This poll closed on March 20, 2015.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
So once again, a decision on a whim to try some fancy new software has turned into an all-nighter before a school-day.

First was the issue of getting my prized data to my external drive.
How it went wrong: I found out my external drive is only USB1 compatible. It took around 3hrs to copy about 40gb.
Solution: I decided I don't place so much sentimental value on the rest of my data.

Then I thought, "It'd be good to reclaim as much space back as possible to give to a new partition for Win10, rather than 'upgrading' my perfectly-functioning Win7 installation". So I ran the disk cleanup wizard, which showed me I had 21gb in pagedump. Yep. 21gb worth of crashed apps, overloaded memory dumps, and improper shut-downs. So fixed that. Then went to check my available disk space, now sitting at around 100gb, which is cool, seeing as how I only really needed 30-50gb.
How it went wrong: Then I asked Disk Manager how much space I had available to shrink the volume. It said something like 20mb. s**t. What. Okay.
Solution? I disabled hibernation, deleted hibernation files. Downloaded PowerDefragmenter, and now have it running a triple-pass defrag' on my drive (since Windows lagged for 10mins when I even asked it to analyse the volume). Now... this has been running for around 20mins... hopefully it doesn't take all night, as I really want to play around with Win10 before I go to school.

Anyone else putting themself through similar pain?

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
******** it.

24hrs is quite enough troubleshooting time.

I'm installing over Windows7.

Wish me luck.

Dangerous Knife

This is why I don't try any new Windows OS's

The newer ones are terrible. I'm sticking with 7.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
cranium coccyx

To be fair, I was describing problems I was having with Win7 lol.

But yeah I never went for Win8, seemed like a mess. Win10 seems to be a nice blend of 7/8. Pretty much all the things I like from each one.

The only thing I've really found wrong with Win10 so far is some of the modern (Win8/store) apps for stuff crash occasionally. But it doesn't seem to be much of a big deal. I'm just going to go ahead and get everything on my computer into OneDrive before anything terrible happens. I still have a Win7 recovery partition if s**t gets real.

Dangerous Knife

BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

But yeah I never went for Win8, seemed like a mess. Win10 seems to be a nice blend of 7/8. Pretty much all the things I like from each one.

The only thing I've really found wrong with Win10 so far is some of the modern (Win8/store) apps for stuff crash occasionally. But it doesn't seem to be much of a big deal. I'm just going to go ahead and get everything on my computer into OneDrive before anything terrible happens. I still have a Win7 recovery partition if s**t gets real.

I don't trust Microsoft to be able to do anything right so whenever I see a new OS come along I expect there to be YouTube videos out there to give me insight on whether it's good or not.

I've noticed to be fair I'm glad they've removed the ugly app home thing. There are some things I'd rather not get used to though. When 7 is no longer being supported, I guess I can move to 10, although that's not for a while.

I do like the desktop advantages though. I have a three monitor setup, so I'm interested in how that's going to work rather than having to download a third-party tool to be able to multitask at a much easier rate.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

I don't trust Microsoft to be able to do anything right so whenever I see a new OS come along I expect there to be YouTube videos out there to give me insight on whether it's good or not.

I've noticed to be fair I'm glad they've removed the ugly app home thing. There are some things I'd rather not get used to though. When 7 is no longer being supported, I guess I can move to 10, although that's not for a while.

I do like the desktop advantages though. I have a three monitor setup, so I'm interested in how that's going to work rather than having to download a third-party tool to be able to multitask at a much easier rate.

Oh that's interesting to learn. I'm running on a laptop so that's not terribly relevant to me, but knowing that is interesting for when I do set up a towerPC again.

Also have you thought of shrinking your C drive by like 30-40gb and just trying the technical preview on it's own partition? This way you don't have to sacrifice your Win7 setup you love. Every time you boot your computer it'll just ask which OS you want to sign in to. I assume you know all this stuff I just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't thought of it.

Dangerous Knife

BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

Oh that's interesting to learn. I'm running on a laptop so that's not terribly relevant to me, but knowing that is interesting for when I do set up a towerPC again.

Also have you thought of shrinking your C drive by like 30-40gb and just trying the technical preview on it's own partition? This way you don't have to sacrifice your Win7 setup you love. Every time you boot your computer it'll just ask which OS you want to sign in to. I assume you know all this stuff I just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't thought of it.

I'm aware of it! I'm not interested as of right now though, it's still in very early development, and I don't want to sacrifice that space. Ironically I use multiple drives for my computer but I still don't want to sacrifice it!!! I'm just so greedy smile

I'll wait until more news comes along, most likely until after official release.

I'm not one to like to try new things, I've got everything setup how I want it, don't want to move everything around for 10 minutes of exploration when I can find that out on YouTube or other video sites.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

I'm aware of it! I'm not interested as of right now though, it's still in very early development, and I don't want to sacrifice that space. Ironically I use multiple drives for my computer but I still don't want to sacrifice it!!! I'm just so greedy smile

I'll wait until more news comes along, most likely until after official release.

I'm not one to like to try new things, I've got everything setup how I want it, don't want to move everything around for 10 minutes of exploration when I can find that out on YouTube or other video sites.

That's fair enough.

My problem is I'm far too curious for my own good. If something new is out there (especially if it's free) I like to get into it and learn all about it. It stops working in FEB anyway. Probably when they plan to do public release.

Dangerous Knife

BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

That's fair enough.

My problem is I'm far too curious for my own good. If something new is out there (especially if it's free) I like to get into it and learn all about it. It stops working in FEB anyway. Probably when they plan to do public release.

Most probably. I'm sometimes the same way, although Microsoft has been a great deal of annoyance to me, so I prefer not to get hands in on their new tools because they tend to screw it up horribly, or add some sort of spying program or task in the background.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

That's fair enough.

Most probably. I'm sometimes the same way, although Microsoft has been a great deal of annoyance to me, so I prefer not to get hands in on their new tools because they tend to screw it up horribly, or add some sort of spying program or task in the background.

Oh yeah no kidding. I took great pleasure in disabling some of that s**t in Win7. Now I've got to learn a whole new way again. I was getting so good at Win7 technical stuff too. Haha.

Favourite past-time was changing task-bar text colour to black, just 'coz it would look better with my theme.

Dangerous Knife

BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

That's fair enough.

Oh yeah no kidding. I took great pleasure in disabling some of that s**t in Win7. Now I've got to learn a whole new way again. I was getting so good at Win7 technical stuff too. Haha.

Favourite past-time was changing task-bar text colour to black, just 'coz it would look better with my theme.

I still keep with the conts for Windows 7, however I have the small-mode setup so that I can use my programs more easier, with more space!

That's pretty cool though, I wonder how the Windows Community will handle with Windows 10, might be interesting to find out.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

That's fair enough.

I still keep with the conts for Windows 7, however I have the small-mode setup so that I can use my programs more easier, with more space!

That's pretty cool though, I wonder how the Windows Community will handle with Windows 10, might be interesting to find out.

I can't find seem to find any good dedicated forum outside of the Microsoft support community.

Might look for a subreddit for it. If there's not one, guess I'll make one just so there's something.

Dangerous Knife

BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx
BRAZEKOOL
cranium coccyx

That's fair enough.

I can't find seem to find any good dedicated forum outside of the Microsoft support community.

Might look for a subreddit for it. If there's not one, guess I'll make one just so there's something.

It's still very new, so there's yet to be something, it's also very early and probably most files are hidden inside it pretty well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff