Welcome to Gaia! ::

Star-Crossed Seraph

25,775 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Object of Affection 150
To me, Clara is too wishy-washy, but Clara can only be how she is written to be. And that is Moffat's fault. He did the same with Matt Smith's 11th Doctor ... never let him become "himself" ... always an action or reference to one of his other lives in each show ... like he was slipping back into a different Doctor's behavioral patterns ... each Doctor is a different man after regeneration as Ten said to Wilfred at the cafe. Smith never had that chance to be himself and once again, that is Moffat's fault.

Moffat has proven in the past that he cannot write an actual female part that makes a female believeable. And what he does write, especially in DW, you can go back to another of the past series ... even the classic Who and find the same reference or happening. The man is about as original in his writing as a brick.

As to Clara at one point being an unevolved Time Lord ... well, canon states that not all Gallifreyans were Time Lords ... just the chosen few. They went to the Academy to -learn- to be Time Lords (The Doctor FAILED his regeneration class TWICE and that is why he has so much trouble after regeneration coming into himself once more.) Being a Time Lord is a profession, not an evolution. But then, Moffat tried to explain that away with the fact that River Song was conceived in the Vortex and that gave her Time Lord abilities ... xp

The only female companions that I felt had any substance to them were Sarah Jane and Donna since they would stand up to the Doctor and question what he was about to do. And Rory would do so as well. Almost every other companion has always accepted outright what the Doctor does as being right and yet, even he has admitted to making mistakes in the past.
              Honestly I don't like Clara.
              They TRIED to make her important by making her in EVERY episode ever? Excuse you. No, b***h. No.
              I also thought maybe I was being biased because she hoped in for Smith.
              His companions are and forever will be Amy and Rory. End of story.
              Tennant (my love) will always have Rose and Donna. As much as I despised her mouth she was a huge role.

Demonic Warlock

44,375 Points
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
SamWinchester
Are you all of you just butthurt because Amy is gone? Give Clara a chance. She's been herself for all of what? four eps?

I've been giving her a chance, I just don't really care for her so far. She's leaving in December, not like we have much chance to "get to know her" better either.

I did find it hilarious that her reaction to the "older" looking Doctor was the same as many younger fans of the show had.

"NOOOO! HE'S OLD & DIFFERENT! I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS!"

I am loyal to the Doctor, every form of him. Not just the young cute ones.

Time-traveling Bookworm

29,275 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Survivor 150
Nafretiti
At the start I didn't mind her but now I am rather sick to death of her and am REALLY looking forward to this Christmas episode because it means she will finally be gone! I was annoyed with her before but after this episode I am now pissed at Steven making her a stupid love sick puppy because her character has seen the Doctor change many times before and yet she accepted them but now the 11th regenerates into 12 and she is finding it so damn hard to accept the change!? Seriously! She HAS. SEEN. THIS. BEFORE!! It is NOT new but no, she acts as if she can't accept him because he isn't pretty boy 11 anymore.

I know, Stevens fault for that but if I were her I would of said something, Peter basically got Steven to say no to any romance between him and another in this episode so Jenna could of said SOMETHING surely.

Thank you! Clara never really bothered me before- but this... this inability to accept the latest regeneration?? It's just stupid. It's not like with the other companions who didn't know about the Doctor's regeneration process- when they cried and didn't want them to go, I could understand. But Clara?? If she's been there since Doctor 1, then this should NOT be a surprise and so freakin' difficult for her to deal with. One could argue that with 11, she spend more time with him, and therefore established a bond unlike previously where apparently she popped up just long enough to save the Doctor time and time again (which, I find to be stupid and insulting)- but it still doesn't excuse her stupid whining about how she "doesn't think she knows the Doctor anymore". In this first episode of season 8, I find Madame Vastra and her group much more enjoyable and hope to see more of them. I don't hate Clara, but this behavior annoyed me.

Daring Witch

18,925 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Team Kitten Star 75
  • Cat Fancier 100
She came out of the TARDIS assuring Jenny, Vastra and Strax that he was the Doctor, it was after his behavior started to change and he seemed to have forgotten her and everyone else he should know and was actually seeming to BE a stranger that Clara started questioning him being the Doctor any more. She's seen different faces, yes, but, only in the interior of the time line and never at the very moment of regeneration when any Time Lord seems likely to be disoriented to an exponential degree. Her ghost selves that came into the Doctor's time lines in pursuit of the Great Intelligence's attempts to erase him aren't part of her psyche, and are all chance encounters rather than extended companionship stays. People watching the episode accusing her of being put off by the superficial changes are making the same assumptions as Vastra was when she put on the veil and put Clara through her little ordeal. And as I recall, Clara set her straight rather adeptly, to the applause of Jenny, and of myself I must say. More assumptions being made concerning that advertisement for/from The Impossible Girl, when in the end it's actually neither Clara nor the Doctor who actually placed it. Jumping to conclusions at the outset will often lead to varying degrees of humiliation along the way.

Dedicated Hunter

Ive always hated Clara, she was a plot point not a character. She has no personality what so ever. She has no special skills and is usually just a damsel in distress. We need another strong companion like Donna

Partying Poster

Bad Wolf Delight
I don't so much hate Clara as a character per say. I more hate her because she is Moffat's ultimate ramming of the DW series. She is his immortality into the series no matter who writes it in the future. He created Clara to be the end all be all of companions because, thanks to Moffat, without her the Doctor never would have made it off of Gallifrey, and thus without her the series never would have been at all. So. Freaking. Stupid. The least Moffat could have done is give her some personality other than being a young, hipster, cheeky, borederline bithcy, 20 year old. While Rose was young and rarely thought before acting, at least she wasn't a needlessly sassy b***h. Clara is like that person that always has a smart a** comment for everything that you just want to slap the second they open their mouth. I want a companion like Donna for the 12th Doctor, not some sassy little child.

wahmbulance SPOILER!!!! DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE NEW TEASERS FOR SEASON 8!!!!! wahmbulance

In the first teaser when the 12th Doctor asked her if he was a good man and she responds "I'm not even sure who the Doctor is anymore" it seriously made me want to punch her in the face. He is honestly and genuinely asking for her help and sounds so unsure and upset, and she gets all freaking snarky because he was forced to regenerate in order to, oh that's right, stay alive!!! She was the one who pleaded to the freaking Time Lords to save him in the first place. Then like the immature, bratty, child she is, she gets all pissed and pouts and stamps her little foot about it because it's not the way she wanted him to be saved. At least Rose, while upset and confused, was more concerned about the Doctor and if he was okay or not over her own upset for the most part.

OMG, you totally nailed it. This is why my all-time favorite is Donna. She was his 'conscience' while Rose, although pretty annoying, was his heart. Amy plain drove me nuts. One minute she could be thoughtful and clever, another nagging and annoying. But Clara being his 'savior' through all time just really ticks me off. The Doctor is way smarter than that.

Surl E Dean's Fangirl

Invisible Lunatic

23,025 Points
  • NPCon Fanatic 500
  • NPCon Attendee 100
There's something about Clara though and that's the fact that she's written poorly. She may very well be a great character if Moffat ever dared to do more rounded characterization.

One thing I've observed is that in the first episode of the season we did see her painted in a terrible light (and it's constantly brought up) but she progressed by the end of the episode to become the companion she should have been from the beginning. I personally *loved* this because it is shattering that "savior complex" that people will criticize her for. You can't have it both ways. I'd much rather have someone who we finally see as a failing human who turns their beliefs and attitude around then her be immediately accepting/the savior etc.

I find more promise in the shortcomings because I can only hope that is going to signify growth, and depth of her character which she is severely lacking.

Whereas Rose devolved as a character with the terrible characterization and tropes Davies put her through. Yet why is there a huge lack of nitpicking of her character who for all intents and purposes really deteriorated as the series went on. Yet she was also human comprised of (some serious) faults, weaknesses but strengths as well.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
I like her since I can relate to her the most. She's very observant and doesn't talk a lot like Donna. I couldn't stand Donna, but my dad likes her. It kind of bugged me how badly Amy treated Rory for a bit and how she kissed her son-in-law.
Plus Clara is going to be gone on the Christmas special, so there will be a new companion. I'm going to enjoy seeing her boyfriend since he's really cute. Some fans think Clara and River Song are the same person, only theory of course. I loved how in the premier of the new season how the Doctor was kind of using Clara to give a message to the fans of "you only liked me when I was young." It was cleverly done. I also love the Doctor's new Scottish accent. Anyway it's hard not to like Clara when I have a lot of similarities to her, one of them being the height issue.

Anyway Clara reminds me of an old Doctor Who companion, Liz Shaw who was also very clever, quick, and witty.

But according to this fun quiz: Which sort of companion are you? I'm Sarah Jane Smith, which I don't mind.

Wild Bibliophile

17,650 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
i hated clara the first time she appeared. i wanted her to be a guest character so badly. she just really annoys me. and it's not just that i miss amy either (my favorite companion was donna) because i liked several companions before her ( i didn't like martha at all though).

Lonely Fatcat

7,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Generous 100
  • Bookworm 100

well, this is awkward.

Tenacious Genius

4,650 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
Dorian_Archer
To me, Clara is too wishy-washy, but Clara can only be how she is written to be. And that is Moffat's fault. He did the same with Matt Smith's 11th Doctor ... never let him become "himself" ... always an action or reference to one of his other lives in each show ... like he was slipping back into a different Doctor's behavioral patterns ... each Doctor is a different man after regeneration as Ten said to Wilfred at the cafe. Smith never had that chance to be himself and once again, that is Moffat's fault.

Moffat has proven in the past that he cannot write an actual female part that makes a female believeable. And what he does write, especially in DW, you can go back to another of the past series ... even the classic Who and find the same reference or happening. The man is about as original in his writing as a brick.

As to Clara at one point being an unevolved Time Lord ... well, canon states that not all Gallifreyans were Time Lords ... just the chosen few. They went to the Academy to -learn- to be Time Lords (The Doctor FAILED his regeneration class TWICE and that is why he has so much trouble after regeneration coming into himself once more.) Being a Time Lord is a profession, not an evolution. But then, Moffat tried to explain that away with the fact that River Song was conceived in the Vortex and that gave her Time Lord abilities ... xp

The only female companions that I felt had any substance to them were Sarah Jane and Donna since they would stand up to the Doctor and question what he was about to do. And Rory would do so as well. Almost every other companion has always accepted outright what the Doctor does as being right and yet, even he has admitted to making mistakes in the past.
Don't forget about Jenny. She was Time Lord through birth as well.

Excaliber002's Queen

Sparkly Hoarder

whimsicalApothecary
I hate Clara because she's never really been given any character, during the Christmas special she almost had some character development but that was ripped away from her almost as fast as it showed.

Clara could be a good character who is likeable, but honestly we don't have a good enough writer heading DW for that to happen for any female character right now.
I have to agree. Clara is a boring character who has absolutely no character development, mostly because every episode they re-wrote who she was. And yes, by the time they attempted to write her character development, it was just torn down. I never once felt myself get attached to her because I didn't even know who she WAS.

HOWEVER, I will say that since we have actually and finally have a consistency for her character, I will say that she's begun growing on me. Her little moments of cleverness are a bit endearing and I am surprised that I am enjoying her with 12. I will still stand by my original thought that she and 12 are mismatched as a Doctor/Companion duo, especially since she was sort of pitifully mooning after 11 their whole first episode together (as mentioned before, at least Rose was quick to focus more heavily on the situation at hand rather then "oh gosh, where has my dear doctor gone!?!?!?" She was a bit upset but was at least open to getting to know 10 since she knew 9 was still in there) I agree with everyone and have always thought that 12 is going to need someone more like Donna to balance him out.
Or like mentioned above, how about we bring back Jenny??? I like to her brand of bubbliness and sass match up with her "dear old dad!" How amazing would that be? And no one would dare bring useless shipping into it because...ew. Lol.

HalIows's Wife

Girl-Crazy Wife

I really hate her myself. I ended up really disliking the first episode of the new season because they basically teased me with removing her like 4 different times and then didn't. She has no character depth compared to the past companions.. She's just cute. Literally that's all she has going for her and that's the only reason i can see anyone liking her. She's not interesting, she's not funny, she's not clever, she's not deep, she's not anything. Just a random cutie pie to follow the doctor around, witha convenient plot story that lets her have a billion back stories and death scenes, each more bland and boring then the last. Which is in-of-itself very annoying, that they would give such a deep, far reaching "pre built for your convience" back story to such a fresh, new character with no depth or character whatsoever. Like putting picture of a cute girl with a box of candy taped to it that screams "LIKE ME LIKE ME" at everyone who get's near. It's just trying WAY to hard to push something with no real sustance and depth on people who just want some damn candy.

Which is sad considering how interestingly she entered the series. She could have been a good character if they didn't make her only characteristic being cute. I mean, Amy manage to be cute, have character and their own backstory that isn't a pre-built package smeared all over her character. I grew to care about her and what happened to her, but Clara just draws no emotions. If she dies she'll just be there again. In fact she changes a tiny bit each time she dies because the writers have ADHD and apparently are as confused as to what to do with her as the fans are, so I find myself just hoping she literally dies and comes back more interesting next time.

If people think that about your character, you've gone terribly terribly wrong somewhere. cat_xd

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
I really can't stand her. She's ******** annoying. There was only one episode that I liked her in, and that was the first episode she appeared in. Dalek Asylum..I'm ready for the doctor to gain a new companion. She's just got a pretty face, and that's really the only thing she has going for her.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff