Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Businesswoman

Hello again all.
      I recently decided to put aside my idea for cosplaying as Usagi and decided that I will cosplay as Zatanna Zatara for this summer's Conneticon. I'm a lot happier with this choice since I don't have to buy an expensive wig. I really don't want to order this costume, which is the only one you can find online. I'd rather put together the costume myself. Getting things like stockings, shoes, and gloves is easy. Any advice on where I can find other pieces for the costume? Especially a yellow waistcoat and top hat. I'm mostly concerned about getting a coat like hers. The only one I found that was close was on ebay for $170 and I'm not spending that much on a coat. xD

Also, I'm very much on the fence about this, but I might want to try circle lenses for this cosplay.
      Zatanna's eyes are blue and mine are brown. Can anyone give advice on them?

comic reference
      young justice reference

Sparkly Streaker

You could probably get lucky finding a top hat in a thrift store, or a costume shop. It wouldn't be too difficult to cover it with the right fabric, I'd imagine.
Unfortunately, I have no advice on the jacket, but maybe you could look into some reputable commissioners, see what they'd charge? I know some people like doing single pieces.
How experienced are you with sewing? The sash just requires the right yellow fabric, something satin methinks, and some buttons, and the shirt could probably just be altered from a woman's dress shirt.

I take it you've never worn contacts before? Soft lenses aren't too bad, as long as you don't leave them in for too long and keep your eyes hydrated. They definitely take some getting used to though, but they can be a lot of fun! Just make sure you stick to 14 mm lenses, as those are the same size as your own iris. Anything bigger, and you'll look more chibi and innocent, and that's not what you want for Zatanna.
The Official Circle Lens Thread has some awesome info on lenses - everything from care, to colors/brands, and even reliable places to buy them. The regulars in the thread might also be able to recommend something more natural looking for the look you're going for.
Make sure you do your own price comparing, as some places are cheaper than others, and shipping prices are often different.

Shirtless Businesswoman

smile into the chaos
You could probably get lucky finding a top hat in a thrift store, or a costume shop. It wouldn't be too difficult to cover it with the right fabric, I'd imagine.
Unfortunately, I have no advice on the jacket, but maybe you could look into some reputable commissioners, see what they'd charge? I know some people like doing single pieces.
How experienced are you with sewing? The sash just requires the right yellow fabric, something satin methinks, and some buttons, and the shirt could probably just be altered from a woman's dress shirt.

I take it you've never worn contacts before? Soft lenses aren't too bad, as long as you don't leave them in for too long and keep your eyes hydrated. They definitely take some getting used to though, but they can be a lot of fun! Just make sure you stick to 14 mm lenses, as those are the same size as your own iris. Anything bigger, and you'll look more chibi and innocent, and that's not what you want for Zatanna.
The Official Circle Lens Thread has some awesome info on lenses - everything from care, to colors/brands, and even reliable places to buy them. The regulars in the thread might also be able to recommend something more natural looking for the look you're going for.
Make sure you do your own price comparing, as some places are cheaper than others, and shipping prices are often different.
Thank you for your feedback!
I'll be sure to check out a thrift store soon and check out some commissioners.
I'm terrible at sewing and don't know how to use a machine, so I would probably need help with that.

I actually do wear contacts for vision purposes. But never tried circle lenses. The reason why I'm nervous is because I've heard that they weren't that safe. However, I will check out that thread you suggested! C:

Sparkly Streaker

Cherii Kiissu
Thank you for your feedback!
I'll be sure to check out a thrift store soon and check out some commissioners.
I'm terrible at sewing and don't know how to use a machine, so I would probably need help with that.

I actually do wear contacts for vision purposes. But never tried circle lenses. The reason why I'm nervous is because I've heard that they weren't that safe. However, I will check out that thread you suggested! C:

You're welcome! c:
Honestly, as long as you don't leave them in for too long (I think 6 hours is the limit, or something like that), you'll be fine. 3nodding You can also get the lenses in prescriptions of up to -10, and you can get each lens in a different prescription if need be.
Seeing how you already have experience with contacts, I think you'd be okay. ^_^
Just avoid knockoff brands. The Korean soft lenses - including brands such as GEO and EOS - are perfectly safe.

Shy Dark Elf

Excellent choice in character. wink

*ahem*
I'm with you on making a Zatanna Zatara cosplay/costume, and I've found putting one together is much more simple than I would have thought. ;o

For the top hat,someone above me said you could try thrift or costume shops for one which is where I would look first.
I ordered mine online from ebay, but that's only because we haven't got anywhere around here that has/had a top hat when I went.

For the tailcoat she wears, I ordered something from a dance group actually.
Was for a dance costume, but I thought it looked nice. ;o
This is where I ordered it from.

White collard shirt should be simple to find. Gloves, fishnets/stockings and footwear as you said are also easy to find.
For the bottoms she wears, I'd honestly suggest getting a cheap pair of leggings and cutting them.
Get them to the length you desire, for the boyshort look or bikini style bottoms and hem.
That's what I did, and it actually looks pretty good.
Didn't cost me more than $6 for them, and I cut and sewed them to where I wanted them to be. ;o

Otherwise I might suggest looking around at bathing suit bottoms?
You can usually find black pretty quickly, and with summer coming up they're everywhere.
Best of all, the come in both the bikini style bottoms or boyshorts. ;o

As for the vest/waistcoat? I'd also suggest just looking around at stores you've got there, or check out someplace like Etsy.
There are lots of people that sell waistcoats/vests, and if you find one you like you could always send the seller a message asking if they could make you one in yellow.

LONG POST IS LONG.
Sorry 'bout that.

Hope this helps!

Shirtless Businesswoman

blood_raiin
Excellent choice in character. wink

*ahem*
I'm with you on making a Zatanna Zatara cosplay/costume, and I've found putting one together is much more simple than I would have thought. ;o

For the top hat,someone above me said you could try thrift or costume shops for one which is where I would look first.
I ordered mine online from ebay, but that's only because we haven't got anywhere around here that has/had a top hat when I went.

For the tailcoat she wears, I ordered something from a dance group actually.
Was for a dance costume, but I thought it looked nice. ;o
This is where I ordered it from.

White collard shirt should be simple to find. Gloves, fishnets/stockings and footwear as you said are also easy to find.
For the bottoms she wears, I'd honestly suggest getting a cheap pair of leggings and cutting them.
Get them to the length you desire, for the boyshort look or bikini style bottoms and hem.
That's what I did, and it actually looks pretty good.
Didn't cost me more than $6 for them, and I cut and sewed them to where I wanted them to be. ;o

Otherwise I might suggest looking around at bathing suit bottoms?
You can usually find black pretty quickly, and with summer coming up they're everywhere.
Best of all, the come in both the bikini style bottoms or boyshorts. ;o

As for the vest/waistcoat? I'd also suggest just looking around at stores you've got there, or check out someplace like Etsy.
There are lots of people that sell waistcoats/vests, and if you find one you like you could always send the seller a message asking if they could make you one in yellow.

LONG POST IS LONG.
Sorry 'bout that.

Hope this helps!
thank you so much for the help!
good luck on your zatanna cosplay!
this is really going to help. C:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash