Welcome to Gaia! ::

Uh-oh, I think I'm in a bit of trouble here. Oddly enough, I was trying to change my desktop wallpaper, which I do by right-clicking my desktop, clicking properties, going to the display tab, and changing from there. However, now when I right-click on my desktop, my computer halfway locks up. Explorer won't load up the right-click menu thing, and I have to log out to get all my functionality back.

Few things I've already tried is right-clicking elsewhere. I get no problems whenever I do it in My Documents or something like that. Also, I can get to Display by going to Start > Control Panel > Display. Even still, I have a habit of right-click on my desktop when I want to do certain things, and this is a bit of a worry. If part of explorer is dying, what's to say the rest won't crash out on me?

I'd really like some suggestions on things I can do to fix it. I'm using Windows XP Home, just so you know. Never had this problem before. Uhmm... let's see, I can't do a restore because I have system restore disabled (never worked for me in the past, anyways). I also cannot reformat. There are a few games installed that I wouldn't be able to play anymore if I did that, as I no longer have the install CDs, and that's a big no-no. surprised

Again, any suggestions on what I can do based on what you read above would be extremely helpful. I'm trying to make my computer last as long as I can before having to reformat (because of the games). Thank you in advance for any posts this thread gets.

Edit: Oh, I also forgot to mention that I have fully updated anti-virus, anti ad/spyware programs installed and scanned, no problems found, so chances are it's not a virus (but could be...).
do you have your desktop set to activex where you can set a webpage to your desktop?

might be something in that...kernel or explorer issue

but that's my 2 cents
Restart your pc in Safe Mode. then change your wallpaper and remove that image if you want.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff