Welcome to Gaia! ::

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Earlier last month the 2nd graphic card it has burned out basically malfunctioned. There's no use replacing it since its an MSi gaming laptop and many laptops cant be upgraded. This laptop was built in 2010 so its quite old. I dont have the money to replace it.

I've been scouring the internet for weeks now trying a find a way to resolve this error.
Everything I try doesnt work: burning/using a repair cd or the built in option for repair in my laptop.
I dont have the windows OS CD. I've even went so far as setting it to default settings as a last resort and of course it doesnt help. I dont know what else I can do.

EDIT
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

It mentioned a way to fix it was through a repair cd by checking the repair option. I downloaded one and burned it to a CD.
But then when I runs it says its unable to fix it :/
Root cause found
-----------------
Boot configuration corrupt

Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Failed. Error code =0x490

Went into command prompt and typed in bootrec.exe /FixMbr from the C: prompt it ran successfully. Restarted my laptop and I'm still running into the same error...

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

I'd just earn money and upgrade because if it's from 2010, Thats old.

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
WindowsRX

Its an old gaming laptop.
Like I said I dont have the money to buy a new one.
Laptops are like $1000 and up ): I dont have that kind of money emotion_sweatdrop

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

Cyclops Cutie
WindowsRX

Laptops are like $1000 and up ): I dont have that kind of money emotion_sweatdrop

That's why I said earn. Anti I got my laptop for 180$ at Best Buy and it has high specs.

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
WindowsRX
Cyclops Cutie
WindowsRX

That's why I said earn. Anti I got my laptop for 180$ at Best Buy and it has high specs.
Is it a gaming laptop?
I know you said you tried fixmbr, but try EVERYTHING in this MS post and tell me the results.

Especially tell me what happens when you do the /scanos.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

Cyclops Cutie
WindowsRX
Cyclops Cutie
WindowsRX

Is it a gaming laptop?

Yep smile

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
WindowsRX
Cyclops Cutie
WindowsRX
Cyclops Cutie
WindowsRX

Is it a gaming laptop?

Yep smile
Yeah right lol
The only way to get a laptop that cheap is if refurbished.
Looking through on the best buy site none of them are gaming laptops. Dont lie to me lol

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
L33t Pule Mants
I know you said you tried fixmbr, but try EVERYTHING in this MS post and tell me the results.

Alright, I'll try again later today and post the results.

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
L33t Pule Mants

Okay I just did it now.

/FixMbr-The operation completed successfully.

/Fixboot-The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

/ScanOs-Successfully scanned windows installations.
Total identified windows installation: 1
[1] C:Windows.oldWindows
The operation completed successfully.

/RebuildBcd-Successfully scanned windows installations.
Total identified windows installations: 1
Add installation to boot list? Yes [Y]/No [N]/All [A] I picked Yes
The operation completed successfully.

I haven't done the last option on the bottom yet though. The one that says "Use the Bootrec.exe tool to troubleshoot a "Bootmgr Is Missing" error. If rebuilding the BCD store doesn't resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD store and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD store is completely rebuilt. "

Newbie Noob

Just a question, your motherboard does have integrated graphics right? If the graphics card malfunctioned or burned out as you said, you still need something to display the graphics for the display. Problly a stupid thing to point out but just thought I would.

Now then, after you've tried everything to fix the issue I would like to suggest something.

Run safe mode with command prompt and change the location to c:

Run the chkdsk /r command in command prompt. This will run a "scan" and look for bad sectors on the disk, /r will attempt to recover the bad sectors that could be causing boot issues. You will more than likely lose the data on these bad sectors though.

--------

As stated above, you can also use the bootrec.exe command (in command prompt) in the Windows Recovery Environment ( Get there with a System repair disk/Windows OS disk)

Running every command listed in bootrec tool wouldn't be a bad idea but I'm mainly interested in the Rebuild BCD part of the tool.

What this does is it will rebuild your boot configuration data. Basically restoring it to it's defaults.

-------

My last solution, get a new computer or find parts compatible. Not every gaming PC costs a ton. Although they don't come cheap, you can build one yourself for around 400-500$ if you'd like a low end laptop/desktop. If you want it pre-built, a desktop can get around 500$ cheapest and a laptop can range from MAYBE 600-1000$. *Note: Knowing where to look, really helps. Some websites/companies over charge there stuff.

Now then, the cheaper alternative. Considering it's just a partition boot error and there isn't an issue with the graphics like I mentioned earlier, all you'd have to do would be to buy a new hard disk and operating system. A new hard disk can be like 30-50$ if you want a cheap one. Now the operating system can be a bit more pricey. They can range from 70-120$. Not sure the exact price as the OS type affects cost.

I know you mentioned it's an older PC so it's difficult to find parts but here me out here. Hard disks and Operating systems are usually compatible with everything. Even older machines. Just see if you can find something that would work and you can keep your old PC for 100$ cheapest.

If you go for the cheapest parts, it'll cost you 100$ to buy new parts. Although, you will lose all data you previously had on the hard disk.

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Daddeh
Just a question, your motherboard does have integrated graphics right? If the graphics card malfunctioned or burned out as you said, you still need something to display the graphics for the display. Problly a stupid thing to point out but just thought I would.

Now then, after you've tried everything to fix the issue I would like to suggest something.

Run safe mode with command prompt and change the location to c:

Run the chkdsk /r command in command prompt. This will run a "scan" and look for bad sectors on the disk, /r will attempt to recover the bad sectors that could be causing boot issues. You will more than likely lose the data on these bad sectors though.

--------

As stated above, you can also use the bootrec.exe command (in command prompt) in the Windows Recovery Environment ( Get there with a System repair disk/Windows OS disk)

Running every command listed in bootrec tool wouldn't be a bad idea but I'm mainly interested in the Rebuild BCD part of the tool.

What this does is it will rebuild your boot configuration data. Basically restoring it to it's defaults.

-------

My last solution, get a new computer or find parts compatible. Not every gaming PC costs a ton. Although they don't come cheap, you can build one yourself for around 400-500$ if you'd like a low end laptop/desktop. If you want it pre-built, a desktop can get around 500$ cheapest and a laptop can range from MAYBE 600-1000$. *Note: Knowing where to look, really helps. Some websites/companies over charge there stuff.

Now then, the cheaper alternative. Considering it's just a partition boot error and there isn't an issue with the graphics like I mentioned earlier, all you'd have to do would be to buy a new hard disk and operating system. A new hard disk can be like 30-50$ if you want a cheap one. Now the operating system can be a bit more pricey. They can range from 70-120$. Not sure the exact price as the OS type affects cost.

I know you mentioned it's an older PC so it's difficult to find parts but here me out here. Hard disks and Operating systems are usually compatible with everything. Even older machines. Just see if you can find something that would work and you can keep your old PC for 100$ cheapest.

If you go for the cheapest parts, it'll cost you 100$ to buy new parts. Although, you will lose all data you previously had on the hard disk.

The laptop has two graphic cards. The nivdia card died on me.
It still can use the Intel HD graphics as a back up though.

I'll try what you said though, I cant afford a new laptop nor a desktop computer.
I dont have a job and have been looking for one endlessly for a year now.
Cyclops Cutie
L33t Pule Mants

Okay I just did it now.

Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Did you try to reinstall Windows before? If yes, did it finish?
Does your laptop show you options for startup diagnostics? Try to look for a HDD diagnostics and let it run.

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
The20
Cyclops Cutie
L33t Pule Mants

Okay I just did it now.

Did you try to reinstall Windows before? If yes, did it finish?
Does your laptop show you options for startup diagnostics? Try to look for a HDD diagnostics and let it run.
You mean via a installion CD? No, but I did through recovery option my msi laptop carries. Startup diagnostics? I dont think so, what does that look like?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff