Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm going to outright say it. I'm a freaking noob at cosplay. I've never had a reason or chance to do it until now. So I am asking for some help. I am not very good at constructing cosplays or anything to wear for that matter. So I want to buy a costume. Would it be better to just buy a high quality costume then make it since I couldn't do that to save my life. I'm reading this back and its sounding really stupid but I don't want people pointing and saying "he's lazy. He just bought his while I spent a year on mine." I'm thinking of doing a Madara Uchiha cosplay as my very first one. Not the Tobi one but past madara during the time the village was founded. Also any recommendations on how I might go about making that war fan of his as that seems to be the only piece I can't find online. Some good quality help would be greatly appreciated and please no one post hateful stuff.

Blessed Codger

My recommendation: You may care to post ref pics of the character AND prop of which you speak. 3nodding

And from participating in other threads in this forum, I think I can say that the consensus is this: there is no shame in buying your cosplay. As long as you put in effort and the resources you have available, nobody in their right mind will judge you.

The decision on whether to buy or to make is really a question of how involved YOU want to be with your cosplay.

Personally, I get more out of conventions when I slave over my costume for several months beforehand, but getting to a point where you can make something good requires a lot of trial and error, and it takes awhile.

But you can always decide to learn that skill in the future. 3nodding The beauty of it is that there will always be more cons, so even if you buy a few cosplays on the way, you can make masterpieces next year.
Viviane_neechan
My recommendation: You may care to post ref pics of the character AND prop of which you speak. 3nodding

And from participating in other threads in this forum, I think I can say that the consensus is this: there is no shame in buying your cosplay. As long as you put in effort and the resources you have available, nobody in their right mind will judge you.

The decision on whether to buy or to make is really a question of how involved YOU want to be with your cosplay.

Personally, I get more out of conventions when I slave over my costume for several months beforehand, but getting to a point where you can make something good requires a lot of trial and error, and it takes awhile.

But you can always decide to learn that skill in the future. 3nodding The beauty of it is that there will always be more cons, so even if you buy a few cosplays on the way, you can make masterpieces next year.

User Image
This is the character. The prop is on his back.

User Image
This is the prop's appearance in the source material which more what I am going for.

I thank you for your wisdom. I've heard of several bad costumes and I don't want mine to be like that so I don't want to make due to my lack of skill so luckily my job allows me just enough money to afford some of the higher quality stuff though not the super high quality stuff. *shivers at the prices* Basically though with this one I can find a decent set for the clothes and a pretty good wig but the fan seems to come up in short supply. I wouldn't mind going without it but its pretty much an identifying piece of this character as he is rarely seen without it and I just don't know how or where to begin to try and make it.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
If you feel that you don't have the skills to match your standards for cosplay, then by all means purchase one! There is no shame in doing that 3nodding Just be weary of the websites you buy from and look up some reviews.

You can also find a commissioner to make it for you as well. They can usually be found on either cosplay.com's forums, or you can look on the forums of any convention you go to.

As for the fan, there are probably tutorials. I would recommend getting some sort of wooden pole, then make the design from fabric and attach it to the pole with some strings. I would have to see the fan from different angles though to be certain of the best way to go about making it.

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
Latest Donator: Anonymous Benefactor ~ Henri the Poodle eek heart
->My Quest Thread<-

Ithlia
If you feel that you don't have the skills to match your standards for cosplay, then by all means purchase one! There is no shame in doing that 3nodding Just be weary of the websites you buy from and look up some reviews.

You can also find a commissioner to make it for you as well. They can usually be found on either cosplay.com's forums, or you can look on the forums of any convention you go to.

As for the fan, there are probably tutorials. I would recommend getting some sort of wooden pole, then make the design from fabric and attach it to the pole with some strings. I would have to see the fan from different angles though to be certain of the best way to go about making it.

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

Hmm there's a thought. I'm looking around more and more and actually finding that I may have to bite the bullet and find a way to make it myself as the costume I keep on finding isn't quite the one I had in mind. Maybe I can get my mom to help me. If she will. As for the fan i honestly wish I could show you more angels. There is only about a handful of it in the actual series and that is the only colored version.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Kazemaru Shichijo
Ithlia

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

Hmm there's a thought. I'm looking around more and more and actually finding that I may have to bite the bullet and find a way to make it myself as the costume I keep on finding isn't quite the one I had in mind. Maybe I can get my mom to help me. If she will. As for the fan i honestly wish I could show you more angels. There is only about a handful of it in the actual series and that is the only colored version.
Understandable!

I honestly would say go for trying to make it yourself! It's a really, somewhat simple, cosplay to start out with as your first. There isn't an extreme amount of detail that needs to be focused on, but there is enough to challenge yourself. 3nodding And if your mom can help out, that would be really awesome too!

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

Ithlia
Kazemaru Shichijo
Ithlia

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

Understandable!

I honestly would say go for trying to make it yourself! It's a really, somewhat simple, cosplay to start out with as your first. There isn't an extreme amount of detail that needs to be focused on, but there is enough to challenge yourself. 3nodding And if your mom can help out, that would be really awesome too!

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

I guess I'm glad that my favorite Naruto character doesn't have a super elaborate design now. smile I suppose Lowe's would be a good place to look for supplies no? That would be my last question. I know where to get games and electronics but costumes and arts and crafts I am one cent short of a full dollar. lol.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Kazemaru Shichijo
Ithlia
Kazemaru Shichijo
Ithlia

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

Understandable!

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

I guess I'm glad that my favorite Naruto character doesn't have a super elaborate design now. smile I suppose Lowe's would be a good place to look for supplies no? That would be my last question. I know where to get games and electronics but costumes and arts and crafts I am one cent short of a full dollar. lol.
Well, I usually find supplies and what not at Walmart, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Michaels, and you can get stuff at Lowe's. If I can't find something in a store, I also look online 3nodding

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
103k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

Ithlia

Thank God. There are a few of those close by my house. Time for some summer shopping. smile Thanks for all the advice and help. I have to admit you are one of the nicer people that have responded to one of my threads as of late. I thank you for that.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Kazemaru Shichijo
Ithlia

Thank God. There are a few of those close by my house. Time for some summer shopping. smile Thanks for all the advice and help. I have to admit you are one of the nicer people that have responded to one of my threads as of late. I thank you for that.
Haha I wish Jo-Ann Fabrics were closer to my house emo

And no problem! I'm glad I could help you heart

Currently Questing:
Happy Melody User Image
112k/675k+
->My Quest Thread<-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items