Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm trying to use Microsoft Word to type things for school, but when I try to type is says, "Cannot perform that function; document is locked for edit". It's been doing that ever since I installed my new motherboard and put in all the programs and such, and if I try to open an old thing that I did before this problem, I still get the same message. How can I "unlock" it? I can't even look through the Help section because it's not installed apparently.
Try reinstalling Word if you have the time. Maybe something got borked during the installation.
I've looked for it on the Win XP disc, but it isn't there and I don't want to accidentally format my computer. Could I get it from the mircosoft website?
Erm... Word comes with the MS Office program suite. Do you have your MS Office CD handy?
Eh, no, I don't think so. When my computer teacher installed my new motherboard he put in all that stuff himself, and I think he used the school disc for it. confused
You'd have to get ahold of that CD from him, and reinstall Office. Or, you could try OpenOffice.org office suite, as an alternative.
hmm, if its locked, then u probobaly need rights to do what u want?
Rights? I got the program legally, and as far as I know, Word doesn't require you to register. neutral
Its telling you that for some reason you don't have sufficent rights to edit that document, Which is what happens when you try to change someones protected documents.

But if it's a new document, Then somethings corrupted; Changing a Motherboard however shouldn't cause that to happen.
The only documents I've tried to edit are my own, so it'd make sense if it's corrupted.
You should try Repairing Microsoft Word.

Find your way to Add/Remove Programs and select Microsoft Word, A menu should appear asking you what you want to do; Select Repair.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff