Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Sooo, I was thinking of doing a cosplay from Homestuck buut, I'm trying to think of how to do it... I want to be either Terezi or Aradia, but I've never really made my own cosplay outfit so does anyone have idea for how I should make it?? sweatdrop

Girl-Crazy Capitalist

Well Homestuck cosplays are relatively easy, at least in figuring out what you need.
You'll need a black wig for one, the symbol shirt, slacks or skirt, materials to make horns, and body paint.

You could buy one of the official Homestuck shirts off of Hussie's site or you could make your own iron-on press to place on your own black shirt of choice. If there are any silk screening/t-shirt graphic shops in your area you could get it done there professionally I believe, for a price of course. A friend of mine used to work at one and he made Team Rocket Grunt shirts for us all, they're really nice quality :B

The wigs you can get from sites like these (Under spoiler tag to save space, I included personal reviews from places I've bought from)
Cosplaywig on eBay
I have bought five wigs from them, including the Lightning wig I'm wearing in my signature picture. Their fibers are usually a smooth but not silky soft grade because they have heat resistant wigs. The fibers photograph nicely and do not get brassy and they are comfortable to wear. The interior wig cap is about 22-24inches I'd say.
greatarchy09
I bought the Long wave 90cm pink cosplay wig from this seller and the quality is really pretty, I loved the style of the bangs, the wig cap fit very nicely, but the fibers are not silky soft. Comfortable and cute but also heat resistant so a little stiffer.
kasou06308
Wigs are pricy but the seller is extremely personable and fabulous with communication. You pretty much get the wig as pictured. If you want a style and color you can't quite find elsewhere but she sells one just how you need, the price is pretty much worth it.
Arda Wigs
Arda Wigs is like, a Go-To every cosplayer has heard of them and most cosplayers have bought from them sort of company. They have good customer service, pretty good wig styles to choose from, a gallery full of customer photos wearing their wigs, and they're just pretty much rather fabulous. I have not bought a wig from them YET but I really do want to. Their wigs are all pretty much at least $30 though, but you buy quality, reliability, brand name, and thickness. Arda Wigs are known for great wig fiber thickness and their wig cap sizes can accommodate larger heads or cosplayers who have a lot of hair to cover up.
Gothic Lolita Wigs
I just adore GLW wigs, the quality and colors are lovely and they're for daily use so pretty much everyone adores how soft and pretty they are. I haven't bought any yet because they're pricey and the ones I want are currently out of stock and no note on when they'll be back :s
MatchWigs
Fairly new wig seller, but they have good prices and a somewhat varied selection. They are incredibly friendly and they put up new wigs fairly often so it's good to check back every so often. I'd like to order from them at some time in the future so I can see for myself their quality but they use the same fibers as Arda Wigs so they're quite safe.
Epic Cosplay
US based wig site. They have a wide selection but I've not ordered from them before...Personally I think they're a little too expensive and I don't like the mannequin heads they use or their site layout and stock photos so I just tend to avoid them, but there are a good number of regulars in the cosplay forum that swear by Epic's quality. Not to mention super fast shipping since they're local (sorry if you're not in the US, I tend to just assume people are in the US <xD)
The Five Wits
I heard about them when they were recommended a few times in the cosplay forum. I have not ordered from them before but they do seem to have a good handful of nice wigs.

Other than that, there's also just searching on eBay and letting jesus take the wheel, so to speak. I've bought about six wigs just searching on eBay and I've been lucky in that they've all been nice or good enough quality (though sometimes a bit thin). I've bought wigs for $9 and $10 that were nice and I wore while at school on several occasions and sometimes people would remark "I like the way you did your hair" so cheap wigs aren't always a bad thing either.

For Aradia's skirt, you could probably just look around at Goodwill or Salvation Army or even better at a Ross or TJ Max to check out their long skirts. If you felt adventurous you could even try to burn holes into the bottom like Dead Aradia's skirt (though you'll have to do your own research on how to do that, I've heard people use water to control the burning, like wetting the cloth and then burning it so the flames don't consume the whole skirt).

Terezi I've always seen in skinny jeans, pretty simple to pick up jeans and pants in black or other dark colors at most any store that has clothes. Terezi's glasses could be an issue though, I'd recommend the http://homestuckcosplayhelp.tumblr.com/ for better tips about glasses and horns and body paint and all other needs.

Speaking of body paint, the common suggestions are Ben Nye and Snazzaroo. AND ALWAYS BUY SEALER SPRAY AND POWDER. Seriously, people will hate you if you rub off grey body paint onto them or furniture or other things. To use less paint people have made arm sleeves out of light grey leggings, I'd suggest looking for tutorials. If you google it or check out Deviantart you'll find what you need.

Horns are usually made from model magic and set on a headband. Some Have gotten creative using strong magnets or in drilling screws into their horns so they can put on the headband, then the wig, then top on the horns or screw them in. Terezi has somewhat small horns so the magnets could work for her, or screws even, but Aradia horns can be quite difficult.
I would also suggest using Kryolan makeup. I use it for Vriska and it works really well so I would definitely recommend it. Just make sure you use sealer, because it can come off rather easily if you tend to sweat a lot like I do.

Steadfast Lunatic

8,900 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Timid 100
Seraphic_Utau12
Sooo, I was thinking of doing a cosplay from Homestuck buut, I'm trying to think of how to do it... I want to be either Terezi or Aradia, but I've never really made my own cosplay outfit so does anyone have idea for how I should make it?? sweatdrop

Hey, I don't want to step on any toes, but be warned that homestuck is ridiculously popular cosplay. There were at least 50 trolls at Sacanime.
homestuckcosplayhelp.tumblr.com <<< I've used this website for all of my homestuck cosplays. It provides information for cosplays on budgets and cosplays for AU's and EVERYTHING

Wealthy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
glomps
homestuckcosplayhelp.tumblr.com <<< I've used this website for all of my homestuck cosplays. It provides information for cosplays on budgets and cosplays for AU's and EVERYTHING

Thank you, this is super helpful!! Also, how in the world did you get your avatar to look like that????

Wealthy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Decisions In Absentia
Seraphic_Utau12

Hey, I don't want to step on any toes, but be warned that homestuck is ridiculously popular cosplay. There were at least 50 trolls at Sacanime.

Yeah, I know, there are so many fans *.* But it just seems like so much fun...

Wealthy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
ChocoboxDreamer
I would also suggest using Kryolan makeup. I use it for Vriska and it works really well so I would definitely recommend it. Just make sure you use sealer, because it can come off rather easily if you tend to sweat a lot like I do.

Thank you, I will check it out!
Verizon Glasses Classic Purple Bowling Shoes Imaginary Friend 2nd Gen Sharktooth Charcoal Turtleneck Sweater Enchanted Book 6th Gen. Gold Promise Ring Dutiful Butler's Blue Pants Aquarius Mood Bubble
Seraphic_Utau12
glomps

Thank you, this is super helpful!! Also, how in the world did you get your avatar to look like that????

What in particular would you like to know about my avatar? like all the items?
Enchanted Book 9th Gen. Maleficent Seven Dark Head Fins Mizuchi's Jewel
sorry it would let me put all of my items all in one post, i think that just about covers it. there also a dark elf potion that i used so i can not display it. i hope that answers your question

Wealthy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
glomps
sorry it would let me put all of my items all in one post, i think that just about covers it. there also a dark elf potion that i used so i can not display it. i hope that answers your question

Thanks, that is so cool how you put that together! :33

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games