Welcome to Gaia! ::

Here is the list of nominees for this year's 38th Annual CMA Awards in November. Post your thoughts in this thread. biggrin

Entertainer of the Year

Brooks & Dunn
Kenny Chesney
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
Tim McGraw

Female Vocalist of the Year

Terri Clark
Sara Evans
Alison Krauss
Martina McBride
Reba McEntire

Male Vocalist of the Year

Kenny Chesney
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
George Strait
Keith Urban

Horizon Award

Dierks Bentley
Big & Rich
Julie Roberts
Josh Turner
Gretchen Wilson

Vocal Group of the Year

Alabama
Diamond Rio
Lonestar
Rascal Flatts
Trick Pony

Vocal Duo of the Year

Big & Rich
Blue County
Brooks & Dunn
Montgomery Gentry
The Warren Brothers

Single of the Year
(Award Goes to Artist and Producer)

"I Love This Bar"
Artist: Toby Keith
Producers: Toby Keith, James Stroud
DreamWorks Nashville

"Live Like You Were Dying"
Artist: Tim McGraw
Producers: Byron Gallimore, Tim McGraw, Darran Smith
Curb Records

"Redneck Woman"
Artist: Gretchen Wilson
Producers: Joe Scaife, Mark Wright
Epic Records

"Remember When"
Artist: Alan Jackson
Producer: Keith Stegall
Arista Nashville

"Whiskey Lullaby"
Artists: Brad Paisley featuring Alison Krauss
Producer: Frank Rogers
Arista Nashville

Album of the Year
(Award Goes to Artist and Producer)

"Here for the Party"
Producers: Joe Scaife, Mark Wright
Epic Records

"Mud on the Tires"
Artist: Brad Paisley
Producer: Frank Rogers
Arista Nashville

"Red Dirt Road"
Artist: Brooks & Dunn
Producers: Kix Brooks, Ronnie Dunn, Mark Wright
Arista Nashville

"Shock'n Y'all"
Producers: Toby Keith, James Stroud
DreamWorks Nashville

"When the Sun Goes Down"
Artist: Kenny Chesney
Producers: Buddy Cannon, Kenny Chesney
BNA Records

Song of the Year
(Award Goes to Songwriter and Primary Publisher)

"Live Like You Were Dying"
Songwriters: Tim Nichols, Craig Wiseman
Publishers: Warner-Tamerlane, Big Loud Shirt

"Long Black Train"
Songwriter: Josh Turner
Publishers: Sony/ATV Tunes, Drivers Ed Music

"Redneck Woman"
Songwriters: John Rich, Gretchen Wilson
Publishers: Sony/ATV, Cross Keys, Hoosiermama Music, WB Music, Warner-
Tamerlane

"Remember When"
Songwriter: Alan Jackson
Publishers: EMI April Music, Tri-Angels Music

"Whiskey Lullaby"
Songwriters: Bill Anderson, Jon Randall
Publishers: Mr. Bubba Music, Reyn Song, Sony/ATV Tree, Wha Ya Say

Musical Event of the Year

"Creepin' In"
Norah Jones with Dolly Parton
Blue Note Records

"Hey Good Lookin'"
Jimmy Buffett with Clint Black, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Toby
Keith, George Strait
RCA Records

"How's the World Treating You"
Alison Krauss, James Taylor
Universal South

"When the Sun Goes Down"
Kenny Chesney with Uncle Kracker
BNA Records

"Whiskey Lullaby"
Brad Paisley featuring Alison Krauss
Arista Nashville

Music Video of the Year
(Award Goes to Artist and Director)

"I Love This Bar"
Director: Michael Salomon

"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"
Artists: Alan Jackson, Jimmy Buffett
Director: Trey Fanjoy

"Redneck Woman"
Director: David Hogan

"Remember When"
Artist: Alan Jackson
Director: Trey Fanjoy

"Whiskey Lullaby"
Artists: Brad Paisley, Alison Krauss
Director: Rick Shroder

Musician of the Year

Matt Chamberlain -- Drums
Kenny Greenberg -- Electric Guitar
Dann Huff -- Guitar
Larry Paxton -- Guitar
Brent Rowan -- Guitar
My honest opinion.... these nominations disappoint me. I, for one, am highly offended that Big & Rich can openly receive, set aside which categories, more nominations than bands like Rascal Flatts and Lonestar. It really, really disturbs me. This genre is going to s**t, and damn do I hate that fact. gonk

Gretchen Wilson also pisses me off. So, she writes a song about being a hick, and therefore she deserves the utmost recognition, and must be nominated in every category humanly possible just for the hell of it? I think not. Where the hell is Shania? I think she deserves to be quite a few notches above Gretchen on the scale. I disagree with her pop songs, but the woman is still Country, whether or not anyone wants to admit it.

As much as I like Alison Krauss, she doesn't deserve a female vocalist nomination just because she hit sudden popularity with Whiskey Lullaby. I can see nominating the song for best song, or even the video, but for God's sake, come on. On a side note, anyone care to explain why SHeDAISY is never nominated? Christ, they write their own material and it's phenomenal. Ugh.

Also notice that the god-awful award-thieving Norah Jones is now up for a Country award! I don't care if she cuts a duet with the late Johnny Cash, I'll still think she sucks. I've heard cows moo better than her, and I don't see them getting any gold for it. The only metal they see is in the slaughterhouse, and that makes me rather sad. Poor talentful cows, being overthrown by worthless artists who are wasting oxygen AND a record deal. scream

I think the only thing I'm actually happy about is that Blue County got a nomination. I'll watch these awards to see Rascal Flatts, and that's about it. What a disappointment. cry
I'm also disappointed. George Strait only gets one nomination. He's been singing since 1976, and he only gets one nomination. He's one of the very traditionalists left, and he deserves much more.

Oh, and Mizandi... John Rich (Big and Rich) was at one time a member of Lonestar. He shared lead vocals with Richie McDonald.

John Rich can sing. Just not without Lonestar.
beau992
I'm also disappointed. George Strait only gets one nomination. He's been singing since 1976, and he only gets one nomination. He's one of the very traditionalists left, and he deserves much more.

Oh, and Mizandi... John Rich (Big and Rich) was at one time a member of Lonestar. He shared lead vocals with Richie McDonald.

I know that. I'm just stating that Big & Rich, as a group, should not have more than one nomination. Not by a LONG shot.
Mizandi
beau992

I know that. I'm just stating that Big & Rich, as a group, should not have more than one nomination. Not by a LONG shot.

OK, I will agree with that.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
I'm not a big big fan of country, so I suppose I'm biased in the groups on that list I've listened to and the ones I give two figs about.

Let me see...

I give two figs about Brooks & Dunn, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Diamond Rio, and Lonestar.

I remember hearing Redneck Woman and not liking it. So I suppose you've got a point about Gretchen.

On a side note, if Red Dirt Road and Remember When get beat I'll be sad. Especially if it happens to be "It's Five o'clock Somewhere" or "Redneck Woman."
I just tried to do a huge post/rant and ti disappeared. if I get the engery later I will re-write it. The jist of it is: Big and Rich and gretchen will win and those that I feel deserve it will lose. Yay... stare
personally, i like the nominees, although i agree w/ where in the world has SHeDAISY gone, and Rascal Flatts should have more nominations, i am fairly pleased, here is who i want to win...if ne1 has ne thing to say about my hopefulls...please...PM ME! lol ok, here it goes,
Entertainer of he Year: Kenny Chesney
Female Vocalist of the Year: Sara Evans
Horizon Award: Julie Roberts
Vocal Group of the Year: Rascal Flatts
Vocal Duo of the Year: Blue County
Single of the Year: Live Like You Where Dying
Album of the Year: When the Sun Goes Down
Song of the Year: Redneck Woman
Musical Event of the Year: Hey Good Lookin
Music Video of the Year: Redneck Woman
Musician of the Year: Brent Rowan wink wink
I'm back and I will try to remember my rant.

First off, my pics:

Entertainer of the Year -Brooks & Dunn
Female Vocalist of the Year -Martina McBride
Male Vocalist of the Year - Keith Urban
Horizon Award -Dierks Bentley
Vocal Group of the Year - Lonestar
Vocal Duo of the Year - Blue County
Single of the Year - "Live Like You Were Dying"
Album of the Year - Red Dirt Road
Song of the Year - "Live Like You Were Dying"
Musical Event of the Year - "Hey Good Lookin'"
Music Video of the Year - "Whiskey Lullaby"
Musician of the Year - (don't know who any of them are)

Now, those choices above are who I think SHOULD win, not who I think WILL win. In all reality I think the show this year would be better if they just gave Big and Rich and Gretchen their awards before the show even happens. That way they can use the time that would have been taken up for their exceptance speeches and let some of the "losers" perform. I mean, they're going to win anyway and it's going to be no surprise when they do, so why even air their awards on TV? There was some really kick a** country music out there this year and I feel this awards show is going to overlook a lot of it.

So that wasn't a great rant. I don't remember what all I ranted about yesterday and I am in too good a mood to rant anyway.

Lucky Bookworm

The duo award will go to either Brooks & Dunn or Montgomery Gentry. Brooks & Dunn have like only not won it once...Its Pratically THEIR award.Plus MG and B&D are like the only decent ones on there i think. Blue Countrys ok, but heaven save me from the other two...
Where's Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson?
I personally are happy some new guys have been getting nominated, instead of Rascall Flatts, and George Straight, and now wahsed up Vince Gill. I love the traditionalist the most, but some neo people like Big And Rich are awesome.

But I have one complaint:
Why are some of the same songs and the same artist who got nominated for the horizon award last year nominated again? That's not alowed!
Hank Williams
I personally are happy some new guys have been getting nominated, instead of Rascall Flatts, and George Straight, and now wahsed up Vince Gill. I love the traditionalist the most, but some neo people like Big And Rich are awesome.

But I have one complaint:
Why are some of the same songs and the same artist who got nominated for the horizon award last year nominated again? That's not alowed!

I noticed that as well. It's rather bothersome.
Romulus

Well, Romulus, my dear good child, Bob Dylan switched back to folk, in his dark days from the 80's through now. I myself think Bob Dylan should have never gone country, and thank god he's off.

As for Willie Nelson, I am just as shocked as you are. He has had a long and still successfull run, and maybe and sadly his career is dying down. No one lasts forever, although the whole world wishes Willie will.

Also, you have to have room for the newcomers who have never gotten awards. Willie has won a ton. So don't feel bad.
Hank Williams
Romulus

Well, Romulus, my dear good child, Bob Dylan switched back to folk, in his dark days from the 80's through now. I myself think Bob Dylan should have never gone country, and thank god he's off.

As for Willie Nelson, I am just as shocked as you are. He has had a long and still successfull run, and maybe and sadly his career is dying down. No one lasts forever, although the whole world wishes Willie will.

Also, you have to have room for the newcomers who have never gotten awards. Willie has won a ton. So don't feel bad.

I think the reason that Romulus used both together is because Dylan and Nelson toured together this year.

Not to mention that they both stayed at my hotel when they performed here, and I had the undying honor of seeing Willie Nelson in nothing but a pair of boxer shorts. It was the most disturbing thing. Ever.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff