Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I asked in the musicians' forum, but I'm getting a big fat nothing over there, so I figured since it's a folk instrument, I'd go check out the folk/bluegrass forum.

So... anyone? What kind do you play, how long have you played, etc.

Other folk instruments also welcome for discussion.

Wheezing Fatcat

7,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Gaian 50
Didn't Joni Mitchell play one? heart
I don't know how to play one.. sorry.
Loads of people on Youtube do though!

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Aprilia33
Didn't Joni Mitchell play one? heart
I don't know how to play one.. sorry.
Loads of people on Youtube do though!

Yup!

They're pretty easy to play - more difficult to master, but definitely loads of fun just to mess around on.

Vicious Sage

I have a small teardrop dulcimer, they are one of the easiest stringed instruments. I just recently found a small shop that specializes in dulcimers and auto harps.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lost Lucidity
I have a small teardrop dulcimer, they are one of the easiest stringed instruments. I just recently found a small shop that specializes in dulcimers and auto harps.

Teardrops are so pretty! I have an Apple Creek. (I think... the case says Apple Creek, but I know my mother in law bought it from Mr. McSpadden....) My mother in law had two so she gave me one of hers - apparently she got it for REALLY cheap because the varnish was bright orange, so no one wanted it. Since then, the color has mellowed to a really nice shade.

It looks like this: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Apparently there's a store about an hour from me that specializes in dulcimers and auto harps too - I'm going next ssssaturday? I think?

Vicious Sage

I have the cheapest one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/apple-creek-dulcimer

I like the head on yours, it's more traditional looking.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lost Lucidity
I have the cheapest one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/apple-creek-dulcimer

I like the head on yours, it's more traditional looking.

I love the scroll heads ^_^ Apparently the flat heads are preferable for... some reason.... I forget what it is, something that you can clip on them or something? Learned about it at the Cranberry Dulcimer and Autoharp Gathering. If you play, you should check it out next year! It was a TON of fun.

When I have enough money, I'd like to get a Blue Lion with the works. They're absolutely beautiful.

Vicious Sage

I'm on the other side of the country, but there is all kinds of folk music gatherings here on the west coast. Also I don't play the dulcimer that much, I usually play banjo and mandolin.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff