Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been working out for a while to get rid of my annoyingly feminine hourglass figure, and I figure the best way to show it off is by cosplaying Judal. I need a little help with a couple of things, though.

Question one: How do I get that balled-up hair look. I've heard it suggested to get an extremely long wig and get the fluff in by backbrushing the hair into balls, or by coating styrofoam balls in hair, but I'd like to hear if there's a better way out there.
    Bonus: Is there a way to get the ponytail to attach to another wig without significantly altering it? I already have one that would work perfectly, but I don't want it to become useless for other cosplays.

Question two: Bangles and necklace. I have no idea what to do for the gold parts of the jewelry, especially how to make it fit. If anyone could suggest places to find a red gem for the center, that would be fantastic.

Question three: Barefootedness. I'd really like to avoid walking around without shoes. Simple question here: should I go for flip flops or some kind of black fabric slip-on shoe thing?

Ref:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
llafatyu
I've been working out for a while to get rid of my annoyingly feminine hourglass figure, and I figure the best way to show it off is by cosplaying Judal. I need a little help with a couple of things, though.

Question one: How do I get that balled-up hair look. I've heard it suggested to get an extremely long wig and get the fluff in by backbrushing the hair into balls (which I think sounds bad), and by coating styrofoam balls in hair, but I'd like to hear if there's a better way out there.
    Bonus: Is there a way to get the ponytail to attach to another wig without significantly altering it? I already have one that would work perfectly, but I don't want it to become useless for other cosplays.

Question two: Bangles and necklace. I have no idea what to do for the gold parts of the jewelry, especially how to make it fit. If anyone could suggest ways to find a red gem for the center, that would be fantastic.

Question three: Barefootedness. I'd really like to avoid walking around without shoes. Simple question here: should I go for flip flops or some kind of black fabric slip-on shoe thing?

Ref:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wig:

You would get a clip-on ponytail that can attach and detach very easily. -pokes my pic in my siggy- That is a clip-on ponytail. As for the ball effect...you could honestly have to use some kind of ball to guide the hair over. In fact, you could paint it black so it isn't noticeable if the wig isn't around it. If you want it as large as the balls in his hair, you would probably need to buy black wefts to add volume to it. Or, you could go for a more natural look and do small balls. But I don't think there would be any other way to do the balls without having some round thing for the hair to sit on.

Jewelry

For his jewelry I believe there are actually official versions of it you can buy from a website. If you want to make it, I would honestly just find gold bracelets and necklaces that fit you and stack them. You could glue them together so they don't move if you want. As for the red gem, you could just buy a cheap one on eBay and glue it to the necklaces, but the necklaces would be stuck together if you did this. You could use model magic to create a flat surface to attach the gem on and have the model magic wrap around the necklace for security. Coat it in mod podge and then bondo so it becomes durable. Paint that metallic gold so it matches just in case it shows a little bit. Then glue the gem on.

Shoes

I would honestly just get black flip flops or nude colored ones. The black ones would match and the nude ones wouldn't be noticeable, so it is up to you. You could easily just kick them off for photos then put them back on, so I guess color doesn't really matter unless you don't want to take them off even for photos.
Ithlia
Wig:

You would get a clip-on ponytail that can attach and detach very easily. -pokes my pic in my siggy- That is a clip-on ponytail. As for the ball effect...you could honestly have to use some kind of ball to guide the hair over. In fact, you could paint it black so it isn't noticeable if the wig isn't around it. If you want it as large as the balls in his hair, you would probably need to buy black wefts to add volume to it. Or, you could go for a more natural look and do small balls. But I don't think there would be any other way to do the balls without having some round thing for the hair to sit on.

Jewelry

For his jewelry I believe there are actually official versions of it you can buy from a website. If you want to make it, I would honestly just find gold bracelets and necklaces that fit you and stack them. You could glue them together so they don't move if you want. As for the red gem, you could just buy a cheap one on eBay and glue it to the necklaces, but the necklaces would be stuck together if you did this. You could use model magic to create a flat surface to attach the gem on and have the model magic wrap around the necklace for security. Coat it in mod podge and then bondo so it becomes durable. Paint that metallic gold so it matches just in case it shows a little bit. Then glue the gem on.

Shoes

I would honestly just get black flip flops or nude colored ones. The black ones would match and the nude ones wouldn't be noticeable, so it is up to you. You could easily just kick them off for photos then put them back on, so I guess color doesn't really matter unless you don't want to take them off even for photos.

Do clip-ons attach firmly? I'm just worried that it'll be too heavy, and that the base (a sort of thinner wrapped thing, you can sort of see it in the reference) won't have enough surface area to hold firmly without warping the wig base in that one spot.

I don't think I'll be able to find enough identically-colored thick gold bracelets/necklaces to do that, but thanks for the suggestion.

Tipsy Lunatic

Just as Ithlia said, I would recommend a clip on attachment.

What I would do is paint a series of lightweight balls black, then cover them with wefts of wig fiber. This would all be attached to the white wrapper majig, the end of which would contain a clip or two, like weft clips, that snap open and closed and just attach to the tracks of the wig. All said, the whole ball braid hair piece should not be heavy enough that it could not be held onto the base wig, especially if you strategically pin the wig to your head, which you should do anyways just for stability insurance. Wigs can hold a surprising amount of weight. And then you could just unclip the braid when you wanted to use just the base.

I feel like I'm not explaining myself well, but yeah.

For the jewelry: craft foam. Make the basic shapes out of craft foam and then paint them metallic, or cover them in a layer of very very thin metal. The inside of the arm cuffs and the back of the choker would have small clasps. For the gem, if you're feeling REALLY really creative, you could experiment with resin casting, as shown here. Otherwise, just find a costume gem at a craft store, or ebay, or even toy stores, and attach it.

I'd recommend just wearing whatever shoes are most comfortable for you while also being easy to take off, and then just take them off for photos.

Golden Friend

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
llafatyu
Ithlia
Wig:

Jewelry

Shoes

Do clip-ons attach firmly? I'm just worried that it'll be too heavy, and that the base (a sort of thinner wrapped thing, you can sort of see it in the reference) won't have enough surface area to hold firmly without warping the wig base in that one spot.

I don't think I'll be able to find enough identically-colored thick gold bracelets/necklaces to do that, but thanks for the suggestion.

Clip ons do hold on firmly. In fact, my Yoko wig actually has the one stick going through it, so it isn't even attached as firmly as it could be, yet it stayed on all throughout Otakon without budging an inch ^^

And I understand, but even if you can't match them identically you could still paint them yourself. Just something to keep in mind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff