Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Streaker

Less affected by feels, more affected by
HOLY ******** s**t THE ******** STATUE OF LIBERTY IS A WEEPING ANGEL.

Though I really shouldn't be surprised, since it was kinda implied in "Blink".

Blessed Hunter

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
User Image
Requiem in Mortis
Less affected by feels, more affected by
HOLY ******** s**t THE ******** STATUE OF LIBERTY IS A WEEPING ANGEL.

Though I really shouldn't be surprised, since it was kinda implied in "Blink".

I feel only more relatively safe since i'm in Britain, but i feel for those living in Manhattan.
User Image

Blessed Hunter

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
User Image
Darling Lady
Basically this episode has just wrecked me
like gross sobbing is an understatement
more like and you cry and your tears are also crying until finally you're drowning in an ocean of sad and 'wow ******** everything i am going to ruin myself and everything around me right now until its all as dead as i feel inside'
that's somewhere on the right track to what's going on with me right now.

then again not only was I already pretty terrified of the Angels, but there's also like sentimental value IRL involved with Amy and Eleven and these past 3 series. Sigh.

I know, i never found the Angels that terrifying really, but the concept of what they could do, effectively time-locking his best friends/parents, to him must have been another kind of Gallifrey. We have to be grateful in a way though, Moffat let them lead full lives, memories intact, and the Doctor won't get yet another chance to kill them on one of his nutty adventures.
But still.
User ImageUser Image

Blessed Hunter

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
User Image
Salmay
The Doctor is a jerk

How so?
User Image

Blessed Hunter

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
User Image
yaminakathy the 2nd
* wipes away buggery nose and mesy eyes* I don't even know of a gif that can even beging to explain how sad and messed up that ending was

I've been trying bu nothing quite cuts it yet.
User Image

Dapper Browser

I thought "The Angels Take Manhattan" was magnificent. It's my favorite Doctor Who episode so far. I really loved it. I loved how sweetly and cleverly they handled the Ponds' departure. I mean, it was graceful, it was fantastic writing, and I loved the bookends. The last shot of Amelia Pond, waiting for the Doctor, and you hear the TARDIS...

That's so amazing.

Fashionable Bloodsucker

8,100 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Team Edward 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Honestly I had tears crying

It was a beautifully executed episode,
as fer Lady liberty I saw that coming & my friends and I had even joked about it int he past so that was kinda a perfect lil add on for me smile

but I think what affected me/ what I liked most about the episode was the feels sad
Like honest THE FEELS crying scream gonk biggrin

just some exquisite writing & I think the Ponds got a fitting end, bloody tragic but fitting one of the best send offs yet smile
I really didn't care much for it ^^;

Sorry just feel like the whole of series 7 so far has been rather lackluster compared to what we've been given in the past. It's been a very very long 5 episode farewell to the ponds.

When I think it might have been better if they'd done this last season instead. I know it wouldn't have been grandiose or anything. But Amy's comment at the end of the Christmas Special last year that they always leave him a place at the dinner table during Christmas, to me would have been a better sendoff.
It would have been very sweet and small, but it would have allowed the Doctor to move on from the Ponds while not really having to say goodbye to them. it would have given him a home to come back to during the Holidays (even if we the viewers never get to see it)

Series 7 has been nothing but the Doctor unwilling to let them go, even saying as much. Despite the fact that he was actually willing to let them go at the end of the last series. Did he suddenly regress? Amy and Rory are now two of the worse off companions we've seen since the revival, and it's all essentially the Doctor's fault for not letting them be.
It's annoying, I liked Amy and Rory. But it really felt like the writers ran out of ideas last year and have had to try and trudge through this new series.

Sorry it just left a sour taste in my mouth, nothing against anyone who liked it. If anything I'm glad to see people were able to enjoy it, I just wish I was able to feel the same way.

I'm just hoping the Christmas episode picks things up again.

High-functioning Detective

20,400 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Moffat needs a restraining order from the rooftops of the world.

First Sherlock, now the Ponds... WHO'S NEXT?!

gonk

Newbie Explorer

The universe proclaimed that the Doctor and Amy had to meet. Then it proclaimed that their time together must end.

Rest in peace Amelia Pond and Rory Williams. Your lives were surreal and full. You will be missed and not forgotten.

Romantic Werewolf

8,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Im just sad I didnt cry.. IM AN ALIEN!

Blessed Hunter

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Ghaleonx5z
I really didn't care much for it ^^;

Sorry just feel like the whole of series 7 so far has been rather lackluster compared to what we've been given in the past.

Series 7 has been nothing but the Doctor unwilling to let them go, even saying as much. Despite the fact that he was actually willing to let them go at the end of the last series.
Amy and Rory are now two of the worse off companions we've seen since the revival, and it's all essentially the Doctor's fault for not letting them be.
Sorry it just left a sour taste in my mouth, nothing against anyone who liked it. If anything I'm glad to see people were able to enjoy it, I just wish I was able to feel the same way.

-If you're not interested in debate, ignore this.-
I have to admit, the series so far seemed a bit choppy to me. Good, but choppy. It moved a bit too quickly until this Episode, it didn't have it's usual mind-numbing logic that it should, It was more a play around.
I don't think the Doctor was ever keen on letting them go in the first place though, the fact that he was so easily convinced to go and see them again and he never promised to stay away (and as we all know, the doctor is terrible at staying out of things) kind of proves my point.
I wouldn't agree that they were the worst off of the new series companions either.
They lived full lives, had many years with the Doctor, even with all of their mis-haps, they were finally allowed to live that quiet life they wanted to.
Compared to Rose, who was originally dumped in a parallel universe or Donna, who has little chance of amounting to anything and would never know what she could be, the Ponds, in my opinion, managed to get off lightly.
The thing that made it heartbreaking was that the Doctor and River had lost them as family, we would never see them again.
The Doctor was never willing to let anyone go, like a big, cosmic, 1200 year old child. Fate (and Rory's ability to die more than twice in an episode) saw that he had to.

Hilarious Lunatic

As soon as I finished the episode. I proclaimed. "Amy's gone, tonight we drink!"

I hate her so much.
Luchina de Marie

I think we were told far to much in advance about the Ponds leaving midway. It made the episodes feel like a very long and drawn out goodbye to the characters. It really didn't help much that we said hello and goodbye to them at the start and end of each episode. It felt like they were trying to ween the audience off without really showing them any less. Then in this episode they essentially die, not really just stopping like was expected.

I say they are the worse off because, Donna while she might not remember anything still has her friends and family with her, and there is nothing to suggest she still can't grow as a person. It's just the doctor forces fast change, while for the average person it takes time. It's sad that she isn't who she was when she was with him, but it's not to say she still can't be that person again, it's in her after all.

And Rose while yes originally she was put in a bad position, but by her second leaving I'd honestly say she's in one of the best if not the best position any companion has ever gotten, New and old series included. Friends, family, gets the technically be with the doctor for the rest of her life. Something no one else can really say.

Amy and Rory while having one another are technically cut off from every relation and tie they've ever had in their entire lives. No mothers or fathers, no friends, and whether or not River can actually show up that often who can say. Especially considering it really seems she's getting closer and closer to her own death.

It just really leaves me with a bad taste, the doctor as hard as it's been has always allowed or made his companions leave. It's hurt him to be certain but he's never let that pain stop him from knowing when to let go before. Yes he likely still carries everyone with him that he's ever travelled with that's to be expected, but physically allowing them to go he's never tried to stop this badly before. And because of that this whole situation is on his hands. Compounded by the fact is the talk to Rory's own father the episode previous.

I'm not saying it didn't have to be heartbreaking or sad. It's just the lead up episodes were seriously lacking, and the actual farewell just really doesn't work for me and just paints the doctor in such a bad light it really turns me off quite a bit. Because it really is completely and utterly his own fault. Other companions it was always a choice, or bad place wrong time.

What annoys me most of all is they can't even follow up on this situation and his feelings of it, because he's already getting a new companion next episode during Christmas. Which is why I'm looking forward to the fresh start. But at the same time desperately hoping they don't do another series 3 of 'The rebound companion' where all he does is talk about Amy and Rory too his new companion.

Suppose I just expected better of the Doctor than this... *shrugs*
I expected so much more from this episode but I thought it was actually really boring and not emotional at all. The pair of them have been in peril, disappeared from each other for a bazillion years or died so many times that it just didn't feel special or like a last goodbye in the slightest.

I'm glad they're out of it now though, I really didn't rate Amy and Rory as companions they didn't feel real enough to me. Previous companions, Rose, Donna even Martha felt like real people, they made me believe the doctor could pick anyone, people like you and me to be his companions, but there was something about Amy especially that felt really fake.

Looking forward to the new ones though, hopefully they'll be better.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff