Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Businessman

For Metrocon this year I plan on cosplay Hope Estheim, oviosuly. <3 c:
HOWEVER, I have the costume and his wig down, But my concern is his weapon.
I don;t 100% NEED his weapon, considering this is the first time ill be doing him and I can make it another time, But I thought it would be cool and it would make me stand out.~
Here is a reference.~
User Image

I want to make it so it's not flat, but has some volume with it. If that makes sense.
People have told me to use expandable Foam, but i havn't been able to find it anywhere.
So any suggestions?
c:

User Image

You can get expandable foam at a lot
of places that sell home improvement type
things. Like Lowe's and even Walmart.
You just got to be careful because sometimes
the foam is squishy whenever it expands,
so you'll need some kind of base such as
foam board, wood, wonderflex, etc, to which
you put the foam on. You may want to
have a base even if the foam hardens.

Shirtless Businessman

Absit Invidia

User Image

You can get expandable foam at a lot
of places that sell home improvement type
things. Like Lowe's and even Walmart.
You just got to be careful because sometimes
the foam is squishy whenever it expands,
so you'll need some kind of base such as
foam board, wood, wonderflex, etc, to which
you put the foam on. You may want to
have a base even if the foam hardens.

I will definitely look more next time i got walmart, etc.
Roughly how much would it be for a can?
And how many do you Think I would need?
I wouldn't have a ton of money to spend on this, considering the costume was well over 100$. :U

Would the foam be carve able after it hardened? That's my main concern.
I've heard that it will, But I'm still questioning it.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
If you can't find the foam, or if it proves irritating to work with, you could always try making it with Model Magic. A lot of people have used it for armor and weapons. It is really easy to work with and hardens very nicely. All you would need to do, if you so desire of course, is add a layer of primer on it so it does not crack or get weathered, thus it will last longer.

Currently Questing:
Maleficent Seven User Image
28k/160k+
Latest Donator: Sick Fantasies ~ Black Sheep eek heart

User Image

It varies in price.
I've used a couple of different kinds
and they were always around 7 to 8 bucks
a can. I can't tell how big the weapon is,
so I can't tell you for sure how many cans
you'll need. Plus, it depends on
the kind of foam. Different brands expand
different amounts. The can will specify how
much it expands (like, doubles, triples, etc.)
The can should also say how much
there is in it in yards/feet/meters, etc.
So I'd say just figure up your dimensions
and then whenever you find some that you
want, get as many as you need based
on your dimensions and how much is in
the can.

Although I've never personally carved
expandable foam, you definitely can
since that's how it's used in home
improvement jobs (since that's what
it is made for).

Shirtless Businessman

@Ithlia - That's actually a good idea. xD Havn't thought of that. How much would that cost though? Though im familiar with model magic, I don't know much about it. And since I would have to paint it, I was gonna add another layer of maybe papermache and masking tape to make it even, and to provide a smooth structure.

@Absit Invidia - Thats actually not bad for a price, considering I'd need maybe 2-3 cans at most. hopefully. True. I didn't realize that it's MADE more carving. xD Woops. Ive looked at wall-mart online and they have something that seems like it's expandable foam, but they didn't have much info about it. Time to go to the store. = w=

Girl-Crazy Capitalist

ALASKANmuffins
@Ithlia - That's actually a good idea. xD Havn't thought of that. How much would that cost though? Though im familiar with model magic, I don't know much about it. And since I would have to paint it, I was gonna add another layer of maybe papermache and masking tape to make it even, and to provide a smooth structure.

I think I bought a tub of model magic that was like two pounds (maybe more?) for about $20 from Michael's. Bags of about 8oz usually can run up to $6 or $10 depending where you buy it around where I live. Model Magic isn't the cheapest of air dry clay, but it's super lightweight. I haven't made large actual props from it, but I did use it to smooth out the edges of a sword. If you were to use it with the boomerang, I would suggest getting like 3/4" thick foamboard and cutting it out to maybe use as a base and then using Model Magic to flesh out the weapon, if that makes sense? ;;

Model Magic itself can be sanded down after it's been left to dry out properly c: (Though there's quite a bit of dust~)
When I used it on my sword, after I was done sanding it, I just used a spray-on primer I got from Michael's, then painted the rest of my sword with metalic spray, then detailed in hand-painted acrylic. MM doesn't seem to absorb paint too much, you probably wouldn't need to go to all the trouble of paper mache to smooth it out, but it make be useful if you know how to work paper mache more c:

Shirtless Businessman

Milady Alluca
ALASKANmuffins

I think I bought a tub of model magic that was like two pounds (maybe more?) for about $20 from Michael's. Bags of about 8oz usually can run up to $6 or $10 depending where you buy it around where I live. Model Magic isn't the cheapest of air dry clay, but it's super lightweight. I haven't made large actual props from it, but I did use it to smooth out the edges of a sword. If you were to use it with the boomerang, I would suggest getting like 3/4" thick foamboard and cutting it out to maybe use as a base and then using Model Magic to flesh out the weapon, if that makes sense? ;;

Model Magic itself can be sanded down after it's been left to dry out properly c: (Though there's quite a bit of dust~)
When I used it on my sword, after I was done sanding it, I just used a spray-on primer I got from Michael's, then painted the rest of my sword with metalic spray, then detailed in hand-painted acrylic. MM doesn't seem to absorb paint too much, you probably wouldn't need to go to all the trouble of paper mache to smooth it out, but it make be useful if you know how to work paper mache more c:

Oh geez this is gonna take me quite a bit of skill and patience. x wx
My main concern is the fact that I have no idea if ill have the funds to get all the stuff. Though its not expensive, I have to still pay for other convention costs, and some finishing touches for my cosplays. ; w;
Now that i have an idea though on how to make it, this will be kinda fun. o uo;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces