Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Genius

This problem has been around for a while, but I thought it wasn't a big deal. Now it's starting to annoy me.

Whenever I go through my PC's files (My Pictures, My Computer, My Music, etc.) and try to right-click on anything, my computer lags for a half-second, and then an error message pops up on my screen saying that "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." I don't know if this is from a virus, but it only happens when I try to right-click on anything in my computer's files.

Is there any solution to this, or is this just an error in my PC?

Aged Werewolf

see if it occurs in safemode

if it still doing it in safemode then go to my computer -> highlight c: -> file -> properties -> tools -> check the hard drive for errors.
Get the Shell Extension Viewer. Disable extensions one by one until it stops crashing. When it stops, that means you've disabled the extension that is causing the problem.

I recommend uninstalling the offending program.

Dangerous Genius

psychic stalker
Get the Shell Extension Viewer. Disable extensions one by one until it stops crashing. When it stops, that means you've disabled the extension that is causing the problem.

So you're saying that it's an extension that's causing Windows Explorer to keep crashing?

Dangerous Genius

neodraconum

if it still doing it in safemode then go to my computer -> highlight c: -> file -> properties -> tools -> check the hard drive for errors.

Dumb question, but...

I don't know how to change to safe mode. How do I do so?

Friendly Bookworm

9,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
Melancholy Victory
neodraconum

Dumb question, but...

I don't know how to change to safe mode. How do I do so?

Restart your computer and as it's booting press F8 and you'll see a menu, pick safe mode from it smile

If you run into any issues doing this click this link, since I suck at explaining things. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

But honestly as long as you press F8 when your computer is starting, things will be fine.

Dangerous Genius

Chibi Alexis
Restart your computer and as it's booting press F8 and you'll see a menu, pick safe mode from it smile

If you run into any issues doing this click this link, since I suck at explaining things. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

But honestly as long as you press F8 when your computer is starting, things will be fine.

Oh, okay.

I'll probably try it in the morning, since I'm trying to do some pretty important stuff while trying to figure out this problem. If it persists, well... I'll use psychic stalker's advice.

Thanks for the help.
Melancholy Victory
psychic stalker

So you're saying that it's an extension that's causing Windows Explorer to keep crashing?
It's the most common cause, yes.

A lot of software you install ends up adding those extensions, and some of them are horrendously buggy.

Dangerous Genius

psychic stalker
It's the most common cause, yes.

A lot of software you install ends up adding those extensions, and some of them are horrendously buggy.

All right.

But what if none of my programs/extensions are causing the problem?

Dangerous Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
Have you recently installed a video player, codec..or perhaps a video converter?...

Dangerous Genius

psyco_bongun22
Have you recently installed a video player, codec..or perhaps a video converter?...

I installed a flash .swf flash to video converter a few months ago, but the problem only started about a month or two after I did that. Could that be it?

Dangerous Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
Melancholy Victory
I installed a flash .swf flash to video converter a few months ago, but the problem only started about a month or two after I did that. Could that be it?

try uninstalling it, reboot and see if the problem still persist..

Dangerous Genius

psyco_bongun22
try uninstalling it, reboot and see if the problem still persist..

I uninstalled it and restarted my computer. The problem's still there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff