you can ignore his adventures if you want--although the show does seem to be pretty certain there was an Eighth Doctor and he did look sort of like Paul McGann (as glimpsed in The Next Doctor, The Eleventh Hour).

3. After all the media starring Eight, it seems. I don't think any mention of the Last Great Time War is made in either the books or the audios.
scherzofrog
x0_FATIMAGIC

1. Out-of-universe answer: Because Fox are idiots and thought Spock was the coolest thing ever.
In-universe answer: Because Eight is a fountain of BS, if you're going by the comics. No, really.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

2. Because the Peter Cushing Doctor probably wasn't intended to be canonical in the first place. He was a human inventor who made a time machine, if memory serves, so there really doesn't seem to be a way to reconcile him with the Doctor Who "canon"...

...although note that canon is in quotation marks. The Doctor Who canon policy essentially boils down to "whatever you feel like believing, it's a time travel show". If you don't like Eight, you can ignore his adventures if you want--although the show does seem to be pretty certain there was an Eighth Doctor and he did look sort of like Paul McGann (as glimpsed in The Next Doctor, The Eleventh Hour).

3. After all the media starring Eight, it seems. I don't think any mention of the Last Great Time War is made in either the books or the audios.

Gotcha. Thanks. I figured that half-human thing was complete bullshit. I do like Eight, though, and since he continues the story, I do consider him canon.

Rainbow Codger

To the Sea! To the Sea!

I don't think I'd like the idea of a Half-Human Doctor. It kinda kills the magic a bit for me. I've always assumed that Eight was the one that participated in the war, and regenerated into Nine as we know him. (In my opinion, he's very raw and emotional about the subject, and heck, it even carried over into Ten, a bit.)

As far as McGann officially being Eight, I always figured that it was because of the prior Doctor actually regenerating into him. (I believe I'm correct anyways.) On a side note, I got the anniversary edition of that movie for super cheap when Borders went under. My first non 9-10-11 Doctor!

The white gulls are crying...User Image
Rivers Husband

3. Gallifrey is in a different time zone to the rest of the universe if thats my understanding of it

I want to say that in one of the newer episodes, the actually said there was some kind of time lock on the entire war, whcih was meant to keep the Daleks trapped fighting the Time Lords. But we all saw how that turned out. And then there was the incident in which Tennant left the show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff