Welcome to Gaia! ::

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Alright, I am asking this early but it is going to bug me until I actually get around to doing this cosplay, so I might as well ask it now for the sake of my sanity razz

I want to cosplay as Felicia from Darkstalkers...at some point gonk

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Obviously I am going to alter it so my chest-region is covered more than that u>_> but anyway, my question is how would I get the wig to have that much volume?

Obviously with hairspray, and maybe wefts (I don't really know what they are, I've just heard of them surprised ), but would there be a certain technique to it? All help is much appreciated heart

Currently Questing:
Rose Dame de Demoiselles User Image
225k/305k+
Latest Donator: Captain Alestorm ~ Various Items eek heart

Blessed Sex Symbol

Hummmmmmmmm I've heard of these pins that you stick under layers of hair which makes them appear to have more volume, maybe try those?
I'm just thinking of those "Bump-it" things now. XD not meant to be helpful, but I thought would share anyway. Sorry I can't help, I honestly have no experience with wigs, but I feel like like nobody would blame you if you couldn't manage to get 100L of hair (volume pun).

Girl-Crazy Capitalist

I've always been a little curious about that cosplay as well surprised
Someone mentioned those Bump It things, and I think those could help, but would probably be too small. You may need to get two or three wigs so you could cut up the other two and sew them in and still have that thickness (using a line of wefts from say Arda seems that you wouldn't get the volume you're wanting?

In other ways, you make have to use hair spray to tease and scrunch up the underlying hair layers so that the hair on top is pretty and rolls down on top of that cushioning layer of teased frizz. Something I've seen common with strange hairstyles is for the cosplayer to use foam cores placed on the wig and then covered in hair. Like a tutorial making Toph from Avatar's Bun was painting a foam core black and hollowing out a side so that they could wrap hair all around it to make it look like a giant hair bun. With Felicia I could see it potentially working if you used maybe three foam shapes, but it would take a lot of hair. I'm sure you have better wig experience than I do, but I'm thinking for something like her hair it could get about as pricy as buying two or three wigs.

Maybe there are tutorials online for how to do her hair? I'm sure someone on DA has done it and you may be able to ask them for tips? c:

Loyal Mage

Well whatever you do, first thing you want to consider is if your going to wash the wig. If you do, it makes the wig more controlled but heavier. If you don't wash it it stays light and fluffy when you move but gets tangled really easily. I suggest you consider looking online for tutorials then seeing if any methods r possible. I hope I was help! 3nodding

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Milady Alluca
I've always been a little curious about that cosplay as well surprised
Someone mentioned those Bump It things, and I think those could help, but would probably be too small. You may need to get two or three wigs so you could cut up the other two and sew them in and still have that thickness (using a line of wefts from say Arda seems that you wouldn't get the volume you're wanting?

In other ways, you make have to use hair spray to tease and scrunch up the underlying hair layers so that the hair on top is pretty and rolls down on top of that cushioning layer of teased frizz. Something I've seen common with strange hairstyles is for the cosplayer to use foam cores placed on the wig and then covered in hair. Like a tutorial making Toph from Avatar's Bun was painting a foam core black and hollowing out a side so that they could wrap hair all around it to make it look like a giant hair bun. With Felicia I could see it potentially working if you used maybe three foam shapes, but it would take a lot of hair. I'm sure you have better wig experience than I do, but I'm thinking for something like her hair it could get about as pricy as buying two or three wigs.

Maybe there are tutorials online for how to do her hair? I'm sure someone on DA has done it and you may be able to ask them for tips? c:
I actually was looking at other cosplays, to see how they altered it so it isn't so...er...revealing sweatdrop and someone had pictures of her wig technique. She actually did use the foam, and covered it with blue fabric so if any showed through the wig, it wouldn't really be noticeable. I think I might go with that, I'm just glad you suggested it so I know that it isn't just something out of the blue that just one person has done haha.

But yeah, I agree that it will probably get a little pricey with the wigs, but seeing as her outfit won't require much work, except making the paws (which isn't really extremely difficult), I am really thankful that the only super difficult part will be the wig xD

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
99k/675k+

Girl-Crazy Capitalist

Ithlia
I actually was looking at other cosplays, to see how they altered it so it isn't so...er...revealing sweatdrop and someone had pictures of her wig technique. She actually did use the foam, and covered it with blue fabric so if any showed through the wig, it wouldn't really be noticeable. I think I might go with that, I'm just glad you suggested it so I know that it isn't just something out of the blue that just one person has done haha.

But yeah, I agree that it will probably get a little pricey with the wigs, but seeing as her outfit won't require much work, except making the paws (which isn't really extremely difficult), I am really thankful that the only super difficult part will be the wig xD

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
99k/675k+

I get what you mean, it certainly is a revealing outfit. I believe I've seen a lot of people use skin colored suits instead of showing their actual skin, but I've seen others cosplay her quite tastefully without using that technique c: I think one of my favorites I saw awhile back was one that sort of had her lower half wearing shortish shorts that were a bit torn up to go with the stripey look she has, and a cloth band that circled the girl's chest like a strapless sports bra. With a cosplay like Felicia, I doubt people will get too uppity on cosplayers who change it up to make it a little more decent for their personal comfort.

She definitely has syndrome of physically impossible everything xD The cosplay seems like an interesting one though, you should post construction pictures in the forum sometime when you're able to start working on it, I'd definitely love to see the wig construction especially haha.

Oh and these http://malindachan.deviantart.com/art/Kaito-Tenjo-Wig-297750716 and http://malindachan.deviantart.com/art/Yusei-Fudo-Wig-tutorial-v2-259301464 are wig tutorials that involve using foam or other things to help in styling the hair. I don't think they'll be 100% useful for Felicia, but maybe it'll give you a better piece of mind to see other cosplayers definitely use the technique or better ideas on how to do it yourself? c:

Sparkly Phantom

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/224942/
Thats probably the same one you were talking about earlier but I think it looks pretty awesome.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Milady Alluca
Ithlia

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
99k/675k+

I get what you mean, it certainly is a revealing outfit. I believe I've seen a lot of people use skin colored suits instead of showing their actual skin, but I've seen others cosplay her quite tastefully without using that technique c: I think one of my favorites I saw awhile back was one that sort of had her lower half wearing shortish shorts that were a bit torn up to go with the stripey look she has, and a cloth band that circled the girl's chest like a strapless sports bra. With a cosplay like Felicia, I doubt people will get too uppity on cosplayers who change it up to make it a little more decent for their personal comfort.

She definitely has syndrome of physically impossible everything xD The cosplay seems like an interesting one though, you should post construction pictures in the forum sometime when you're able to start working on it, I'd definitely love to see the wig construction especially haha.

Oh and these http://malindachan.deviantart.com/art/Kaito-Tenjo-Wig-297750716 and http://malindachan.deviantart.com/art/Yusei-Fudo-Wig-tutorial-v2-259301464 are wig tutorials that involve using foam or other things to help in styling the hair. I don't think they'll be 100% useful for Felicia, but maybe it'll give you a better piece of mind to see other cosplayers definitely use the technique or better ideas on how to do it yourself? c:
Yeah, I don't know if you have seen Yaya Han's Felicia cosplay, but I really like the way she altered it. The top is basically like a strapless push-up bra (which I'd be fine with) and she made it using the fur material. The bottom I can't really tell, but I'm fine with a bikini-bottom type thing no problem, but some cosplayers have made the bottom more revealing in the back than I would like, so I'll probably alter that some sweatdrop

And thank you for the tutorials!! I'll definitely post pictures on the forum when I can get around to making her. I might try to squeeze her in next year, but I already have a lot of cosplay plans XD and I don't know how many cons I am attending next year haha.

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
99k/675k+

Generous Smoker

9,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
I saw this cosplay Saturday and it appeared that the wig was crimped and then teased. Im not 100% on it but thats what it LOOKED like. :]

Eloquent Elocutionist

Doing this for my N cosplay; haven't actually done it, but I know people in person who have, and it works well.

Buy multiple of the same wig. Cut the netting in strips (I'll post pictures if you don't already know what I'm talking about). Those are wefts. Sew them to the netting on the first (unaltered) wig until you have satisfactory volume. (Styling also helps achieve this).

I've known of people who tease and tangle the inside of the wigs to get volume... you can do that, I guess, but it makes me cringe.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Miinefield
Doing this for my N cosplay; haven't actually done it, but I know people in person who have, and it works well.

Buy multiple of the same wig. Cut the netting in strips (I'll post pictures if you don't already know what I'm talking about). Those are wefts. Sew them to the netting on the first (unaltered) wig until you have satisfactory volume. (Styling also helps achieve this).

I've known of people who tease and tangle the inside of the wigs to get volume... you can do that, I guess, but it makes me cringe.
Oh please post pictures! I have the idea in my head, and I am pretty sure I am correct, but I would rather be 100% sure that I understand before I start planning anything.

I am a little...uneasy when it comes to teasing wigs and such, in fact my sister is better with wigs than I am sweatdrop Usually we work together, and she actually DOES it because she is better with judging how even something is, etc... But, I definitely agree that styling will be necessary...and buying multiple wigs gonk

Would you suggest two or three of the same wig?

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
99k/675k+

Eloquent Elocutionist

Ithlia
Miinefield
Oh please post pictures! I have the idea in my head, and I am pretty sure I am correct, but I would rather be 100% sure that I understand before I start planning anything.

I am a little...uneasy when it comes to teasing wigs and such, in fact my sister is better with wigs than I am sweatdrop Usually we work together, and she actually DOES it because she is better with judging how even something is, etc... But, I definitely agree that styling will be necessary...and buying multiple wigs gonk

The inside of a wig looks like this. (I am going to try and explain this as best as possible... let me know if it doesn't make sense). Cut the duplicate wigs in strips (the lines of netting... see what I mean?), pull the weft hair through the uncut wig, and sew the weft netting to the wig netting.

As for how many wigs to buy, it depends on how thick the wigs that you're getting are. I bought three for N because they were pretty thin (and even then I think I might have to get a fourth, but will work with what I have before spending any more money).

Hope that is helpful :]

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Miinefield
Ithlia
Miinefield

The inside of a wig looks like this. (I am going to try and explain this as best as possible... let me know if it doesn't make sense). Cut the duplicate wigs in strips (the lines of netting... see what I mean?), pull the weft hair through the uncut wig, and sew the weft netting to the wig netting.

As for how many wigs to buy, it depends on how thick the wigs that you're getting are. I bought three for N because they were pretty thin (and even then I think I might have to get a fourth, but will work with what I have before spending any more money).

Hope that is helpful :]
Would I be cutting it horizontally or vertically? And when I sew it, I am sewing all of it to the inside of the original wig?

*o* This is so exciting, you learn something new every day.

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
99k/675k+

Most of the people that I've know that do Felicia, end up either sewing two wigs together and adding a ton of wefts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff