Welcome to Gaia! ::

my cousins and i are planning to go to a con awhile from now and i was planning on cosplaying as yuki from vampire knight. However, i just kinda noticed that anytime anyone brings up vampire knight they get bashed for liking it sad soo, my question is if i cosplay yuki will everyone be mean to me? usually im the type of person to not care what everyone thinks of me, but everytime i think about it i get really nervous, so i thought maybe asking about it would help lol (sorry if i wasted your time sweatdrop )

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Sharikun
my cousins and i are planning to go to a con awhile from now and i was planning on cosplaying as yuki from vampire knight. However, i just kinda noticed that anytime anyone brings up vampire knight they get bashed for liking it sad soo, my question is if i cosplay yuki will everyone be mean to me? usually im the type of person to not care what everyone thinks of me, but everytime i think about it i get really nervous, so i thought maybe asking about it would help lol (sorry if i wasted your time sweatdrop )

Honestly...I'm not even into the show, but I notice that there are a LOT of cosplayers from it. Usually at cons people are generally very courteous to you. Sure, they may say things behind your back but...that happens in every day life anyway, so there is no point in worrying.

From what I gather, there is actually quite a large fan base for the show, so I don't feel that you need to worry about cosplaying from it ^_^
Ithlia
Sharikun

Honestly...I'm not even into the show, but I notice that there are a LOT of cosplayers from it. Usually at cons people are generally very courteous to you. Sure, they may say things behind your back but...that happens in every day life anyway, so there is no point in worrying.

From what I gather, there is actually quite a large fan base for the show, so I don't feel that you need to worry about cosplaying from it ^_^

youre right, people have said things behind my back before and it didnt bother me, so why should it now? thank you so much for helping me get my confidence back! biggrin youre awesome yum_puddi

Fashionable Genius

6,700 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Oh goodnees when I read stuff Like this I get a bit downhearted. Yes there are people that will bash what other like but at conventions you're more likely to find peopl who share your interests thant attackt them. Yes every now and again there will be that one doofus that heckles you but ignore them. they want you to get mad. If you get mad and lash out at them they can show people in a public setting and use the ever famous line of "this is why that fandom is bad."
My point being don't listen to what other people say about your costume. If you are happy and having a good time that's all that matters wink
EApoe666
Oh goodnees when I read stuff Like this I get a bit downhearted. Yes there are people that will bash what other like but at conventions you're more likely to find peopl who share your interests thant attackt them. Yes every now and again there will be that one doofus that heckles you but ignore them. they want you to get mad. If you get mad and lash out at them they can show people in a public setting and use the ever famous line of "this is why that fandom is bad."
My point being don't listen to what other people say about your costume. If you are happy and having a good time that's all that matters wink

I second this! We cosplay not for others, but because we love the character!
If they don't like it, then they can simply walk the other direction.
Generally no as cosplay conventions are places of gathering for people who share the common interest of anime/manga/videogames that we all know and love.

For a cosplayer, it takes guts to do it in front of other people which is something that should be respected.

However the only solid reason why anyone would publicly bash is due to either someone's outlandish behavior in thinking they're all high mighty or if they were bashing someone else. Essentially play nice with others and they will play nice with you.

But in relation to your concerns, it due to how overly done the cosplay is like the big three being Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. However don't pay attention to such bad mouthing people. If you like the character then that's all that should matter.

Just remember that modesty and politeness is a good policy and you'll be fine.

I hope this helped.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Sharikun
Ithlia
Sharikun

youre right, people have said things behind my back before and it didnt bother me, so why should it now? thank you so much for helping me get my confidence back! biggrin youre awesome yum_puddi

No problem ^_^ I'm glad I could help <3 Always remember that there will usually be more friendly people at cons than rude ones.
thank you everyone, this helped alot and i feel so much better about it now :3 you're all so nice =)

Girl-Crazy Capitalist

Everyone else already said such good supportive things, I completely agree with them.
To be honest, I myself am not a fan of Vampire Knight but if I saw a VK cosplayer that did a good job, I would still ask them for a photo and compliment them because it's nice to be kind and courteous and appreciative of your fellow cosplayers and congoers~
Conventions are really not always as scary as horror stories or bad experience stories can make it out. Most people just want to have fun with everyone else all in the same place, and it's rather rare that someone will be mean or rude to your face. If anything, cosplay is like sonar to find fellow fans of what you're cosplaying!

I know Vampire Knight doesn't quite get good feedback online, especially from Gaia, but if you like it and want to cosplay Yuki, girl you cosplay the heck out of her. Cosplay is about making yourself happy, and when you look good and feel happy with yourself, it's the best feeling in the world~

What I would suggest is to get to work on your cosplay to make sure it looks as good as it can. Look to invest in a good wig, look up lots of reference images of the outfit you want to wear to either help with constructing it yourself (as well as finding proper patterns) or find yourself a good commissioner via cosplay.com, or if you think it looks good find a cosplay site that sells the outfit you want to cosplay. Also look up tutorials on the props and the like, I remember seeing someone's tutorial for how to make their own uniform buttons. Have fun with it c:

I also keep a quick list of some wig websites you may want to check out, Arda especially c:
Wig Places:
eBay - Cosplaywig on eBay
I have bought five wigs from them, including the Lightning wig I'm wearing in my signature picture. Their fibers are usually a smooth but not silky soft grade because they have heat resistant wigs. The fibers photograph nicely and do not get brassy and they are comfortable to wear. The interior wig cap is about 22-24inches I'd say.
Arda Wigs
If a wig you like from Arda says out of stock or sold out, just check their restock page frequently to see when it will be coming back in stock.
Arda Wigs is like, a Go-To every cosplayer has heard of them and most cosplayers have bought from them sort of company. They have good customer service, pretty good wig styles to choose from, a gallery full of customer photos wearing their wigs, and they're just pretty much rather fabulous. I have not bought a wig from them YET but I really do want to. Their wigs are all pretty much at least $30 though, but you buy quality, reliability, brand name, and thickness. Arda Wigs are known for great wig fiber thickness and their wig cap sizes can accommodate larger heads or cosplayers who have a lot of hair to cover up.
Gothic Lolita Wigs
I just adore GLW wigs, the quality and colors are lovely and they're for daily use so pretty much everyone adores how soft and pretty they are. I haven't bought any yet because they're pricey and the ones I want are currently out of stock and no note on when they'll be back :s
MatchWigs
Fairly new wig seller, but they have good prices and a somewhat varied selection. They are incredibly friendly and they put up new wigs fairly often so it's good to check back every so often. I'd like to order from them at some time in the future so I can see for myself their quality but they use the same fibers as Arda Wigs so they're quite safe.
eBay - greatarchy09
I bought the Long wave 90cm pink cosplay wig from this seller and the quality is really pretty, I loved the style of the bangs, the wig cap fit very nicely, but the fibers are not silky soft. Comfortable and cute but also heat resistant so a little stiffer.
eBay - kasou06308
Wigs are pricy but the seller is extremely personable and fabulous with communication. You pretty much get the wig as pictured. If you want a style and color you can't quite find elsewhere but she sells one just how you need, the price is pretty much worth it.
Epic Cosplay
US based wig site. They have a wide selection but I've not ordered from them before...Personally I think they're a little too expensive and I don't like the mannequin heads they use or their site layout and stock photos so I just tend to avoid them, but there are a good number of regulars in the cosplay forum that swear by Epic's quality. Not to mention super fast shipping since they're local (sorry if you're not in the US, I tend to just assume people are in the US <xD)

Liberal Fatcat

Hey, everyone thats cosplaying is likely to be a character from some series that another cosplayer just doesnt like. Everyone has different tastes, its a fact of life. But, if you like the character and you want to cosplay that character, what's stopping you? You dont cosplay just to make others happy, you cosplay because you're a fan of the show, you love the character and you want to have fun being the character for at least a few hours. That's all. Cons are very accepting events and its very very very very very unlikely you'll have people be upfront and bash you for liking a series that they dont like. And those that do? Those are just the idiot jerks that believe that they're hot s**t and no one else's cosplay could compare with theirs in a million years. Ignore them. Just go in there with your favorite cosplay and a smile on your face, and be prepared to have fun. :3
thank you guys for the encouragement :3 and the wig sites were a really big help! im hoping to order a wig from arda biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games