Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Shoujo

I'm going to try to make this short and concise. I got a new wireless modem/router today in order to expand my "allowed free data usage". However, I also have a Time Capsule (that PoS Apple router that backs up your computers) and use it for wi-fi. So the NEW router (Router #1) is what the cable is connected to, and the Time Capsule (Router #2) is connected to that. I was wondering if there was a way for me to turn off the wi-fi signal for Router #1, and just use Router #2's wi-fi instead of having two signals in my house. I can feel and see the cancerous waves emitting from the two routers and i don't want to die please someone help me.

TL;DR :

- Bought new modem
- Use different Router for wi-fi
- Want to turn off Modem's w-fi
- Don't want to die

here is a beautiful illustration I did to show my set up:

User Image
You need to understand that radio waves are not harmful.

Original Shoujo

Disconsented
You need to understand that radio waves are not harmful.
I was told there was a way to turn off the wifi signal for the new router though, but it did not come with any instructions or anything. (I did not even buy it my dad did and he basically said here you go, you draw on the computer so you must be a computer engineer, and asked me to set this PoS up.) I would feel much more comfortable if there weren't two wi-fi signals being emitted from the same room I spend 10+ hours a day working in.

I have almost no computer know how.
So where is the second router in the network?
Disconsented
A Time Capsule is a router.
Saka Wannabe
I'm going to try to make this short and concise. I got a new wireless modem/router today in order to expand my "allowed free data usage". However, I also have a Time Capsule (that PoS Apple router that backs up your computers) and use it for wi-fi. So the NEW router (Router #1) is what the cable is connected to, and the Time Capsule (Router #2) is connected to that. I was wondering if there was a way for me to turn off the wi-fi signal for Router #1, and just use Router #2's wi-fi instead of having two signals in my house. I can feel and see the cancerous waves emitting from the two routers and i don't want to die please someone help me.

TL;DR :

- Bought new modem
- Don't want to die

User Image
IEEE 802.11 wireless signals are not cancer-causing or otherwise harmful in any way. Fewer competing wireless networks can (potentially) improve performance though. It's minor, but true.

If the box from your ISP is providing wireless then you need to find out its login information in order to log into it and turning off its access point. If you give us your router/modem (often referred to by ISPs as a "gateway" ) model number we might be able to look that up for you and help you out.
Minion4Hire
Disconsented
A Time Capsule is a router.
Ah.
@OP the router should have a button labeled Wi-Fi otherwise you going to need to get the model of the router and find the manual online for instructions.

Original Shoujo

Minion4Hire
Saka Wannabe

TL;DR :

- Bought new modem
- Don't want to die

User Image
IEEE 802.11 wireless signals are not cancer-causing or otherwise harmful in any way. Fewer competing wireless networks can (potentially) improve performance though. It's minor, but true.

If the box from your ISP is providing wireless then you need to find out its login information in order to log into it and turning off its access point. If you give us your router/modem (often referred to by ISPs as a "gateway" wink model number we might be able to look that up for you and help you out.

Disconsented

I'd just like to thank both of you for the help in advance..

The box provided by my ISP is a Hitron Technologies product (Model name: CGN2-ROG). It came with a USB Key, which I used to set up a WPA password, but I could not find anywhere in there a way to turn off the wireless access point.

There was also a card with a URL followed by some numbers and dots, a username, and a password (I'm assuming to change the settings on the router) but the log in was not accepted. I thought perhaps it may be because I changed the wireless password to a WPA, but even that ppassword did not work.
Saka Wannabe
Minion4Hire
Saka Wannabe

TL;DR :

- Bought new modem
- Don't want to die

User Image

If the box from your ISP is providing wireless then you need to find out its login information in order to log into it and turning off its access point. If you give us your router/modem (often referred to by ISPs as a "gateway" wink model number we might be able to look that up for you and help you out.

Disconsented

The box provided by my ISP is a Hitron Technologies product (Model name: CGN2-ROG). It came with a USB Key, which I used to set up a WPA password, but I could not find anywhere in there a way to turn off the wireless access point.

There was also a card with a URL followed by some numbers and dots, a username, and a password (I'm assuming to change the settings on the router) but the log in was not accepted. I thought perhaps it may be because I changed the wireless password to a WPA, but even that ppassword did not work.

Page 87 tells you how to disable wireless
Saka Wannabe

It's likely that the setup application you ran from the USB key also had you change the administrative login password.

The numbers with dots you should enter into the Address Bar of a web browser. Press enter and you should be able to type in that username and password. If the printed password doesn't work, you can try your WPA password, but if it's not that then you'll need to figure out if you have changed that password during setup. Worst case you'll need to call your ISP to get in. They should also be able to help guide you through disabling wireless, so it's not a bad idea in general.

Original Shoujo

Disconsented
Saka Wannabe
Minion4Hire
Saka Wannabe

TL;DR :

- Bought new modem
- Don't want to die

User Image

Disconsented

Page 87 tells you how to disable wireless
THANK YOU!

YOU RULE. YOU BOTH HAVE MY BLESSINGS AND I'LL SEND YOU EACH A LITTLE GIFT TO EXPRESS MY GRATITUDE!
Worth noting is that you should probably also reconfigure your Time Capsule so that you're not double-NATed. It's not the end of the world but you might as well set it up properly. Basically you just need to disable DHCP on the Time Capsule. I can't remember what the exact setting is called on, but the value is "Off (bridged)" or something to that effect.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff