Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which one?

Colossalcon foo. 0.36363636363636 36.4% [ 4 ]
Otakon! Otakon! 0.36363636363636 36.4% [ 4 ]
...Gold. I just want the gold. 0.27272727272727 27.3% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 11 ]

Lonely Lover

"I am PKMN Trainer Jason."

So I'm torn between Colossalcon and Otakon.
Why?
Simply because of cosplays and friends. (And money. xD)

Colossalcon (Sandusky, OH; June 7-10)

Pros: I get to see my friends Jon, Josh, and Ana again, it would cost me less to go (gas-wise and badge-wise) as it's a three hour drive for me, and I can easily get myself a hotel room near the con. Even better, I get to get away from babysitting for a few days (I babysit the whole three months of vacation. Agh.)

Negs: I most likely won't have my Jonathan Ariga (Catherine) and Kakashi (Naruto) cosplays done by then (and I'd really like to have multiple cosplays... I'm new to all this so I only have my one Undertaker one), I won't be able to meet up with my 'distant cousin', and our plan to go to Otakon as the cast from Catherine will crash and burn until (maybe) next year.

Otakon (Baltimore, MD; July 27-29)

Pros: I should have my cosplays of Johnathan and Kakashi ready to go, I get to see my 'distant cousin' and do the Catherine cast idea, and I get to meet a fellow Gaian, (She'll be with some Pokemon fans [which is even better for me, since I love Pokemon] and I was planning on scaring them while wearing my Kakashi cosplay. XD), and then I get to travel more! Yaaaay. /Loves traveling out onto highways.

Negs: I've totaled the price, and with my whole family going, gas, badges, cosplays, and hotel room totals to close to 800... Hurhur. It's a four to five hour drive, and I have to drag everyone along, which means I have two little midgets to watch around the con, and I don't really want to miss out on anything I'd like to see because they're too young for even a 13+ panel.

/End ranting.
So, what do you guys think I should do? =w=''

"Would you care to battle?"

Blessed Codger

Ehh. I WOULD have said Otakon until you mentioned the littl'uns.

Don't get me wrong, it's actually a ton of fun to have kids around and see the awe on their little faces/they make everything more interesting anyway. 4laugh

But with the cost and exhaustion I would associate with the trip as a whole, you may just want to take the easier route until you've been to a lot of cons and can say, "All right, I've had my fun. Come, children!"

So ultimately, I guess you'd have a more intense experience with the stress of coordinating all those people (cosplays and friends included), but the other side of that is you'll be totally exhausted. ^^;

Does that make any sense...?

Lonely Lover

Viviane_neechan

Bwhaha. They're twelve, but act like they're in six, so that's why I don't wanna drag them with me. =w=
But I see what you're getting at... Mind you, they're not MY kids. XD They're my siblings.
Either way. So you say Otakon?

Durem Vampire

9,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
Axlias

Here's my opinion on what you should do. Money is going to be a huge factor when going to a convention. Thank of how much you make based on your "job" (yes, it's still considered a job by adult standards.) If you work the day of the convention, you can't just bail out on it - you'll have to plan ahead and arrange your schedule.

As for who you go with, that's another issue. If you have young ones to tag along with, then - and I'm assuming that Otakon still does this - you can always drop them off at the Ota-chan room - an activity center for little kids and they can have fun while you do what you want during the day.

Another issue with little children is that they really do need to go to bed at a specific time - children do require more sleep than most adults gets. So if you're going to an 18+ Panel and then heading to bed in your hotel room, are you going to wake them up? Are they heavy-enough sleepers that they won't hear you when come into the room?

Another issue is going to be how you behave at the convention. If you spend time with your friends, go out for dinner, and have a safe, good time - you're going to be more relaxed than if you have kids along. Young kids are still impressionable, so what that means if you drink alcohol - assuming you're legal age - and make a scene because you had too much alcohol, what are those kids going to think? Now, if you had the kids with you, chances are dinner is going to be loud and confusing until the kids eat, but you'd have to be careful where you go because not only do you have to be good in front of them, but they can't be witnessing con goers getting s**t-faced plastered.

Just some things to think about. There's probably more stuff I missed, but hopefully some ideas and answers will pop up.

User Image

I'd say ColossalCon.
You get to see more people,
it's cheaper, and you won't have the
hassle of children.
It'll be more like a vacation than it
sounds like Otakon will be for you.
Plus ColossalCon's a blast.

Lonely Lover

Hannah Yeager

None of these really apply to me as my mom's coming with us since I'm under the age of eighteen... XD
But I doubt she'l walk around Otakon with the kids,
Which is why I said I'd prolly have to drag them around.

Oh well. Thanks for the tips. razz

Durem Vampire

9,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
Axlias

I see. Well, assuming Otakon still does it, she can always drop the kids off at the Ota-chan room and let them have supervised fun while she does what she wants.

If Otakon no longer does Ota-chan, then it would be best to go to Colossalcon. That way, there's less people you have to deal with.

Lonely Lover

Hannah Yeager

Alright. Thank you. biggrin

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
I am your "distant cousin" so I say you go to Otakon.

MUAHAHAH!!!

Plus I have never been to Colossalcon so I can't vouch for how spectacular it is. However, I have been to Otakon five times, six this year, and I can definitely say it is well worth the money and the drive 3nodding

Currently Questing:
Maleficent Seven User Image
28k/160k+
Latest Donator: Sick Fantasies ~ Black Sheep eek heart

Blessed Codger

Axlias
Viviane_neechan

Bwhaha. They're twelve, but act like they're in six, so that's why I don't wanna drag them with me. =w=
But I see what you're getting at... Mind you, they're not MY kids. XD They're my siblings.
Either way. So you say Otakon?

Well at the BEGINNING of my post I was rooting for Collossalcon, but...yeah. biggrin Otakon.

We've taken my little brother (who is about their age) to Otakon the past few years, and it's been very cool (of course, he's pretty mature for his age).

And Ithlia's right--it truly is an awesome convention. ^^ I've never been to the other one, but I can tell you with certainty that Otakon rocks my socks.

Lonely Lover

Viviane_neechan

Well the poll has it tied.
I'll end this mid-June so...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers