Welcome to Gaia! ::

can someone please explain to me what Doctor Who is?
i have never watched the show. i just would like to get an understanding of it.
from what ive heard it is about time travel. neutral

Party Member

User Image

it's a fifty year old british scifi show, with a massive and devoted fanbase.
it's about an alien with a big blue box, that's his time machine (it also travels in space)
and it's bigger on the inside (wibbly wobbly)
his name is just the Doctor. not Dr. Who, the Doctor. when he dies, his body enacts a process called regeneration (he has a limit of 12) and he changes his face/body, and small facets of his personality.
he collects a lot of friends from earth (mostly)'s future and past, they're called his companions, one of which is a metal dog called K-9 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

he encounters a lot of danger everywhere he goes (they don't show us the boring stories where he doesn't encounter danger, but they can happen). time is in flux, so there's always an element of suspense- time can be rewritten.

from 1989 to 2005 the show was finished. there were small attempts to bring it back, an american movie in 96, and a cartoon called Scream of the Shalka in 03 (the latter is not considered canon by the majority of fans)
pre-89 we call the show Classic Who. post 2005 is NuWho. the movie is just the movie smile

Pchooo's Husbando

High-functioning Lunatic

Charismatic alien (The Doctor) flies around in his police box time machine (The TARDIS) saving the day throughout time and space. Likes to bring along companions if they seem clever enough for the ride.

Whenever The Doctor is fatally wounded (the actor leaves the show), he regenerates into a new incarnation as a way of cheating death (lets new actors replace the role of The Doctor without causing a disconnect). Hence why there have been 13 Doctors so far and counting.

That's really just about all there is to know.
Kinny Fear
User Image

it's a fifty year old british scifi show, with a massive and devoted fanbase.
it's about an alien with a big blue box, that's his time machine (it also travels in space)
and it's bigger on the inside (wibbly wobbly)
his name is just the Doctor. not Dr. Who, the Doctor. when he dies, his body enacts a process called regeneration (he has a limit of 12) and he changes his face/body, and small facets of his personality.
he collects a lot of friends from earth (mostly)'s future and past, they're called his companions, one of which is a metal dog called K-9 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

he encounters a lot of danger everywhere he goes (they don't show us the boring stories where he doesn't encounter danger, but they can happen). time is in flux, so there's always an element of suspense- time can be rewritten.

from 1989 to 2005 the show was finished. there were small attempts to bring it back, an american movie in 96, and a cartoon called Scream of the Shalka in 03 (the latter is not considered canon by the majority of fans)
pre-89 we call the show Classic Who. post 2005 is NuWho. the movie is just the movie :

I agree with just about everything you said except "the movie is just the movie". . .Initially the movie was just a movie, but in the Lead up to "The Day of the Doctor", it is now considered an integral part of the Doctor's story as it includes the 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and Paul McGann who is considered the 8th Doctor. . .the mini episode "The Night of the Doctor" starred McGann and led to the War Doctor.

Party Member

Kizu-Ato
I agree with just about everything you said except "the movie is just the movie". . .Initially the movie was just a movie, but in the Lead up to "The Day of the Doctor", it is now considered an integral part of the Doctor's story as it includes the 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and Paul McGann who is considered the 8th Doctor. . .the mini episode "The Night of the Doctor" starred McGann and led to the War Doctor.
User Image

yes i know that
i didn't say it was just a movie. i said there's classic who and nuwho, and where does the movie fall? in between. it's The Movie.

alien who looks like a human travels through time and/or space with or without normal human beings to fight evil aliens and save the universe from IMPENDING DOOM!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff