Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey I'm pretty new into exploring into music but I've really gotten interested into Folk so I was wondering what was some good essential stuff to listen to? honestly the only folk album I got was Hopelessness Blues from the fleet foxes but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Feline Reveler

11,425 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Partygoer 500
Over land and sea...

I could give a few suggestions from my vast music library. :] Though it depends on the kind of folk music you like... As in, if you don't mind a little bit of international folk music. XD; Note: This is where I occasionally get confused as to which forum I should share my musical tastes in. OTL

I mainly listen to Celtic folk and folk rock. Keep in mind not all of this music is in English. :/

Tri Yann - Got me started on Celtic rock in the first place. They're a Breton folk rock group, from Brittany (northwestern France), obviously. : P Definite strong tendencies toward Celtic folk, with modern rock influences in the mix. Their music is in both French and Breton.
Altan - They're an Irish folk group, so a good portion of their music is in Irish Gaelic. There's also lots in English too~.
Julie Fowlis - She's soooo amazing~. <3 I just recently started to listen to her music, which seems to be entirely in Scots Gaelic. Her voice is beautiful and some of her songs are so catchy I've found myself humming them already.
Runrig - Best for last? :3 My personal favorite band and current musical obsession. |3 They're a Scottish Celtic rock group, with songs in both English and Scots Gaelic. Their lead vocalist, Bruce Guthro, is from Canada, and is also amazing, and you maaaay want to listen to some of his solo work too. :]

Okay, I'm done. XD; Daily music rant is over. Sorry if this isn't really any help. ^^;

...I'll come fighting for you.
Banenn
Over land and sea...

I could give a few suggestions from my vast music library. :] Though it depends on the kind of folk music you like... As in, if you don't mind a little bit of international folk music. XD; Note: This is where I occasionally get confused as to which forum I should share my musical tastes in. OTL

I mainly listen to Celtic folk and folk rock. Keep in mind not all of this music is in English. :/

Tri Yann - Got me started on Celtic rock in the first place. They're a Breton folk rock group, from Brittany (northwestern France), obviously. : P Definite strong tendencies toward Celtic folk, with modern rock influences in the mix. Their music is in both French and Breton.
Altan - They're an Irish folk group, so a good portion of their music is in Irish Gaelic. There's also lots in English too~.
Julie Fowlis - She's soooo amazing~. <3 I just recently started to listen to her music, which seems to be entirely in Scots Gaelic. Her voice is beautiful and some of her songs are so catchy I've found myself humming them already.
Runrig - Best for last? :3 My personal favorite band and current musical obsession. |3 They're a Scottish Celtic rock group, with songs in both English and Scots Gaelic. Their lead vocalist, Bruce Guthro, is from Canada, and is also amazing, and you maaaay want to listen to some of his solo work too. :]

Okay, I'm done. XD; Daily music rant is over. Sorry if this isn't really any help. ^^;

never heard celtic anything..wow lol thanks it was a new experience and it was pretty cool sounding. It wasn't really what i was looking foreward to though. I'm pretty noobish to music in general but I think im leaning towards more of a folk punk but I cant say for sure.

Feline Reveler

11,425 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Partygoer 500
-Loki-Muffin-

never heard celtic anything..wow lol thanks it was a new experience and it was pretty cool sounding. It wasn't really what i was looking foreward to though. I'm pretty noobish to music in general but I think im leaning towards more of a folk punk but I cant say for sure.
Over land and sea...

Heh, I suppose it's not a genre for everybody. :] I know a few folk punk bands as well, but only because I've run across them while looking through new music myself. Haven't listened to them much yet, so I can't really help all too well. I'm sure there's someone here who knows a bit more about folk punk than I do. :3 (Or whichever kind of folk you may end up leaning towards.)

4,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
Fleet Foxes rock! I'm assuming you mean newer folk because the essentials are really the originals: Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Joan Baez, John Prine, etc.

If you like the fleet foxes you may enjoy some of the bands I like (cuz I like fleet foxes too whee )

Iron&Wine, Ray Lamontagne, Kings of Convenience, Gillian Welch or Dave Rawlings Machine, Old Crow Medicine Show, Neko Case, Sufjan Stevens... some of these are like folk/country or folk/indie.
Nickel Creek

Punch Brothers

Chris Thile (He's in all of these groups. But get some of his solo albums. He's a really awesome mandolin player)

Bela Fleck
Laura Marling is someone I would consider a modern folk essential. Her second album is much more easily placed in the folk category than her first; it's titled I Speak Because I Can. Johnny Flynn is another. His songs can range from very mellow to very upbeat, and I love his banjo-picking. If you like the Fleet Foxes, I think you'll take kindly to Bon Iver, whose sound is reminiscent of Fleet Foxes themselves. I would also recommend Iron & Wine.

jarryidc's Significant Otter

Trash Nymph

Monsters of Folk, Conor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band, Conor Oberst, and Bright Eyes. [They're not really as "folky" as you might be hoping, but they're still pretty good.]
They are all projects that Conor Oberst is affiliated with. cool

Dangerous Prophet

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
Ireland and Scotland have so many, many, many true folk bands. Though they're a 60s band, give the Irish Rover's a listen. Good, simple, little folk band.

Shirtless Seeker

Joanna Newsom is really great.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas