Welcome to Gaia! ::

Besides me? sweatdrop

I bloody love her, and since I've already created a thread addressing reasons behind possible River hate, I'd like to know how many of you guys like her.

I'm also curious as to whether or not her storyline is complete.

Dapper Millionaire

She'll probably be around until the Doctor gives her his screwdriver and she goes to her "death" neutral (not a fan of hers, sorry sweatdrop )

Friendly Bard

7,275 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
I like River (though I'm glad my first episode with her was Silence in the Library. She'd have
been kinda over the top for me if I'd only ever known her from Let's Kill Hitler). Don't think I could
ever hate her though. And besides, with her around the Doctor isn't alone in the universe so
that's reason enough for me to appreciate her.

Sparkly Lunatic

I absolutely love River Song. She's quirky, tough, fun and a gazillion other things. And her story is very unique as compared to other companions. Although it got way too wibbly-wobbly in the sixth season. I don't know why a majority of people hate her.

Karasunosaki's Prince

Feline Friend

17,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
Yes. Yes she has. She has got blatant Mary Sue traits out the a**, but she is amazing nonetheless (and anyways Tropes Are Not Bad). I love her to pieces. :3

Durem Lover

I'm a fan I love her character too,
I think something went wrong with it a bit (but its not her fault).
I also think she's beautiful e_e

10,500 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Popular Thread 100
I'm fairly ambivalent to her. She's a fine character and she plays well off the Eleventh Doctor but I think there were a few too many stories that had her as the focus a little too much. I can understand why people don't like her given that's she's endlessly confident, arguably smarter than the Doctor (a complaint also levied at Rose from time to time, who is disliked for similar reasons) and gets way too much attention compared to the main character. That said she's appeared in some of the best episodes of the show...now I've confused myself.

Newbie Explorer

I'm not much of a River fan but I just had a thought. Since she technically "died" in the Library, I hope we get to see a 10th Doctor flashback!

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Consumer 100
Yeah River Song has a fan. She may have been mysterious but she is great.

Interesting Friend

4,650 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
i liked her only wen we saw her in the angel episodes, i found in the library she knew too much about the doctor but i now love her
scherzofrog
Yes. Yes she has. She has got blatant Mary Sue traits out the a**, but she is amazing nonetheless (and anyways Tropes Are Not Bad). I love her to pieces. :3

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Mary Sue" qualities. I would hardly say being in love with the Doctor qualifies River for Mary Sue-hood.

The thing is, I just watched "Doomsday" today, and I must say, though I still dislike Rose, the end of that episode made me empathize with her a bit more. I don't fault Rose for falling for the Doctor, because honestly, who wouldn't. The major reason why I don't like Rose, however, is that he priorities are ******** up.

I can't stand people who say that they hate Martha because she fell for him, yet they love Rose. The truth of the matter is that Martha moved on, and led a strong individual life, while Rose chose the Doctor over her own FAMILY. She can't keep a distance between her own life, and the adventures she shared with the Doctor.

River, on the other hand, summoned up enough strength to kill the man she loved in order to fulfill a duty to the universe to restart time. In that respect, River shows bravery and strength beyond that of a Mary Sue.

Karasunosaki's Prince

Feline Friend

17,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
x0_FATIMAGIC
scherzofrog

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Mary Sue" qualities. I would hardly say being in love with the Doctor qualifies River for Mary Sue-hood.

The thing is, I just watched "Doomsday" today, and I must say, though I still dislike Rose, the end of that episode made me empathize with her a bit more. I don't fault Rose for falling for the Doctor, because honestly, who wouldn't. The major reason why I don't like Rose, however, is that he priorities are ******** up.

I can't stand people who say that they hate Martha because she fell for him, yet they love Rose. The truth of the matter is that Martha moved on, and led a strong individual life, while Rose chose the Doctor over her own FAMILY. She can't keep a distance between her own life, and the adventures she shared with the Doctor.

River, on the other hand, summoned up enough strength to kill the man she loved in order to fulfill a duty to the universe to restart time. In that respect, River shows bravery and strength beyond that of a Mary Sue.

I know. But that's why I like her.

You'll notice that I didn't go and call her a Mary Sue. True, she's the Other Last of the Time Lords, she makes a Dalek beg for mercy, she gets into the Doctor's pants--all of which are Mary Sue warnings, I'm not just talking about the last one (and besides, it seems everyone's getting into the Doctor's pants these days). The point I'm trying to make, though, is that while she's got all these clichéd, idealized traits playing against her, she's written and played in such a way that she rises above it to become, well, River Song.

Tropes are not bad, like I said. It's entirely possible to have an over-idealized character in a work of fiction, one who fails every single Sue test she comes across--and then have her not come off as a Mary Sue at all. That's a testament to the skills of both the writer and the actor.

Dapper Dabbler

I love River Song.
I love her storyline.
I use to be a fan of hers, but she's overplayed for me, sorry. sweatdrop

Am I the only one that thinks she's just a female version of Jack Harkness?

The Doctor should marry Jack Harkness instead.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff